S 120 and 100

BigBabyEarl

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Does anyone have the 100 and the 120 and find uses for BOTH? I came across a good package deal and picked up a 120, but I love my 100. If there was only one lens for me, that would be it. I planned on selling the 120, but I keep picking up the macro to shoot bullshit flower shots and kind of enjoy it. Do the two really fit into a kit or is it really one or the other?

• Like 1

It's what you use them for that's important isn't it? Even if the focal lengths are close it can still be valid to own two lenses if they are used for different type of shooting or renders very differently , at least that's my opinion on it.

• Like 1

Does anyone have the 100 and the 120 and find uses for BOTH? I came across a good package deal and picked up a 120, but I love my 100. If there was only one lens for me, that would be it. I planned on selling the 120, but I keep picking up the macro to shoot bullshit flower shots and kind of enjoy it. Do the two really fit into a kit or is it really one or the other?

I have both, use them differently: 120 - ultra-sharp, landscapes, macro, but a bit heavy - 100: great for portraits, light enough to be a walk-around

Edited by erlingmm
  • Like 1

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I  have both the 120 and 100.  The difference is that the 100mm doesn't come in a CS version and my 120 is a CS. So, I tend to use the 120 in studio or on a tripod for commercial work like table top. The 100 is a great portrait lens and much easier to carry around for general photography IMO.   

• Like 2

I rarely use the 120 since I got a 100.  Here's a recent sample of the 100

https://www.l-camera-forum.com/topic/274570-outdoor-portrait/

More portable, and an option for an extra stop of light.  I cannot complain about the 120... it was my affection for the 80 Summilux-R that *forced* me to get the 100.