Macro Adapter M

Stein K S

Hello Alex,  as supplementary remarks: 

When used with the Macro-Adapter-M (14409), the original Macro-Elmar-M 90mm (M-E-M) is rotated by 180 degrees.
The lens then has its own control cam for the macro range.

The given helical motion must be mapped to the range 0.55m... 0,76m.
The gradient of the control curve is noticeably flatter/finer with macros than in the far range.

The original M-E-M has two different control curves!

The demands on the accuracy of coordination for the function of the overall system* for near and far are therefore very high.
(* two control curve sections, adapter'with optics', rangefinder)

With range finder coupling, the Macro-Adapter-M (14409) is intended for use with the 1st M-E-M (11633) only.

The goggles were saved with the new 2nd Macro Set.  Whether the second special control curve is still available I do not know.

Greeting Thorsten ...  with #60 & #61

[...] When used with the Macro-Adapter-M (14409), the original Macro-Elmar-M 90mm (M-E-M) is rotated by 180 degrees.

The lens then has its own control cam for the macro range.

The given helical motion must be mapped to the range 0.55m... 0,76m.

The gradient of the control curve is noticeably flatter/finer with macros than in the far range.

The original M-E-M has two different control curves!

The demands on the accuracy of coordination for the function of the overall system* for near and far are therefore very high.

(* two control curve sections, adapter'with optics', rangefinder) [...]

Would you mind to elaborate? I happen to have the old lens and both old (goggled) and new adapters. My feeling is the lens works the same way in normal position on the new adapter as upside down on the old one but i may be wrong.

Of course, as it does not use the rangefinder function.  Decisive is the reverse question:

Does the new lens (11670) work rangefinder coupled with the earlier original Macro-Adapter-M (14409) ?

Thorsten

Edited by Dao De Leitz

Of course as it does not use the rangefinder function.  Decisive is the reverse question:

Sure the new adapter is made for live view but i did not understand what you said about different control curves. Do you mean they have different helicoids or something like that? 

Advertisement (gone after registration)

... When used with the Macro-Adapter-M (14409), the original Macro-Elmar-M 90mm (M-E-M) is rotated by 180 degrees.
The opposite side of the 'normal' focus cam is used. This part (segment) is adapted to the macro range. Therefore, other lenses are not suitable for the original Macro-Adapter-M (14409) with viewfinder coupling.

Thorsten

Edited by Dao De Leitz
  • Like 1

Can someone help me understand the difference between the two options to purchase the Macro Elmar new? You can buy the lens by itself (11670) or as a kit (11629).

Here’s what I don’t understand:

Is the lens identical in both? I understand the lens was updated a few years ago.

Is the macro adapter in the kit the same as the standalone macro adapter but with goggles? Can the goggles be removed? Why aren’t the goggles included when you buy the macro adapter on its own?

I know there are other threads on this but I couldn’t figure it out.

Can someone help me understand the difference between the two options to purchase the Macro Elmar new? You can buy the lens by itself (11670) or as a kit (11629).

Here’s what I don’t understand:

Is the lens identical in both? I understand the lens was updated a few years ago.

Is the macro adapter in the kit the same as the standalone macro adapter but with goggles? Can the goggles be removed? Why aren’t the goggles included when you buy the macro adapter on its own?

I know there are other threads on this but I couldn’t figure it out.

https://www.l-camera-forum.com/leica-wiki.en/index.php/90mm_f/4_Macro-Elmar-M

https://www.l-camera-forum.com/leica-wiki.en/index.php/MACRO-ADAPTER-M

• Like 1

The Macro-Set M (11629) consists of the „old“ Macro-Elmar-M (11633) with the „goggles“ adapter.

The new version of the Macro- Elmar - M has the number 11670, the new Macro-Adapter-M has the number 14652.

The new Macro - Adapter has no goggles, but allows for variable extensions as it has a focussing helicoid. The old adpter with googles only had a certain extension which you could not change.

So the new adapter gives you some more freedom for close-ups - but you need Liveview.

• Like 3

Compared to the level (and high price) of macro work that the Macro 90mm & adapter gives, I instead went with a used Leica R 60mm and the R to M lens adapter.  I spent around $700.  For another $75 I also picked up the R Macro adapter which gives 1:1 macro capability (almost too much for me).  Focusing is easy via use of my M10's live view and (red) focus peaking, and close-ups are far more "macro" than what the M-90mm macro offers.

• Like 1

Compared to the level (and high price) of macro work that the Macro 90mm & adapter gives, I instead went with a used Leica R 60mm and the R to M lens adapter.  I spent around $700.  For another $75 I also picked up the R Macro adapter which gives 1:1 macro capability (almost too much for me).  Focusing is easy via use of my M10's live view and (red) focus peaking, and close-ups are far more "macro" than what the M-90mm macro offers.

Yes, I think that is good advice. The older RF coupled 90 Macro kit only makes sense if you want to use it with the rangefinder. It is an ingenious system if, like me, you mainly use film M bodies, but it is very expensive (and somewhat limited) compared with other more conventional Macro lenses for SLR or EVF use.

Sure but the (current) Macro-Adapter-M takes much less room in the bag and can be used with any M lens so i tend to let my R 60/2.8 at home if y don't need to go down to 1:1. Here handheld on the CL with the tiny Summarit 50/2.5 and 100% crop. FWIW.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 1

Compared to the level (and high price) of macro work that the Macro 90mm & adapter gives, I instead went with a used Leica R 60mm and the R to M lens adapter. I spent around $700. For another $75 I also picked up the R Macro adapter which gives 1:1 macro capability (almost too much for me). Focusing is easy via use of my M10's live view and (red) focus peaking, and close-ups are far more "macro" than what the M-90mm macro offers.

What did you decide for the 60mm and not the 100mm macro R?

Edited by Gobert