What next?

Advertisement (gone after registration)

So, I sold my M-P 240 and now have regrets. Why did I do that? Mostly because I wasn't very good at focusing my 50 lux wide open. I've thought about buying the same camera on the used market but life is too short to go backwards. Now I am considering the M262, the M10 and especially the M-D. The M10 involves a wait so I am thinking M-D now then possibly M-P 10 in 2018.

My worry is that the M-D will massively decrease my keeper rate due to exposure errors. I will shoot less wide open shots and probably limit myself to f2.4 for close subjects. My technique with the 240 was to check for blinkies after each shot and adjust exposure compensation accordingly. I also shoot film but unlike digital, film is very good at preserving the highlights.

M-D owners, how has your skill in judging exposure compensation improved? I expect I will be able to learn how to use centre weighted metering better with the M-D. Does the exif include exposure compensation data? Do you bracket exposure or bracket focus because you can't check the results? Do you compromise on aperture to increase your hit rate?

I hear the M10 is easier to focus with the RF. How much of an improvement is this? I.e. Change to hit rate at 50/1.4?

I am partly put off the 262 by the red dot and like the M-D much more aesthetically. I suspect I just need a gentle push in the M-D direction to make my mind up. Anyone buy it and regret it?

Thanks in advance for your help

Paul

The only reason I have LCD in use is due to exposure inaccuracy with most of the digital cameras in AE mode. My M-E seems to be one of the worst cameras for it, even M8 was better in AE. Don't know if M262 is significantly better to trust AE mode, if in use. Few months ago I lost old Lumix P&S with Leica zoom in it. It was the only camera I used to have which was nailing exposure to me in AE mode. Always... Not to mention Leica rendering.

• Like 1