Epson Scanners

mikemgb

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I was just doing some research on scanners, I have an Epson V600 and I was wondering what is the real difference between this and a V800, I wanted to know if the optical system was different or if it was just a different case and capabilities. I'm doing this because I will be starting to shoot 4x5 in the next few months and with my V600 I will have to scan in two passes then merge the 2 images in Photoshop, whereas the V800 will scan 4x5 in one pass.

Judging by the specificaions it would seem there are differences in the optical systems and theoretically the V800 will produce a better image than the V600.

What worries me though, is that during this research I found Epson USA shows both the V800 and V850 as out of stock and the V550 and V600 at what looks like clearance prices, I hope this doesn't mean Epson are pulling out of the photo scanning market.

https://epson.com/For-Home/Scanners/Photo-Scanners/c/h220

Guest NEIL-D-WILLIAMS

I have the V850 that I bought from Amazon in the U.K. It does a fantastic job of scanning my 4x5s and 8x10s. It will also scan 6x6and 135.

You should have a look at it

Neil

V600 is 8 years old - due for a new model. V800/850 may just be very popular.

After all, the fact that Leica M10s are out of stock many places, and Leica M9s were discounted and then discontinued, doesn't mean Leica is pulling out of the digital camera business. ;)

I have no idea just how big Epson's transparency-scanner market is, but from the number of middle-end (e.g. V600) scanners I've seen sitting unsold in "computer stores," it is possible Epson is going to "rationalize" their product line to one version: higher-end specs, but perhaps slightly less expensive, in hopes of selling everyone the same model, and spreading the costs around.

Of course, that observation may have more to do with the decline of brick-&-mortar computer stores than Epson's total sales. B&H and Amazon both show the V850 "in stock."

Anyway - The V800/850 is about twice as fast as the V600 (milliseconds per scan line), has a greater D-max penetration (more important for slide film than negatives), and of course can handle sheet-film sizes. Otherwise, build quality, and option for fluid scanning.

For my 6x6 film, I'm using an ancient (2003) Epson 3200 (with Vuescan, since the 2003 Epson software no longer runs on today's operating systems) - it just keeps on going, and its true resolution (~2200 ppi) is fine up to 16" x 16" prints. It can do 4x5 as well.

• Like 2

Speaking of the Epson 3200, mine is in storage because somehow it got a nasty

streak on the underside of the glass. I did not see any straightforward way

to remove the glass for cleaning.

Anyone have a tip?

You can try here, as a start. Click the "3200" link for exploded diagrams, and there are links to a Yahoo Users Group for more detailed repair tips, if you want to register.

http://www.betterscanning.com/scanning/dismantling.html

I expect you have to go in through the bottom - hopefully without having to dislodge/misalign the scanner mechanics.

• Like 1

I am really struggling with film scanners. I have had the Epson V700 for about 4 years and it does a just about adequate job but the scans are not super sharp. Nowhere near as sharp as using the SL and 24-90 on a tripod, with a light box, taking multiple images and combining with PS but this is very slow process. Given there is no auto-focus on the V700 sensor, this should come as no surprise. Maybe some variable height film holders with ANR glass might help for 120 film or the ANR inserts for 35mm film. Better Scanning sell these. 

I recently bought a Plustek Opticscan 7400 dedicated film scanner and again I am very disappointed with it. The colour saturation even from scanning Provia is weak, the focus not particularly sharp and the D-Max is nowhere near what they claim. There is not a lot of shadow detail and it tends to blow highlights. There is also too much grain and a gritty feel to the images. I have been using Silverfast V. 8.8.or8 (an expensive upgrade from the supplied software) and Vuescan. I wondered if it was because I had bought the cheaper 7400 model, even though I was told that the hardware is basically the same and it is the supplied software that changes for more expensive models. I had a conversation with Paul Mac, who had bought the more expensive 8200 and he was complaining of exactly what I was with the 7400. It is a waste of time scanning at 7400 dpi, unless your focus is razor sharp. My old Artixscan, which had auto or manual focus, even though only 4000 dpi, was much sharper.

