Upgrade from ME and M9 M

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Hello all,

I've just got off the phone with Leica NJ and was told the wait times are 36 weeks. My ME arrived there in May so I should be about 1/3 of the way there but now I need to send my M9M as well. This, more than the ME, is troubling because the M9M is my primary camera.

While on the phone I was offered an upgrade to the M240, 246, or 262. Unfortunately, the M10 isn't an option. So, instead of waiting forever, I had thought of trying to combine my two upgrades into one and possibly getting the 240 or 262 essentially free of charge, assuming Leica will permit the offers to be combined.

If that's the case, I was wondering about people's experiences Newsweek the 240 and the 262. Is there a difference in image quality? Are they the same sensor?

Also, for those who've owned the M9M, how would you compare the 240/262 BW conversions?

Thanks in advance.

Greetings. The combination you have (M9 + M9M) is extremely difficult to improve upon, and is second to none. In my case since the advent of the M9M, it became the main camera with M9 available for the rather limited color work. The third M240 I also have sees very little use indeed, and as James mentioned above, it is unlikely that you will find other options satisfactory. Please do not take me wrong, the M240 is an excellent camera, but the M9 + M9M combination is unbeatable.

Now, as the two bodies in NJ for sensor upgrade, and with a long wait period of 36 weeks, I would find myself a Sony RX1R for less than $1500, and spend this period with it. With the return of the two bodies, and believe me the M9 returned to me in like new condition, you can sell the Sony for close to what you have paid for. At the end of the period you will have an excellent system, limited out of pocket expenses, and you continued your hobby with a sensible stop gap system (the Sony) that you will sell later. It is also my case that I no longer remember the pain from the camera being away in NJ. Time heals a lot it seems.

Finally, to answer your question on whether the output of the M9M is close to the M240 conversion, or not, it is fair to say that the M9M would be better most of the time. Best of luck. Regards.

Edited by ibramr
  • Like 2

Well, you have 9 months to try either the M240 or M262 to answer your own question. You could try to work out a deal with your dealer or Leica NJ to get a used or demo model. By the time your gear is returned, you'll know if you want to keep it or sell/return it.

Jeff

• Like 1

Greetings. The combination you have (M9 + M9M) is extremely difficult to improve upon, and is second to none. In my case since the advent of the M9M, it became the main camera with M9 available for the rather limited color work. The third M240 I also have sees very little use indeed, and as James mentioned above, it is unlikely that you will find other options satisfactory. Please do not take me wrong, the M240 is an excellent camera, but the M9 + M9M combination is unbeatable.

Now, as the two bodies in NJ for sensor upgrade, and with a long wait period of 36 weeks, I would find myself a Sony RX1R for less than $1500, and spend this period with it. With the return of the two bodies, and believe me the M9 returned to me in like new condition, you can sell the Sony for close to what you have paid for. At the end of the period you will have an excellent system, limited out of pocket expenses, and you continued your hobby with a sensible stop gap system (the Sony) that you will sell later. It is also my case that I no longer remember the pain from the camera being away in NJ. Time heals a lot it seems.

Finally, to answer your question on whether the output of the M9M is close to the M240 conversion, or not, it is fair to say that the M9M would be better most of the time. Best of luck. Regards.

Hmmmm, yeah, my thoughts pretty much. I really love the M9M. My original plan was to send my ME first and then upon its return I'd send the M9M as the corrosion is significantly less on that one. Hat way, I'd always have on on hand. Leica pulled the rug out from all of us, tho.

So, I do have a third option. I have my original M8 that's in really great condition having bee CLA'd by Leica NJ two years ago. Think I'll try to figure out how to get 14 bit files from it and just use that for a bit.

Edited by AceVentura1986
  • Like 1

Wise solution using your M8.

I keep one M8  for IR photos and as is it's a fine picture maker at 160/320 ISO.

Other M are for different uses, Monochrom is the must for what it's created (b&w).

Converted monochrom from M240/262 may be fine but "real monochrom" from Monochrom give better files to deal with.

As side note, even M10 converted monochrom photos need to be more post-processing than MM1.

So keep your MM1 (even long waiting time) which you are happy with untill now.

• Like 1

Advertisement (gone after registration)

But the M10 adds flexibility in PP through use of color channels, not available with the MM (requiring less flexible color filters at capture). Tradeoffs.

For me, it's the end result that matters (a print). The need for a disciplined print workflow hasn't changed from film days, only the tools.

Jeff

Edited by Jeff S
  • Like 1

Also, for those who've owned the M9M, how would you compare the 240/262 BW conversions?

With my M9 M9M pair (both had sensors replaced) I traded the M9 in on an M240 and added an M-246 while the M9M was off at Leica NJ .  Initially I was going to sell the M9M after it got back but have not been able to let it go.

M-240 B&W conversions are very nice, but still lag behind images from the M9M in both resolution of fine detail and ISO performance.  If the M9M is your primary body I think you will miss it if you trade it on an M-240/M-262.

The M-246 is excellent. While I don't find its improvement in resolution of fine detail over that of the M-240 to be quite as big as that of the M9M over the M9,  it is still very noticeable.  High ISO performance is great.  Here is a gallery of M-246 shots.  http://www.peppermill-multimedia.com/galleries/trading-post/

• Like 3

I do a fair bit of macro work, which was part of my choosing to move from M9 to M240:  live view.  Not having to always be on a tripod with old Viso III is nice, so is 2 more ISO stops for out & about shooting at night

I loved the M9 - now I love the 240

M10's specs not enough to change, am hoping for a big leap in sensor performance in M11 (e.g. Sony).  If not, 240 gives me all I want / need.  Am making large prints (60x40") with incredible resolution - which owe a lot to Photoshop workshops

• Like 2

Hmmmm, yeah, my thoughts pretty much. I really love the M9M. My original plan was to send my ME first and then upon its return I'd send the M9M as the corrosion is significantly less on that one. Hat way, I'd always have on on hand. Leica pulled the rug out from all of us, tho.

So, I do have a third option. I have my original M8 that's in really great condition having bee CLA'd by Leica NJ two years ago. Think I'll try to figure out how to get 14 bit files from it and just use that for a bit.

Using the M8 or getting another body used temporarily for the time of the repair seem much better solutions than their "upgrade" program. Besides the fact I find the M9 absolutely fantastic, and think it is sad to let an otherwise good sample go to the trash, I do not think the upgrade program is such a good deal. When my M9 developed the issue 6 months ago, they presented it to me and the prices seemed outrageous to me. If I had wanted to get an M240, I would have been much, much better off getting my M9 fixed, selling it, and getting a "like new, used M240" (ok, I know the trade offer is for a new camera). But I am happy I just selected the option to get it fixed, and use it again afterwards. :)

Edited by Xavier

I do a fair bit of macro work, which was part of my choosing to move from M9 to M240:  live view.  Not having to always be on a tripod with old Viso III is nice, so is 2 more ISO stops for out & about shooting at night

I loved the M9 - now I love the 240

M10's specs not enough to change, am hoping for a big leap in sensor performance in M11 (e.g. Sony).  If not, 240 gives me all I want / need.  Am making large prints (60x40") with incredible resolution - which owe a lot to Photoshop workshops

Agree, but not Sony, please ;)

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...