SL vs M10... when owning a M(240)

didier

If the M10 had video..it might be the perfect camera for these kind of realities..just switch back and forth between video and stills..in a moments notice..

I agree, if the M10 had reasonable video (1080p would be fine) then it would be great for kids and I would get one.

Edited by matnz

Sensor supplier through Panasonic, EVF Panasonic, electronics Panasonic, video implementation Panasonic, processor Fujitsu, What else?

A Japanese horror box in a Hermes dress? :D

Software and lens are both Leica though and that the SL can use M lenses as natively as if it were an M.

Certainly quite true as others have said that (little) kids require a stupefying load of support material and equipment when taking them anywhere. So, SL for the times when you can manage the extra cargo of a real camera, and iPhone for everything else. The size/weight difference of the M10 vs SL won't be a significant factor in the context of the overall payload you'll be hauling, but the SL will have some nice advantages when you want them, like the stabilized zooms. For my taste, the SL is just plain superior to the M240 or M10. YMMV.

Advertisement (gone after registration)

If you remove the handgrip, EVF, dual SD cards, GPS, weather sealing and dual cards from the SL, it is smaller than the M10 size wise so depends on whether you want these features. The SL + 24-90 is a lot smaller than the M10 with a similar range of m-lenses, and is far more versatile.  If you are concerned with weight/bulk of the SL zooms then the T zoom lenses are an option -check out Jono Slacks photos of family using with the 18-56 on the SL https://lightroom.adobe.com/shares/4b64ca2a6ce84d1189af3b40dd2e446d. I would think, if you are travelling with your baby to visit the grandparents out of town, what camera/lens would you take if you are limited to a small shoulder bag (1/2 of which will be filler with diapers etc).  For me at the moment it would be the SL + 24-90, but I think I am going to get the TL 18-56 and squeeze it in a front pocket for when weight is a major factor.

• Like 1

Software and lens are both Leica though and that the SL can use M lenses as natively as if it were an M.

Of course, but I was responding to a post which was somewhat in denial of the real-world qualities of the products of the Japanese camera industry. 

I have both cameras and love them both. But if you're choosing one to document your child growing up get the SL. Some events (blowing out birthday cake candies, opening Christmas presents, first steps, first time riding without training wheels, school performances, events where you can't be in the front row etc) are just so much easier to capture with a zoom, AF and OIS. Furthermore, the ability to grab some stills and then switch to video will give you many priceless snippets of short movies of your child. Weather sealing helps too... fear not the beach/pool/rain soaked sports field.

The M10 is a wonderful rangefinder, but the SL is much more versatile and better for your needs. This is especially so because you'll still have your M240 as well... best of both worlds but I bet you'll end up picking up the SL for those events where you can't risk missing the shot. And with the video capability you may actually find the M240 better than the M10 fir your use case anyway. A highly personal choice and of course any of these cameras will make you gorgeous photos, but if it's a single M10 vs an SL & M240 combo I'd go with the latter.

• Like 1