Aperture color problem

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I just shot a Martha and the Vandelas concert, (if you remember them, look for your pension check soon). Using a 35 lux with filter, I was quite pleased with the results using aperture for the first time, (though I must say I find the language and implementation of aperture a bit too cute and too much of a departure from other programs.) This was true in scenes shot in ambient twilight of the crowd, and with white colored stage lights. But, when the stage lights were red, flooding the pink dress, big problems occurred in Aperture. This is despite manual WB set at the time. My D2Hs handled it fine. So I opened the files in Raw Developer, ( I love it) and the problem was greatly diminished. Using different profiles in RD I could simulate the blown saturation of Aperture. By the way, I ended up using the default camera profile rather than the IR filter tuned profiles provided by RD in this example. Can the aperture/color gurus have a look? thanks...Peter

Raw Developer Conversion

original.jpg

Aperture Conversion

81065437.jpg

No way to correct this using adjustments in aperture. And yes, I cloned out the water bottle in the keeper RD shot.

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Peter, this is what I refer to as the "pinkout" effect, I've seen this a lot in lightroom and I'm starting to see it in Aperture now we have the official support. I'm working on my own profile to eliminate exactly this effect but more so to eliminate this pinking effect with skin tones.

I have no answer yet but here's where I am at the moment, first through aperture with my profile, second Apples M8 profile, third is lightroom.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Interesting. Your profile seems too destaurated in general as I'm sure you agree at this stage. Once you perfect it, how does one enter a camera profile in aperture? Will it be a plist hack? The lightroom looks better, I think I like RD the best in this limited test. Appreciate all you are doing Eoin! best....Peter

oh- I am using Safari

Try this Another aperture profile.

Interesting. Your profile seems too destaurated in general as I'm sure you agree at this stage. Once you perfect it, how does one enter a camera profile in aperture? Will it be a plist hack? The lightroom looks better, I think I like RD the best in this limited test. Appreciate all you are doing Eoin! best....Peter

oh- I am using Safari

Yes, I am interested too in this answer. How to enter a camera profile in Aperture? I can't figure out...

Aperture does not support multiple camera profiles(for want of a better word). The core image framework (raw.plist) provides support for raw formats and these profiles are read by Aperture at startup only. There is no problem having many M8 profiles in the raw.plist providing they don't conflict with their names. The only thing you'd have to do is point to the profile you wish to use inside the raw.plist with a string. I'm sure Ian our script expert could automate this process for us;) and we could set the profile prior to starting aperture.

I'm only guessing, but perhaps this will be a feature in Aperture v2!. Let's hope they have some way to assign a profile as it's a little boring at the moment.:)

I tried the DNG in Aperture but did not like the magenta saturation..... this version was done with your original DNG and open in CS3

Peter,

If you are interested, I made a conversion with Capture One. Please find it in my iDisk Public folder:

http://homepage.mac.com/paul.steunebrink/FileSharing1.html

It is close to your Raw Developer conversion.

Paul- Thanks, I like it. I'm swamped with converter choices so will not venture into C1, but it looks good. What profile? best...Peter

Aperture does not support multiple camera profiles(for want of a better word). The core image framework (raw.plist) provides support for raw formats and these profiles are read by Aperture at startup only. There is no problem having many M8 profiles in the raw.plist providing they don't conflict with their names. The only thing you'd have to do is point to the profile you wish to use inside the raw.plist with a string. I'm sure Ian our script expert could automate this process for us;) and we could set the profile prior to starting aperture.

I'm only guessing, but perhaps this will be a feature in Aperture v2!. Let's hope they have some way to assign a profile as it's a little boring at the moment.:)

Thank you very much. Now it's finally clear in my mind how it works. I really appreciate your help.

Alex