The Nikon, Minolta and Canon film scanners are too old and neither Nikon, Sony (for Minolta) or Canon will now service or repair them. There are the Reflecta scanners from Germany but I have read mixed reviews of them and I suspect, they use the same mechanics as the Plustek in a different housing (the technical specs are identical). The only totally satisfactory scanner I can find on the market at the moment is the eye-wateringly expensive Hasselblad-Imacon Flextite Scanner but at €13,000, this is way out of my budget. The older models of this are SCSI connection, which unless you have an old working computer with a SCSI card, is useless. Using a Firewire to SCSI adapter was what killed my Artixscan and in any case the adapters are no longer made. 

Any other suggestions for a good film scanner? 

Wilson

Guest NEIL-D-WILLIAMS

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I am really struggling with film scanners. I have had the Epson V700 for about 4 years and it does a just about adequate job but the scans are not super sharp. Nowhere near as sharp as using the SL and 24-90 on a tripod, with a light box, taking multiple images and combining with PS but this is very slow process. Given there is no auto-focus on the V700 sensor, this should come as no surprise. Maybe some variable height film holders with ANR glass might help for 120 film or the ANR inserts for 35mm film. Better Scanning sell these.

I recently bought a Plustek Opticscan 7400 dedicated film scanner and again I am very disappointed with it. The colour saturation even from scanning Provia is weak, the focus not particularly sharp and the D-Max is nowhere near what they claim. There is not a lot of shadow detail and it tends to blow highlights. There is also too much grain and a gritty feel to the images. I have been using Silverfast V. 8.8.or8 (an expensive upgrade from the supplied software) and Vuescan. I wondered if it was because I had bought the cheaper 7400 model, even though I was told that the hardware is basically the same and it is the supplied software that changes for more expensive models. I had a conversation with Paul Mac, who had bought the more expensive 8200 and he was complaining of exactly what I was with the 7400. It is a waste of time scanning at 7400 dpi, unless your focus is razor sharp. My old Artixscan, which had auto or manual focus, even though only 4000 dpi, was much sharper.

The Nikon, Minolta and Canon film scanners are too old and neither Nikon, Sony (for Minolta) or Canon will now service or repair them. There are the Reflecta scanners from Germany but I have read mixed reviews of them and I suspect, they use the same mechanics as the Plustek in a different housing (the technical specs are identical). The only totally satisfactory scanner I can find on the market at the moment is the eye-wateringly expensive Hasselblad-Imacon Flextite Scanner but at €13,000, this is way out of my budget. The older models of this are SCSI connection, which unless you have an old working computer with a SCSI card, is useless. Using a Firewire to SCSI adapter was what killed my Artixscan and in any case the adapters are no longer made.

Any other suggestions for a good film scanner?

Wilson

im very happy with my Epson V850........ I use it for 120, 4x5 and 8x10

im very happy with my Epson V850........ I use it for 120, 4x5 and 8x10

Neil, 

I would agree it is OK for larger format. I originally bought it scan a whole lot of family late 19th and early 20th century glass slides (quarter plate) and it worked well on those. It is when you come down to 35mm, where you need sharper focus and accutance, that the V700 struggles. 

Wilson

I am also happy with my V600, I wonder if there are manufacturing and quality differences? Some may be better than others.

That is what Better Scanning says. They say the V series scanners have optimum focus at between 1.5 and as much as 4.5mm above the glass, so the one size of 35mm holder does not fit all. Sadly they only do the variable height for the medium format holders not 35mm. 

Wilson

Guest NEIL-D-WILLIAMS

Neil,

I would agree it is OK for larger format. I originally bought it scan a whole lot of family late 19th and early 20th century glass slides (quarter plate) and it worked well on those. It is when you come down to 35mm, where you need sharper focus and accutance, that the V700 struggles.

Wilson

wilson

I did one roll of 135 with the V850 and hey we're so so. I'm not shooting 135 anymore but concentrating on large format where like you said the V850 shines

Neil

• Like 1

Guest NEIL-D-WILLIAMS

Buy a Plustek for 35mm and a V700/V800 for medium and large format (and 35mm contact sheets), and you have the best of both worlds.

+1

Buy a Plustek for 35mm and a V700/V800 for medium and large format (and 35mm contact sheets), and you have the best of both worlds.

