How to obtain 'free' Adobe Lightroom (standalone)?

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Hi,

When I bought my Leica Q, one card had a code that could be used to obtain a standalone version of Lightroom (version 6, I believe).  It took a L O N G time :wacko:, but I finally upgraded my computer system and now would like to download Lightroom (Standalone version) if possible ...

However, looking at Adobe's website

http://www.adobe.com/products/photoshop-lightroom.html

it's not clear how I can do this.  How have others done this ... or am I too late, and Adobe now only offers monthly 'Creative Cloud' subscriptions and services?  It seems like some hoops have to be jumped through in order to redeem a standalone version of Lightroom ...?   :(

Many thanks in advance for your help!

Many thanks!

Alas, my attempted redemption says that Lightroom 6 has been replaced by a free 90-day subscription to Adobe Lightroom Creative Cloud, and other services.

<Sigh>  Oh well ...  :(

Goto the Leica Member's Area and login (create an account if you don't have one).

Register your camera if you haven't already.

They have an area where you can enter your TAN number to download software.

https://owners.leica-camera.com/en/login

If you have the Tan-number you can get a serial for Lightroom 6 from Leica. Then you download the product here: https://helpx.adobe.com/lightroom/kb/lightroom-downloads.html

And then follow part of the instructions here: https://helpx.adobe.com/creative-cloud/help/download-install-single-app-Lightroom-6.html

Then you are all set.

• Like 2

If you have the Tan-number you can get a serial for Lightroom 6 from Leica. Then you download the product here: https://helpx.adobe.com/lightroom/kb/lightroom-downloads.html

And then follow part of the instructions here: https://helpx.adobe.com/creative-cloud/help/download-install-single-app-Lightroom-6.html

Then you are all set.

Many thanks matlep!  I phoned Leica US, and they instructed me to email software-support@leica-camera.com requesting a serial number.  I don't know if I'm too late, and am keeping my fingers crossed!

Thanks again!

Advertisement (gone after registration)

You are not too late. I did the same procedure in march.

Many thanks again matlep!

Unfortunately, Leica's email response that I received denied my request for a standalone version, and again pushed me towards the Creative Cloud free 90 day subscription-based service.

I've emailed Leica back.  Yes, I know that my request is rather late, but given the fact (via your generous links) that LR6 (standalone) is still offered and available on Adobe's website (and even Amazon's, as well), I am not happy that Leica is basically unwilling to fulfill one part of my original product purchase (a standalone version of LR6) even though that product is still readily available and (to me) they could simply do so if they wanted to.  If LR6 standalone were not available, then I would of course understand ... but their official position just doesn't seem right to me (IMHO) ...  :(

Thanks again -- if things change, I'll certainly post back!  <Sigh>

You are not too late. I did the same procedure in march.

The Leica rep refused again.  He implied that you must have obtained your license number much earlier, and that since I hadn't done so, I'm out of luck.

"This only works, if you’ve receive an Adobe Lightroom 6 license number in the past, using the redemption code we have sent out about a year ago to our customer that was valid for Lightroom 6. Then customers who download Lightroom 6 and installed it in the past can use the Adobe provided license number to download Adobe 6 from Adobes website. Sorry, but again, there is nothing I can do for you. The customer who posted this must have own a valid Lightroom 6 license number."

With regards to the last sentence above, obviously, I would presume that an owner of LR6 has a valid license number -- the only question in my mind is *when* this license number was obtained.  If you obtained the license number recently, matlep, then the Leica rep's statement clearly doesn't correlate.

Has anyone dealt with Leica 'customer care' (customer.care@leica-camera.com), or is it just pointless at this stage?  It just doesn't make sense why I am being refused a product that I was supposedly entitled to even though that same product currently exists and is readily downloadable.

That was strange. Who did you contact at Leica? I would recommend you to send an e-mail to cs@leica-camera.com and explain your issue. If it says standalone license for you camera on the box then then it damn well should be so. 

• Like 1

That was strange. Who did you contact at Leica? I would recommend you to send an e-mail to cs@leica-camera.com and explain your issue. If it says standalone license for you camera on the box then then it damn well should be so. 

Is the 'cs' email address an address to a specific person, or do you mean the customer service email address?  I'll have to check my box/documentation to see if there's any mention of 'standalone', but the camera was  purchased *before* Adobe went to the CC route ...

The email I got back from Leica was from a very specific person, but I'll leave his/her name out of this group for courtesy.

Thanks again!

The adress is to Customer Service at Wetzlar. A reply usually comes back from a specific person. But it is a good way to start. 

Well, customer.care@leica-camera.com resulted in yet another response from software-support@leica-camera.com, with the same essential (Creative Cloud) response.  They said that they stopped giving the Standalone version over a year ago.  I'm not sure how you managed to get your license in March 2017.

I guess I'll start looking for LR alternatives ... lots to learn!

Affinity Photo is meant to be quite good - now available on the PC as well as the Mac - and reasonably priced. Might be worth a look. I took the plunge with CC but still feel a bit sore about becoming a hostage to Adobe and their marketing model!

• Like 1

Well, customer.care@leica-camera.com resulted in yet another response from software-support@leica-camera.com, with the same essential (Creative Cloud) response.  They said that they stopped giving the Standalone version over a year ago.  I'm not sure how you managed to get your license in March 2017.

I feel for you...  :unsure:

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Just because Leica choose not to supply it doesn't mean you cant buy it. It is not that expensive considering how much you have paid for the camera. There are several places online to buy Ligtroom 6. Here is one example: https://www.amazon.com/Adobe-65237578-Photoshop-Lightroom-6/dp/B00VWCKJVA/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1505153220&sr=8-1&keywords=lightroom+6

Try ON1. The interface is quite intuitive for people used to LR.  They have excellent tutorials on their site as well.

The person behind the software is Maft Kloskowsky, well known as Photoshop/Lightroom guru.

• Like 1

Try ON1. The interface is quite intuitive for people used to LR.  They have excellent tutorials on their site as well.

The person behind the software is Maft Kloskowsky, well known as Photoshop/Lightroom guru.

Are you sure that Matt is still with On1? I am pretty sure that he is gone, and he was never "behind" the software, other than as an educator and promoter.

Personally, I like On1 very much and have been using it since v7. The latest version, On1 Photo RAW, is still an unfinished project, but it does have some very slick and powerful tools. I do not use it for raw conversions, as Photo Ninja is still the best for that purpose, IMO.

Rob

Just because Leica choose not to supply it doesn't mean you cant buy it. It is not that expensive considering how much you have paid for the camera. There are several places online to buy Ligtroom 6. Here is one example: https://www.amazon.com/Adobe-65237578-Photoshop-Lightroom-6/dp/B00VWCKJVA/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1505153220&sr=8-1&keywords=lightroom+6

However... the standalone version hasn't been updated in about a year and is missing several features that are available in the CC version.  I believe Adobe has said there will be no more updates to the standalone version.

However... the standalone version hasn't been updated in about a year and is missing several features that are available in the CC version.  I believe Adobe has said there will be no more updates to the standalone version.

But it still works perfectly with the Q ;)