Running repairs on Rondinax Daylight Tanks - leak prevention

wlaidlaw

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I have just acquired a pair of Rondinax tanks, a 35U and a 60 for 120 film. They are both complete and in very nice condition. Neither are actually leaking at the moment, although I noticed that the rubber spindle seal on the spiral winding knob on the 60 was rock hard with no "squish" at all. As far as I could ascertain, the original seals are no longer available. However I found that 3 of these M10 x 21mm neoprene "penny" washers make a perfect replacement for the original seal http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/BLACK-NEOPRENE-RUBBER-PENNY-WASHERS-M5-M6-M8-M10-M12-20mm-25mm-30mm-40mm-50mm/122407113925?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&var=422880328376&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649. You must first very carefully remove the hard/low friction washer at the tank side of the seal and if like mine, is likely to be stuck to the old seal. I then cleaned the knob's spindle, the hard washer and the face of the tank with benzene (Zippo lighter fluid). I then reassembled the whole lot with a modest amount of silicone/teflon grease (Turbo Lube). I filled the tank to the top and put in a couple of drops of Adoflo to reduce the surface tension. After a few minutes and a fair amount of winding, not a drop of water has escaped. At the massive cost of £3.89, I feel this was a worthwhile buy. Being neoprene, they should last longer than the original rubber seal and will see me out. When I get back to the UK, where I have a motor-trade box in my garage, with every imaginable size of "O" ring in it, I will also replace the small seal on the locking screw shaft.

The seals are the same for both tanks. The shaft is 11mm, over which the M10 washers (10.6mm hole) are a secure but not tight fit. 

Wilson

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 4