Sensor gone bad? or my new Lens?

Advertisement (gone after registration)

So I bought a new (used) WATE last night and took it for a spin. i am seeing this stupid line on top of all images, is this a lens issue or a sensor issue? Can you please suggest? See below image

Many thanks.. I am fairly new to Leica so let me know if its a DUH. 

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Edited by bozu_shutterbugger

Post a regular image with no cropping.

Thanks - Check top left. Here is what i have done so far

- Format the card

- Reset settings

- Switched computers to try different card readers. 

- tried different ISO. 

In the LCD i dont see this line but when i get in the computer the line shows up

I tried a different card from my other M240. Do you think it could be that I started using a EVF & and WATE that might have triggered something? Should I find a way to hard reset this thing? 

Here is a B+w image. I converted this from DNG so you can see the white line. Everything was working fine until i switched to WATE and started using the EVF. Now what does this have to do with the Line issue. its baffling. Now i am reading about remapping the sensor. Thats applicable to M9 what about M240.

I am not far from Leica NJ. I can take it there, do you think they will charge me for such things? I purchased this camera used from a Authorized & well known dealer. 

All guidance appreciated. Thanks, 

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I have never seen anything like this but it does look like coming from sensor (because it is very sharp). Just to be sure try resetting and upload latest firmware. I doubt it will cure but rule it out before making a trip to Leica.

I have never seen anything like this but it does look like coming from sensor (because it is very sharp). Just to be sure try resetting and upload latest firmware. I doubt it will cure but rule it out before making a trip to Leica.

Jayant, I have the latest firmware will it allow me to still update. Do you know if this will be covered for free?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

There appears to be something amiss with the sensor, perhaps a cracked cover glass. 

Have a look at the sensor. To do so, enter the sensor cleaning mode without cleaning or even touching the sensor. The line might be visible close to the bottom edge of the sensor.

• Like 1

Looks odd for a crack. I'd doubt the lens. Given the fade on it it seems more like an artifact in the file. If it is the sensor the you should be able,to see it on the LCD when you zoom in. I'd suspect see it even in live view.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Ah - the image in post #3 shows two things near the top border: the line we're discussing here and a darkish band. The band seems to be the ceiling of the room. The actual problem is the faint white line which rather looks like a stuck pixel. Send the camera to Leica to map out the line.

• Like 2

You need to eliminate possible causes. So put camera on a tripod and find a subject which clearly shows the problem, then shoot using several lenses and several cards to eliminate these variables. If the line persists in all images then its the camera - and it does look most likely that a sensor remap is needed

• Like 1

Ah - the image in post #3 shows two things near the top border: the line we're discussing here and a darkish band. The band seems to be the ceiling of the room. The actual problem is the faint white line which rather looks like a stuck pixel. Send the camera to Leica to map out the line.

yea it's like a faint white line. Does anyone know what causes this? The EVF? I don't get it. Is this common for m240?

yea it's like a faint white line. Does anyone know what causes this? The EVF? I don't get it. Is this common for m240?

Looks odd for a crack. I'd doubt the lens. Given the fade on it it seems more like an artifact in the file. If it is the sensor the you should be able,to see it on the LCD when you zoom in. I'd suspect see it even in live view.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I think the same way. Why don't I see this line in live view or play back or evf. I tried various sd cards and it still persist. Gonna try and update firm ware and see.

Jayant, I have the latest firmware will it allow me to still update. Do you know if this will be covered for free?

Others have given excellent suggestions to make sure whether it is coming from sensor (most probably it is). You don't see in LCD or EVF because it uses processed jpeg for viewing. It is also worth checking out whether camera produced jpeg files also have this issue or it is only in dng.

Sensor mapping should be a simple work for Leica. I don't know whether they charge but if they do then it should be small. It always pays to speak to them directly about the issue.

I don't think it is a common issue. I have seen only handful of sensor related posts in this forum.

• Like 1

Does look like a sensor fault but I thought its only CCDs that cause the line with a stuck pixel? not cmos. Why Leica haven't included built in sensor remap in there cameras I don't know, I have a few stuck pixels on my M9 no lines if I want it fixed has to go all the way to Germay while my Canon 1dxs work cameras can do a sensor remap in about 2 minutes!

I don't think it is a common issue. I have seen only handful of sensor related posts in this forum.

Does look like a sensor fault but I thought its only CCDs that cause the line with a stuck pixel? not cmos. Why Leica haven't included built in sensor remap in there cameras I don't know, I have a few stuck pixels on my M9 no lines if I want it fixed has to go all the way to Germay while my Canon 1dxs work cameras can do a sensor remap in about 2 minutes!

I see it better now.

Leica NJ should be able to map it out.

There was only 1 article I found that was similar to this on the M240. I think it has something to do with the EVF. I updated the firmware and that changed nothing. The line is displayed in the JPG image as well. My dealer sent my images to Leica Tech and is waiting to hear back. lets see where this lands. I am a bit disappointed but really glad with the support i get from this group, my dealer and Leica...