Jono on the new Leica TL2

Late as always - but I'd also like to say I enjoy reading your (Jono's) Leica Camera "stories" and I certainly value the positive tone they are written in (as far as I can tell, me probably not getting all the nuances of the English language). A very welcome difference to the often blatant reviews offered in youtube and others. Keep up the good work.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Nice write-up Jono - you seem to have an obsession with Asian women taking selfies! ;-)

Steve Fuff reported that AF regularly fails to lock focus in (even moderately) low light. Is that something you came across?

Steve Fuff reported that AF regularly fails to lock focus in (even moderately) low light. Is that something you came across?

I read that as well and it quite frankly would be disappointing if that were true.  It sounds too much like the current T with little to no progress.

He also has a point when he says "The EVF is still the external wart that I feel is awful. WHY OH WHY did they not incorporate it INTO the body? No other camera made today that comes to my head has an external EVF. Those days left us a while ago, and we are better off for it."

I unfortunately couldn't agree more...

• Like 1

I read that as well and it quite frankly would be disappointing if that were true.  It sounds too much like the current T with little to no progress.

He also has a point when he says "The EVF is still the external wart that I feel is awful. WHY OH WHY did they not incorporate it INTO the body? No other camera made today that comes to my head has an external EVF. Those days left us a while ago, and we are better off for it."

I unfortunately couldn't agree more...

Mr Huff exaggerrates. 

1 // No-EVF option, is overall better decision for average users, because it reduces the cost of the camera, reduces size, allows for better / optional external EVF for those who want. Say, there may be new Visoflex 2 coming out next month, with 4Million dots and incredible refreshrate; great, use it on T, TL and TL2. 

2 // External EVF prolongs the life of a camera, in-built EVF reduces it. EVF is not an OVF — it is already old the day it is released. Because the eye is inspecting it at close distance, it is aware of all flaws EVF inherently has. No EVF will ever deliver perfection of an OVF. However, LCD seen at arm's length, is not same experience as abysmal experience of a slow built-in EVFs in majority of cameras today. In case of cameras several years old now, it is their use at arm's length, without the built-in EVF, that prolongs the life of it; EVF is slow and dated, but camera still usable. 

3 // If the use of an EVF in camera is optional, one might say, well, then, it is also optional to attach an EVF. Engineering must follow rational decisions involving cost; in lower cost, but hi-quality tools, there are compromises, and, they determine the outcome.

4 // However, if the size and cost would not matter, like in case of SL, then yes, integrated EVF would make into it. But, only the best possible EVF will find way into it, and only as long as the EVF delivers; when it becomes obsolete, and it will be soon, a new SL must be issued. 

Edited by Apoqualia
  • Like 2

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Why not to take it a bit further.

One can make a cheap  extension cable from the camera to the EVF which could be easily mounted over glasses, one can flip it up when not used.

Now we have completely independent viewfinder. It could even be made wireless.

Actually you can shoot around the corner!

Jan

like google glass

Why not to take it a bit further.

One can make a cheap  extension cable from the camera to the EVF which could be easily mounted over glasses, one can flip it up when not used.

Now we have completely independent viewfinder. It could even be made wireless.

Actually you can shoot around the corner!

Jan

He also has a point when he says "The EVF is still the external wart that I feel is awful. WHY OH WHY did they not incorporate it INTO the body? No other camera made today that comes to my head has an external EVF. Those days left us a while ago, and we are better off for it."[/size]

I u[/size]nfortunately [/size]couldn't agree more...[/size]

On the EVF I think his comment is a bit inconsistent with what he says about the camera being a Leica for the smartphone/touchscreen generation. That crown doesn't care much for an EVF.