35mm Summicron asph v2 not sharp, low contrast

Csacwp

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I just picked up a new 35mm Summicron ASPH v2 and took it out shooting on my M246.  While the lens does focus precisely, I found it to be quite soft compared to my 50mm Summilux ASPH and very, very soft compared to my 50mm APO-Summicron ASPH.  The contrast is also quite low, lower than my 50mm Summicron Type 2 Rigid (the Rigid is also sharper).  Has anybody else had a similar experience with this lens?  Given that it is a modern aspherical design, I expected it to be very contrasty and sharper wide open than it is.  

I just picked up a new 35mm Summicron ASPH v2 and took it out shooting on my M246.  While the lens does focus precisely, I found it to be quite soft compared to my 50mm Summilux ASPH and very, very soft compared to my 50mm APO-Summicron ASPH.  The contrast is also quite low...

At most apertures, all three lenses should provide similar results, so if the 50 Summicron is radically sharper than the 50 Summilux and 35mm Summicron then you should assume that there's something badly wrong with the latter two. Real world differences are marginal between all of these lenses. 

Edited by almoore

Advertisement (gone after registration)

At most apertures, all three lenses should provide similar results, so if the 50 Summicron is radically sharper than the 50 Summilux and 35mm Summicron then you should assume that there's something badly wrong with the latter two. Real world differences are marginal between all of these lenses. 

My 50 lux was nearly as sharp as my 50 apo cron, so I don't think anything was wrong with it.  It's the 35 cron asph that's lagging behind those two.  Jdlaing saw some raw files I sent him by email, so I'll take his advice and seek support.  I'd post these in dropbox if I had any idea how, but I'm afraid I'm technologically challenged!

The 1968 90TE I bought new developed these symptoms after a few years, and I stashed it away for decades. When I got my M9 I sent the TE to Gus Lazzari, who said the rear element or group had shifted position. After return from his work it has been terrific.

I recently returned a 28mm f2.8 Elmarit ASPH model II to B&H that was downright blurry on the right-hand side of the image. Wound up getting a 21mm Super Elmar instead that is fantastic. Just return the lens for a new one. PITA, I know. Been there, done that.

They include docs showing each lens is inspected/tested before it leaves the factory, but I guess there's no telling what they may be subjected too during their trip to the final destination points of sale.

I recently returned a 28mm f2.8 Elmarit ASPH model II to B&H that was downright blurry on the right-hand side of the image. Wound up getting a 21mm Super Elmar instead that is fantastic. Just return the lens for a new one. PITA, I know. Been there, done that.

They include docs showing each lens is inspected/tested before it leaves the factory, but I guess there's no telling what they may be subjected too during their trip to the final destination points of sale.

Why not just get the same lens but a different one? Why go to a 21mm which is clearly a different lens. 

I have tried three different copies of the new Summicron 35mm asph II (the one with the metal hood). They were all exactly the same: decent sharpness in the centre wide open, but not bitingly sharp, and very soft in the corners. Corner performance gets better stopping down the lens. It is not one of the latest lens designs by Leica. The three actual 28mm lenses (Elmarit, Summicron and Summilux) are all better than the SC35mm. And you cannot compare the SC35 to the Apo-50 which I own, too. This is just next level. Nevertheless I bought the SC35 because I think it is still a good allround lens. But I might upgrade one day to the Summilux 35mm FLE which I unfortunately sold.

Re-evaluated what I wanted when I saw the issue. Had the lens been OK I would have kept it and just been satisfied with the 21mm Elmarit ASPH I already had.

At these prices, you want to make certain to get it "right", whatever right is.

Next up....decide between a 35mm f1.4 Zeiss Distagon ZM or saving for a few extra months and getting a 35/1.4 FLE instead.

Also waiting for the word from DAG, who is calibrating my 75mm f2.

I had obtained my original copy of the lens from Ken Hansen, and being the amazing dealer that he is he overnighted me a replacement.  I just tested it alongside the original lens and found it to be much sharper with more resolution and contrast.  

Don, I never expected this lens to be on-par with the APO, but I did ​expect it to be sharper than my 80mm Summilux R!  The replacement copy is far sharper, maybe about on par with my old 50 lux asph.  I like the slightly softer rendering when shooting portraits, and often the APO is far too sharp and unflattering.  

• Like 1

Re-evaluated what I wanted when I saw the issue. Had the lens been OK I would have kept it and just been satisfied with the 21mm Elmarit ASPH I already had.

At these prices, you want to make certain to get it "right", whatever right is.

Next up....decide between a 35mm f1.4 Zeiss Distagon ZM or saving for a few extra months and getting a 35/1.4 FLE instead.

Also waiting for the word from DAG, who is calibrating my 75mm f2.

I decided to take a flyer on a Voigtlander 35mm f1.7 at 40% of the price of the Zeiss and just see how it works. The reviews look very, very good. Against the light it looks outstanding compared to what I have experienced with the 35mm f2 Summicron ASPH, which is not a high bar to clear. There's no pointing the 35mm f2 ASPH anywhere near the sun and having a good outcome.

Edited by Gregm61