LUF Admin

Leica TL2 officially announced!

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Hopefully Leica finds the time to ship a few to the US as well before Xmas... 

Likely a major logistical exercise to try and satisfy all Leica worldwide dealers' potential customers at the launch of a new camera … expect stocks have shipped during past few weeks and dealers obliged to keep quiet until July 10. 

dunk 

At the launch of any new/revised Leica camera there are always so many negative comments (especially on DPR) … including same from Leica forum members who are always dissatisfied with whatever Leica introduce … seems to be their mission in life to be so critical and to try and find faults and shortcomings.  Would be more to their credit if they read and fully considered the new cameras' specifications … instead of being so b_____ dogmatic with their tuppence worth of ill considered criticisms … especially when they've likely never used the cameras for any length of time themselves.

I doubt if other manufacturers' system cameras' lenses are as usable at any aperture … and in the case of zoom optics at any zoom setting … as those designed /manufactured by Leica. This is something that the armchair critics fail to grasp - because they've failed to study reviews properly and have not come to terms with Leica's objectives in the 'new era' digital age. 

Unlikely they will ever fully appreciate the design philosophy and raison d'être of the Leica SL/TL system. 

Those 'heads in the sand' critics' 20th C. Leica analogue system admiration is commendable but they need to get a bit more 'with it' and acknowledge Leica's digital camera design contributions … some of which have been and still are truly innovative. 

We're now in the 21st C. which requires 21st C. digital cameras and lenses capable of competing with other manufacturers. 

Leica will no doubt continue to cater for its analogue aficionados better than most of its competitors … so maybe the naysayers should be just a little more ready to embrace Leica's digital contributions and buy them and use them … instead of being so armchair / couch potato critical. 

dunk 

Edited by dkCambridgeshire

Again, it should be fairly simple. You could even ... If the focus assist LED were modified... in software, maybe they could swap it for a bi-color LED... you could use that as a remote optical flash trigger. Heck, they could do the same thing Apple (etc). does and make the focus assist LED an actual flashy-flash. Now THAT would make sense, AND it would not require any mods to power supplies or heat-sinking. 

ZYFRONT-LG.JPG

No, that won't work, the flash "" LED would be shaded by the lens. Could still use it as a remote trigger. Or a trigger could be built into the EVF, couldn't it?

I was wondering if anyone has posted the same shot taken with the same lens on T and TL2, RAWs developed the same. It would be nice to appreciate the improvements of the sensor.

Any T & TL2 owners out there? In the Netherlands the camera is expected in the next 3 weeks...

I was wondering if anyone has posted the same shot taken with the same lens on T and TL2, RAWs developed the same. It would be nice to appreciate the improvements of the sensor.

Any T & TL2 owners out there? In the Netherlands the camera is expected in the next 3 weeks...

There are some shots taken with the TL2 starting on the bottom of this page:

https://www.l-camera-forum.com/topic/226003-post-your-t-shots-here/page-149

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I picked up my black TL2 today.

It's fast. Very fast. EVF blackout is 90% better than the T. Faster than the XPro2. Close to the SL. Focus in low light is better but I'll need a bit more time to say how much and compare to other cameras I own (most of them....).

All it needs is a pop up flash.......

Gordon

Yes, but can you shoot weddings with it? 

I just finished reading DPR's review of the new TL2 .. Pretty negative as far as I was concerned. The reviewer talked mostly about how everything was weird and different than his regular mirrorless and dslr cameras. (Golly gee .. here is a quote).

" I couldn’t help focusing on the oddities, rather than letting myself fully engage with its material appeal."

Basically he didn't have a clue as to how to operate it. I believe the things he complained about will mean little to those of us that have and use the earlier models.

The good news is that no one will buy it and Leica will drop the price relatively quickly plus some will buy it and sell them cheap after a few disappointing shots. That is when I will buy mine.

Cheers,

Rick

Faint praise and negativity is a frequent characteristic of DPR reviews. They seem a little to stuck on conventional gear and a reluctance to get past Leica prices. Useful reviews but they need to be seen in their context.

they love sony.

Faint praise and negativity is a frequent characteristic of DPR reviews. They seem a little to stuck on conventional gear and a reluctance to get past Leica prices. Useful reviews but they need to be seen in their context.

Guest VVJ

they love sony.

DPReview is owned by Amazon.  I would guess that Amazon sells a lot more Sony cameras than Leica cameras...

1398334799leica-t-type-701-mirrorless-camera-black.jpg

Yes, it would look clunky, unless a decent industrial designer could work something up. A flash with EVF built in would be a much better solution, but I can't see Leica making one.

A C-shaped bracket (that feeds from the accessory shoe and it is attached firmly to the bottom plate tripod thread), but with two EVF/Flash shoes on it would do, so that the flash can be on the left. The bracket sits on the top plate (it nicely padded below), feeds off the accessory shoe, and is extended in opposite direction from the shutter release button, of course. The off-centre position of the additional port on it is ideal position for a flashgun anyway, and the bracket itself could be used as an additional support, and a small rig, in say, video recording via the back LCD. 

One clever little bracket and rig. If one accessory shoe can feed two ports, though?  

/applications/core/interface/imageproxy/imageproxy.php?img=https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/388802135/Pictures/2.jpg&key=f51d0268e5fff9b0aed9f6b4cc467b1a286fe4e2c25c90bdea7110e4e27065c6"> Edited by Apoqualia

A C-shaped bracket (that feeds from the accessory shoe and it is attached firmly to the bottom plate tripod thread), but with two EVF/Flash shoes on it would do, so that the flash can be on the left. The bracket sits on the top plate (it nicely padded below), feeds off the accessory shoe, and is extended in opposite direction from the shutter release button, of course. The off-centre position of the additional port on it is ideal position for a flashgun anyway, and the bracket itself could be used as an additional support, and a small rig, in say, video recording via the back LCD. 

One clever little bracket and rig. If one accessory shoe can feed two ports, though?  

/applications/core/interface/imageproxy/imageproxy.php?img=https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/388802135/Pictures/2.jpg&key=f51d0268e5fff9b0aed9f6b4cc467b1a286fe4e2c25c90bdea7110e4e27065c6">

That's a really cool idea, I just wonder if it would work electronically.  For all we know, flash and EVF functions might be mutually exclusive.

/applications/core/interface/imageproxy/imageproxy.php?img=https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/388802135/Pictures/2.jpg&key=f51d0268e5fff9b0aed9f6b4cc467b1a286fe4e2c25c90bdea7110e4e27065c6">

Sexyyyy. Anyway, the flash contacts are sep from the EVF contacts insofar as data and power looks like. Can someone get me a pic of the bottom of the EVF? The flashes were designed long before the EVF...

they love sony.

In fairness I should say I seem to dislike Sony cameras so opinions can be biased (though I don't review Sonys)

My wife had a Sony Nex-7 a while back and I never could warm up to it. I have the same reaction to the Sony R7 series, though I'm sure they are extremely capable cameras.