M10 Black & White

Eric1

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I've found myself recently choosing to use the black and white mode on the M10 and I really like it. I turn up the contrast and saturation to high. I was wondering what other people thought of using the black and white mode. I was really suprised how good it looked.

I do B&W conversion in Photoshop.

I use B&W mode sometimes when using the Visoflex EVF when I want to focus mainly on composition and tones and not be distracted by color. Because I'm always recording RAW, I can always bring the color back in editing if I want it.

• Like 1

Pic samples or it never happened.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Edited by arno_nyhm
  • Like 9
  • Thanks 2

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Best to shoot RAW and then convert to B&W.  Setting the camera to monochrome in the JPEG menu does provide you with a B&W preview in the LCD which can be useful.  That is because there is a small JPEG embedded in the DNG RAW file which is what you see when you play back on the camera or view a preview.  

Edited by tbonanno
  • Like 5

Altho I only shoot RAW with the M10 I have the 3 second jpg playback view in Black & White. It is much easier and less distracting (for me) to gauge the effectiveness of my shots using the tonality of B&W. I use a half-leather case with a cover over the LCD so do not chimp very often but when I do it's in B&W!

Oh, and "erl", I already have an M246.

• Like 3

I am sure you enjoy it.

I was about to 'jump' for one and then the M10 appeared. Coming from an M9, it was a sensible step for me.

Yes, I think those folks who have an M9, tho they are die-hard lovers of that camera and have kept them thru the great and not-so-great times, are prime candidates for the upgrade the M10 provides. M9 owners ought to be congratulated for buying a camera and sticking with it to REALLY learn all its 'moods' instead of jumping to buy the latest and greatest each and every time there is a new camera. I know Leica doesn't want most of us to follow that philosophy, as they are in the business of selling cameras and lenses, but we all know it's true!

(I have heard that the company will stop replacing the sensor for free after August. Even tho I know it's about economics - how long can a company keep supporting an older product? - it's a shame as M9 (and M8) owners have been a special breed whose camera loyalty we should all applaud.)

• Like 6

Thanks for the comments and posts! I shoot in raw too but like the jpeg b/w for fun, a habit i picked up on my ricoh gr. I really think the m10 is as good as monochrom, if not better.

Don't have a Moncohrom to compare to the M10 side by side.  My friends tell me the Monochrome would be hard to beat, but the M10 is unquestionably an excellent B&W tool also.  I use my M10 pretty much exclusively for B&W (converted from RAW).  The new sensor really shines and has made the upgrade from my 262 a no brainer.

Edited by tbonanno
  • Like 3

I was comparing the M10 b&w with my M246 Monochrom, a few landscape shots around my house in good light was not much of a test but I could not tell the difference, however I took a picture of one of my dogs in his basket with both cameras, I was shocked to see that the M10 produced the best shot. I will do some more but it has put a large doubt in my mind as to how effective the Monochrom now is. As a b&w only camera I can still see the charm but if the M10 is very good it will make me think twice about keeping it.

• Like 2

Shot in DNG and converted in Lightroom.

• Like 6