Leica M2 Viewfinder Condition Question

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Hi all,

I'm hugely inexperienced with the viewfinders in the classic M cameras and I'd love to get some more information about this brown spot in the corner of my M2's viewfinder--a picture is attached. I just purchased the camera from B&H in New York and love everything about the camera aside from this brown spot. It doesn't affect focusing or framing, but I'm worried that it will spread. It's visible on both sides of the viewfinder.

Is this balsam separation? Or is this something that can be handled by a regular CLA? How long before it spreads further? How much can I expect to pay to get this issue fixed?

Thanks!

Ben

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

If you ordered the camera without personal inspection, I'd contact the dealer for a discount or refund if the spot wasn't disclosed, either in pictures or description. That's my personal view, because it may require replacement of the glass or prism in a CLA. It is hard to tell exactly what it is from the photo, could be separation, or something on the prism...etc. Anyway, I'd definitely contact the dealer. as I'm sure you have an inspection period which will expire in the not too distant future. If you got such a sweet deal, maybe you can live with it. The M2 is a terrific camera.

Hard to tell from a photo but it could be separation which cannot be repaired in an M2 as I understand, you would need a replacement viewfinder assembly which is very expensive.

I note the small dent on the top plate, a sharp knock can cause separation in these cameras so personally I'd return it and look for another example.