Why a TL like body can't fit in a full frame sensor

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Think not possible. Someone correct me if I am wrong who actually knows the physics. To get a lens to fully project on larger full frame sensor, needs more distance. So, the body would need to be thicker, like the M or the SL. Plus, my guess, as the sensor is larger on FF, the height of the camera would need more room.

I haven't quite figured out why Leica made the T and the SL the same mount, except maybe hoping more buy both.

Edited by Belle123

Think not possible. Someone correct me if I am wrong who actually knows the physics. To get a lens to fully project on larger full frame sensor, needs more distance. So, the body would need to be thicker, like the M or the SL. Plus, my guess, as the sensor is larger on FF, the height of the camera would need more room.

I haven't quite figured out why Leica made the T and the SL the same mount, except maybe hoping more buy both.

The mount to sensor distance in the TL and SL is identical, and so their basic body thicknesses (excluding grips etc) are the same. A SL lens would project onto a full frame sensor in a TL body, as would a M lens in a M-L adapter. Its not the body that's the problem, its whether the lens is designed with an image circle big enough - those for TL lenses are not.

• Like 1

Battery life is a good argument. SL battery power capacity is about 2.1x of TL. If a new SL using the TL battery, the battery life would drop from 400 to 190. Considering the new TL2 battery life is dropped to 250, 190 is not that unacceptible.

Heat dissipation is not a problem, in fact TL body is a much better heat sink per unit area or volume than SL.

One more issue might be the handling and balance with SL lens. The TL body could be too light or too small. It could make sense if Leica is working on full frame lenses with size between the SL and TL. But this is unlikely in the near future.

Edited by Einst_Stein

Not sure the price point of FF would be attractive, and FF also has its issues.
Am I the only one who thinks the APS-H size of the M8 was the sweet spot for digital in terms of size/price/performance with all lenses? Now that would suit the T (or X) nicely. APS-C feels just like a bit too much crop. 

This is a pity, I would pick up a 35mm TL. 

Peter

Edited by Peter_S

Not sure the price point of FF would be attractive, and FF also has its issues.

Am I the only one who thinks the APS-H size of the M8 was the sweet spot for digital in terms of size/price/performance with all lenses? Now that would suit the T (or X) nicely. APS-C feels just like a bit too much crop.

Get any new M. If full frame is too large for you. Crop it to match your M8.

Leica designs their interchangeable lens cameras so that all Leica lenses can fit on all cameras. The Leica T family has a very thin body. To use Leica FF lenses on this camera, the distance from the sensor plane to the lens has to match the original distance of the camera for which the lens was designed. That is what the lens adapters are for. So, assuming there was enough room for a FF sensor, which I doubt, the camera body would have to grow thicker or the lens adapters would have to be longer. Short story: FF probably won't fit in the body unless it is made higher and thicker. The T was made to fit.1 into a more affordable price bracket so that meant smaller and lighter lenses which results in the smaller APSC sensor. As the saying goes, if it ain't broke, don't fix it. If you want a FF Leica, buy a Q for more money and if you want interchangeable lenses, you'll have to buy an M or SL. The other option is to change brands, but then it wouldn't be a Leica.

Leica T with Novoflex adapter and FF Nikon 180mm f/2.8 

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Edited by jevidon
  • Like 1

I think the register distance (mount to sensor plane) for the TL and SL is the same, so a full frame TL wouldn't need to be thicker or necessarily bigger.  No adapter is needed for SL lenses on the TL ...

But, the APS-C lenses are smaller, and therefore lighter, than the SL lenses.  I'm sure a comparison of the L mount 11-23mm zoom for the TL (APS-C) with the new L mount 16-35mm zoom for the SL will bear that out.

Edited by IkarusJohn
  • Like 3

SL, M, R and other lenses already fit and work on the T/TL with existing adapters. Body thickness is irrelevant to whether they work on FF or APS-C sensors, and there's no optical reason why the body would have to be higher or wider. A full frame image circle is already projected into the body at the sensor plane with these lenses. It's just down to whether a larger FF sensor can be fitted in the space (and whether the extra heat can be controlled etc).

• Like 4

SL, M, R and other lenses already fit and work on the T/TL with existing adapters. Body thickness is irrelevant to whether they work on FF or APS-C sensors, and there's no optical reason why the body would have to be higher or wider. A full frame image circle is already projected into the body at the sensor plane with these lenses. It's just down to whether a larger FF sensor can be fitted in the space (and whether the extra heat can be controlled etc).

well it fits in the rx1 http://camerasize.com/compare/#717,468

• Like 1