Steve,

I have both and I think I have an adequate solution for MF and larger with the V700 but I have been very disappointed (like Paul Mac) with the Plustek. I wanted to be able to print black and white to A2 size on my Epson 3880. The sharpness of the Plustek is just about OK for A4 but no bigger. Best quality multi-scans with Vuescan, which although fiddlier than Silverfast, produces slightly better end results from multi-scans, accentuate the grain on the Fomapan 200 so that the prints look like Fuji Neopan 1600, which is not the look I want. I went down to the photo studio in the village, who has an old Nikon Coolscan 5000 and the results from it were noticeably better than the Plustek, with far less grain and sharper. If I can find anyone who services or repairs these, I will buy a second hand one and sell my Plustek. 

Wilson

I wouldn't worry too much about "servicing" a Nikon 5000ED. I've had one for 12 years and the only time it needed service was when I dropped it (fortunately while Nikon Pro Services still fixed them). They are pretty much "bricks" (in the good sense) for regular-use reliability.

• Like 1

A flatbed for 135 is a no no for me. It just doesn't cut it. Conversely, I use an Epson V700 with the BetterScan holders and ANR glass for 120 and am very impressed. This is comparing it against my Minolta Multi Pro scanner. I can only imagine the V800/850 would be even better. For 135 I recently acquired a Leica Beoon with a Schneider Componon S 50mm and can honestly say it equals the above Minolta, and it's a delight to acquire 36 high res scans in 10 minutes! As soon as I can source the appropriate extension tubes and lens I'll be turning to the Beoon for 120.

Edited by Reeray

Steve,

I have both and I think I have an adequate solution for MF and larger with the V700 but I have been very disappointed (like Paul Mac) with the Plustek. I wanted to be able to print black and white to A2 size on my Epson 3880. The sharpness of the Plustek is just about OK for A4 but no bigger. Best quality multi-scans with Vuescan, which although fiddlier than Silverfast, produces slightly better end results from multi-scans, accentuate the grain on the Fomapan 200 so that the prints look like Fuji Neopan 1600, which is not the look I want. I went down to the photo studio in the village, who has an old Nikon Coolscan 5000 and the results from it were noticeably better than the Plustek, with far less grain and sharper. If I can find anyone who services or repairs these, I will buy a second hand one and sell my Plustek. 

Wilson

Baffled why your Plustek is stuck at A4, A2 may be stretching it (for any scanner) but A3+ should be no problem for normal viewing distances. Problems with grain and can be helped significantly by ensuring the scan is low contrast (very low contrast), then use Photoshop for normalising the image, but this is good for any scanner workflow. The LED light source can be harsh if trying to get a scan straight 'out of the box' depending on the negative type, so use the scanning software to tone down, and also improve the DR. This is the opposite of why an Epson isn't good at 35mm, the light source is too diffused and gentle, and why also in darkroom photography a cold cathode enlarger is brilliant for large format but a condenser enlarger was best for 35mm (unless you adapted the film development to each).

Edited by 250swb

Baffled why your Plustek is stuck at A4, A2 may be stretching it (for any scanner) but A3+ should be no problem for normal viewing distances.

Steve, 

I think it comes down to a relatively cheaply made piece of equipment, where there are quite wide manufacturing tolerances. With no focus facility (fixed sensor to film distance), combined with production tolerances, will mean that some are sharper than others. Mine seems to be one of the unsharp ones. The sharpness is certainly no better than my V700 and maybe worse. I have found a UK repairer for the Nikon Pro Scanners (Graeme Hardie) and he is getting back to me this afternoon to give me an assessment of the spares situation and whether he can supply me with a cleaned and serviced 5000ED. The other thing I am going to look at is the BEOON that Reeray mentions above. I already have an M240, Companon S 50, Elmar 65, OTZFO and Visoflex III or Visoflex 41mm replacement extension tube, so part of the way there already. 

Wilson

A flatbed for 135 is a no no for me. It just doesn't cut it. Conversely, I use an Epson V700 with the BetterScan holders and ANR glass for 120 and am very impressed. This is comparing it against my Minolta Multi Pro scanner. I can only imagine the V800/850 would be even better. For 135 I recently acquired a Leica Beoon with a Schneider Componon S 50mm and can honestly say it equals the above Minolta, and it's a delight to acquire 36 high res scans in 10 minutes! As soon as I can source the appropriate extension tubes and lens I'll be turning to the Beoon for 120.

How are the slides illuminated on this device? I have found a complete BEOON for sale. I would use this with either my Elmar 65 or I also have a Companon S. I have a Visoflex III but with the M240 and live view, I would probably use a 41mm Visoflex replacement extension tube I had made instead. 

Wilson