Guest NEIL-D-WILLIAMS

Anyone shooting Large Format on here apart from me?

Waterhouse stops! Its a strange world where one of the oldest ways of producing a lens stop has not only survived but may be used to repurpose lenses for film use in this digital age. I rather like the idea. As it happens I have a spare diaphragm by Ross, but its a small one - I imagine that the EPIS lens would require a prohibitively expensive, very large diaphragm.

Tony Lovell's 'bits box' includes large diameter Waterhouse stops and iris diaphragms. The EPIS 1000mm is a work in progress; was advised yesterday camera requires a 'beefed-up' front extension mount so a revised (broader) brass mount (just for the extension) will be added … existing mount is showing signs of 'flex'. 

dunk 

On 7/6/2017 at 8:48 AM, mikemgb said:

Not yet' but I'm intending to buy a 4x5 in the next few months and have begun my research.

Since this post I have bought a Speed Graphic 4x5 and a Gundlach 5x7, both of which I use. I have also just finished restoring a Rochester 8x10 plate camera that I have not yet shot.

This is one of the two Edwardian half plate cameras I was given that started me on large format.

I made a new back to take modern plastic dark slides then ended up making a few whole cameras, from 5x4 to 10x8.

The Leitz Epis 1000mm lens now has a home made hood and lens cap … hood lined with self adhesive black Velour from Wilkinsons (as used by astro telescope enthusiasts for baffling their 'scope tube interiors) … cap is modified bin lid 

dunk 

Edited by dkCambridgeshire

^^^   Hood comprises 14", 15" and 16" aluminium cake tins with bottoms removed (jig saw) … it's a good fit and attaches with perfect alignment    

dunk             

Edited by dkCambridgeshire

20 minutes ago, dkCambridgeshire said:

^^^   Hood comprises 14", 15" and 16" aluminium cake tins with bottoms removed (jig saw) … it's a good fit and attaches with perfect alignment     

Oi! Don' you need some kinda permit to own such a monster? Won't neighbors complain that the whole block went dark when you made such a large light-sucking exposure?

My little light sucker.

Edited by pico

On 7/6/2017 at 8:40 AM, Guest NEIL-D-WILLIAMS said:

So if anyone on here is shooting LF where do you get your film from? do you us a consensual enlarger or do you do like me, either make contact prints or scan.

I shoot 4x5 and 8x10 inch sheet film.

I buy film from freestylephoto.biz

My enlarger handles up to 6x7cm.

I use an Epson V850 to scan my 4x5 and 8x10 inch negatives.

Large Format by Narsuitus, on Flickr