Jono on the new Leica TL2

A very helpful review - thank you!

Two quick points:

(1) your last two shots are especially impressive...great 3-D pop, very sharp, exceptional color. Both were taken with the Summilux 35/1.4. I hope Leica is/was able to improve the slight AF delay you noticed using this lens with pre-release firmware. Outstanding IQ from that lens!

2) I second your wish for Leica to add future APS-C models, especially a "Mini SL." Now THAT would be a GREAT complimentary system to the SL, small, lightweight, offering a 1.5 crop factor, and able to use both TL and SL lenses!

• Like 3

I'm just happy that Leica decided not to scrap the thing like they had done with some other camera lines. I had a T, didn't like it, and then got another one because I saw the shots people were getting. The original T is definitely an acquired taste, it looks like the new one will be better.

Just an FYI to the Leica store San Francisco. If a user comes in, says they are having an issue with a strap pin not locking in all the time, don't just say from behind your counter;

"Oh, I think that's just the way it is sometimes."

It may not be a $6000 body (by itself), but this is going to be someone's first experience with Leica. Don't be a Maroon. I hate snooty.

Edited by fastfashn

I'm just happy that Leica decided not to scrap the thing like they had done with some other camera lines. I had a T, didn't like it, and then got another one because I saw the shots people were getting. The original T is definitely an acquired taste, it looks like the new one will be better.

Just an FYI to the Leica store San Francisco. If a user comes in, says they are having an issue with a strap pin not locking in all the time, don't just say from behind your counter;

"Oh, I think that's just the way it is sometimes."

It may not be a $6000 body (by itself), but this is going to be someone's first experience with Leica. Don't be a Maroon. I hate snooty.

What that has to do with Jono's review of the TL2?

Jono is the man. One reads through his experience and enthusiasm, and wider understanding of things; photographer's mind I'd say.

On the other hand, there is nothing worse than come to a website like the DPR, and look through the mess of random shots they call "the gallery" (it really looks like someone's lunch was thrown over the table), snapped without any sense. Or God forbid, sensibility. 

Those things vex me greatly.

Therefore if you read these lines, thanks Jono, for keeping the common sense in the industry where it is wildly abused. 

Edited by Apoqualia
  • Like 4

Perhaps it is just me ... but this is one of the most tepid reviews from Jono that I have read in the last 5 years.

Honestly ... can be summed up in the sense that the sensor is a bit improved.

May be that the TL was good enough that the improvements are not ones that moves one's expectations or

sets his desire aflame.

Good to see Leica supporting a camera rather than dropping it and moving the bar ....

For me ... seeing Scarlett playing the recorder ... priceless.

Bob

Thanks for sharing the review. I wanted to be excited about the TL2 but the overall design again appeals to a different crowd from myself. I think the shots by Jono is particularly telling:

1. Advertised to shoot at ISO50,000 but not usable at ISO6400

2. AF is still problematic - I see two generic sample shots OOF

Its an easy decision to give this a pass then. Strange as it sounds, the APS-C smaller body camera gap is still yet to be filled by a serious contender - Leica, Fuji and Sony all have their deficiencies.

Thanks for sharing the review. I wanted to be excited about the TL2 but the overall design again appeals to a different crowd from myself. I think the shots by Jono is particularly telling:

1. Advertised to shoot at ISO50,000 but not usable at ISO6400

2. AF is still problematic - I see two generic sample shots OOF

Its an easy decision to give this a pass then. Strange as it sounds, the APS-C smaller body camera gap is still yet to be filled by a serious contender - Leica, Fuji and Sony all have their deficiencies.

Hi Gary

1. I found 6400 to be completely usable, even in really poor light - did I really say otherwise? (bangs head to check if bits fall off :) )

• Like 1

Perhaps it is just me ... but this is one of the most tepid reviews from Jono that I have read in the last 5 years.

Honestly ... can be summed up in the sense that the sensor is a bit improved.

May be that the TL was good enough that the improvements are not ones that moves one's expectations or

sets his desire aflame.

Good to see Leica supporting a camera rather than dropping it and moving the bar ....

For me ... seeing Scarlett playing the recorder ... priceless.

Bob

Hi There Bob

Sorry to seem tepid . . . and count yourself lucky that you just saw Scarlett playing the recorder :)

• Like 1

This is not a review.  Reviews present pros & cons.

Quite right too - although I think I did point out one or two cons - but you are completely correct - it's not really possible to test a camera and review it at the same time - one has split loyalties. 

I certainly don't call my articles reviews.

• Like 1