Speculating whats next

Guest NEIL-D-WILLIAMS

Guest NEIL-D-WILLIAMS

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Now that Leica has dropped the price of the SL and increased the price of the S007 it kind of makes you thing what's around the corner from Leica especially with regard to the S. Now my mate in KL already told me that Leica is working on a 80 megabyte S so I challenged him yesterday about what has happened with the drop in the SL and he was either not willing to share it with me or he genially doesn't know ( I think he doesn't know) So my thinking now is that if Leica come out with a 36+ megabyte SL which already takes S lenses (with an adapter) then for me I would ditch my S007 and stay mirror less.  

Another thing to think about is maybe the price increase in the S is because they have a new line of S lenses coming out.............especially long lenses 300mm plus, now if that scenario materializes then I would defiantly stick with the S007 and be a happy man.........at least till next weekend :) :) :)

• Like 1

Six years and counting since David Farkas was confident about longer S lenses....

https://www.l-camera-forum.com/index.php?app=core&module=global&section=reputation&do=add_rating&app_rate=forums&type=pid&type_id=1683211&rating=1&secure_key=576a285671efc936faf6d259ab22c880&post_return=1683211

Edit... link broken? Damn cell phone... anyway 2011 post here

Jeff

Edited by Jeff S

Guest NEIL-D-WILLIAMS

Six years and counting since David Farkas was confident about longer S lenses....

https://www.l-camera-forum.com/index.php?app=core&module=global&section=reputation&do=add_rating&app_rate=forums&type=pid&type_id=1683211&rating=1&secure_key=576a285671efc936faf6d259ab22c880&post_return=1683211

Edit... link broken? Damn cell phone... anyway 2011 post here

Jeff

Still broken Jeff

I was surprised at the significant price drop locally for the SL. A bit sad at the side effect of devaluing mine in the process. It still works the same just an irritation that I paid too much by buying then. It's just unusual to have Leica prices go down ! It does raise a concern for me on the future of that system as it is.

I briefly tried the S adaptor on an SL, however the noticeably slower AF (in my test situation) made me less keen to get one as far as having it as an S backup. It depends how you shoot of course.whether that AF speed is significant to you.

For my particular type of photography, if a speculated S008 had the focus functions of the SL, (but that would mean EVF) the SL would be less useful for me anyway

Edited by hoppyman

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I was surprised at the significant price drop locally for the SL. A bit sad at the side effect of devaluing mine in the process. It still works the same just an irritation that I paid too much by buying then. It's just unusual to have Leica prices go down ! It does raise a concern for me on the future of that system as it is.

I briefly tried the S adaptor on an SL, however the noticeably slower AF (in my test situation) made me less keen to get one as far as having it as an S backup. It depends how you shoot of course.whether that AF speed is significant to you.

For my particular type of photography, if a speculated S008 had the focus functions of the SL, (but that would mean EVF) the SL would be less useful for me anyway

The SL/S adaptor may focus slower than the zooms but it's comparable to the SL50 'lux. Considering we're driving PDAF lenses with a CDAF camera I was actually pleasantly surprised, especially by the accuracy of focus.

Now back on topic....

It could be that the SL price drop is to re-position it in line with a new S body. It could be a new SL is coming. It could be slowing sales. It could be a response to the X1D, A9 or 1Dx2. Probably a mix of a few different things.

If I were the king of Leica land......

Well the new TL is coming. 2 grand US. The SL is now $6K.

I'd have a mirrorless S (50-60MP) coming in at $9-11K. I'd have some new lenses. Longer (350mm??) and some f4.5 zooms and a 65mm f1.4. I'd keep the body like it (lens flange) is but with a better grip. It'd be lighter anyway and the S isn't that big. Maybe a flippy screen. No LENR (won't happen!!). SL EVF and controls. Same battery shape.

I's also have an optical S with the same sensor as the mirrorless at $16-17K. Same body shape as the mirrorless one. Off centre focusing points in the OVF and live view on a flippy screen. *Maybe* allow the Visoflex to be used from the M10/TL.

I'd keep the current SL and keep updating it and add a 36MP version (maybe with 5K video), in the exact same body shape. $8 grand.

Do what ever it takes to get those road map lenses to market THIS year. Announce a macro, 400mm f4, 1.4 TC and a compact 24-120 f4.5 zoom for the SL.

And finally.... Ditch the stupid magazine adds with the dude and his three day growth and start talking about the lenses.

Gordon

Here's some speculation: Could the 24 MP APS-C sensor in the new TL2 be a prelude to a high MP new S?

If they keep the flange distance and the lens line, they can use even a SONY sensor for the new S. But most probably it will be a custom made sensor again.

If they keep the flange distance and the lens line, they can use even a SONY sensor for the new S. But most probably it will be a custom made sensor again.

Leica have stated in the past regarding manufacturer collaboration that Sony (with their tie in with Zeiss) won't be  partners with them for any design.

Whatever any hypothetical new model may be, I can't imagine any circumstance where a future S camera body would not have the same flange distance. A change would require duplication of the entire lens range. As an aside, Peter Karbe also noted that the physical dimensions of the sensor assembly (30x45) could not be increased (although the theoretical resolution of the lenses already surpassed what he predicted then would be the next generation of sensors). That leaves photosite density of course

• Like 2

Leica have stated in the past regarding manufacturer collaboration that Sony (with their tie in with Zeiss) won't be partners with them for any design.

Whatever any hypothetical new model may be, I can't imagine any circumstance where a future S camera body would not have the same flange distance. A change would require duplication of the entire lens range. As an aside, Peter Karbe also noted that the physical dimensions of the sensor assembly (30x45) could not be increased (although the theoretical resolution of the lenses already surpassed what he predicted then would be the next generation of sensors). That leaves photosite density of course

Not necessarily. Look at X1D, they just introduce an adaptor to adaptor the H lens to cover the short flange distance.

As for the density. It's really a slap in his face making that kind of statement when Sony already announce the projection of a 100mp 44x33mm sensor next year. But then again, that's 3~4 years ago...

So the future S would likely have to have a high density sensor, as they can't make the sensor larger cause the image circle of S lens is just about 60mm.

Or they can be cheeky and announce a S-P that has larger sensor and a set of S-p specific lens. 6micron sensor at full 645 frame will be 60mp... Quite a good sum...

Edited by xiaubauu2009