Fomapan 200 in Adox Rodinal at higher ambient temps than 20º

wlaidlaw

Advertisement (gone after registration)

The recommended development times for Fomapan 200 in Adox Rodinal are 8-10 minutes at 20º. The problem I have in France are that the ambient temperatures in my house are 24º to 28º at this time of year. How do folks think this will alter development times? Winding my memory back 50 years to doing chemistry at university, every 10ºC increase in temperature doubles the speed of reaction, so in theory I should reduce my development times by at least 25%. 

Any thoughts? 

Wilson

I do what Keith suggests, water temperature at my house is currently 25c, I add ice cubes to a large pan of water and use it to mix the chemicals.

Having said that I developed a roll of Ilford Delta 3200 at ambient temperature a couple of days ago and couldn't tell a difference between that roll and an earlier one at 20c.

• Like 1

I always use this compensation table from Ilford

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Regards

Frank

• Like 1

The recommended development times for Fomapan 200 in Adox Rodinal are 8-10 minutes at 20º. The problem I have in France are that the ambient temperatures in my house are 24º to 28º at this time of year. How do folks think this will alter development times?...Any thoughts? 

Rather than alter development times, I'd first give the film a pre-soak at around 19 degrees to bring everything close to the right temperature, then add the developer at the recommended 20 degrees. My experience is that the temperature won't alter much over ten minutes.

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I could always set one side of my wine fridge to 20º and put the Rondinax, some bottles of water and the various chemicals into there. However that's a bit too warm for my wine. I was given two very expensive bottles of wine last year (1962 Clos des Mouches) but by the time I came to drink them this year, they had deteriorated a bit from the same wine I had drunk in 2016. I decided the most likely cause was the extreme temperature variation in the house from up to mid 30's in August to 5º in winter, when it is unoccupied. I therefore invested in a smallish thermostatic wine store. 

Wilson

• Like 1

I could always set one side of my wine fridge to 20º and put the Rondinax, some bottles of water and the various chemicals into there. However that's a bit too warm for my wine. I was given two very expensive bottles of wine last year (1962 Clos des Mouches) but by the time I came to drink them this year, they had deteriorated a bit from the same wine I had drunk in 2016. I decided the most likely cause was the extreme temperature variation in the house from up to mid 30's in August to 5º in winter, when it is unoccupied. I therefore invested in a smallish thermostatic wine store.

Wilson

29ca476fe5c515663cfa6f20fb63a3b3.jpg0e8818434e00db54921bbe0407c6833c.jpg

From Agfalabor home processing 1980

Seems Agfapan 400 was an exception.

Cheers Pierre

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

• Like 1

The other alternative is just to wait for a cool/Mistral day to do my processing. The temperature drops like a stone when the cold Mistral blows, even in summer. People in Provence discuss the wind, just like people in the UK talk about general weather. There is at least one name for the wind from each of the 32 points of the compass, often a different name for the summer and winter wind. 

Wilson

• Like 1

Does anyone know if Adox Adonal (Rodinal) has a built in wetting agent, like some other developers do or is it best to do a pre-soak in water with 1:700 Adoflo added (the same I will use for final wash but with demineralised water). I asked Fotoimpex that question and also for some more instructions for Adofix, which are totally inadequate on the Adox website and there is nothing on the bottle. The website says Adofix can be diluted at 1:4 or 1:9. Fixing time for film approx 4 minutes but not saying whether this is at 1:4 or 1:9 dilution and at what temperature. I would assume 20º but it does not say. I have no reply from Fotoimpex, the sales agent for Adox, to date. 

Wilson

High summer in the UK - had to put the stop & fix measures in a warm water bath this morning!

Yes watching the rain and folks in anoraks on the TV from Silverstone this morning. MeteoFrance were forecasting 37º in the Var for this afternoon but it has clouded over a bit (thank goodness) and it is only 30º but still too hot to do any developing. 

Wilson

Here in the middle of the US we've been getting up to 38 in the afternoon, forecasters say we have another week of it to go.

I have 2 films to develop tomorrow, ice will be necessary, even with air conditioning my "darkroom" and the water is at 25.

• Like 2