90mm for portrait Advice

TheVanguard

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I came into Leica from Canon at the beginning of the year, I have a 35 cron, 50 summilux and am now looking for a 90mm to complete the set.

The 35 and 50 will be my goto lenses so the 90% of my use so the 90 will only see occasional use...

Sharpness is less of a concern then nice rendering (as long as it can be sharp enough) ...i can happily live with a softer/ dreamy look...

I don't mind non leica...

I have been looking at maybe the 90 cron pre pre-asph? any one else have any good suggestions..?

Summicron pre-asph

Elmarit-M

Tele Elmarit-M

Summarit

You'll find favourable opinions and their counterpoints for all of these lenses. Choose size, weight, aperture, and vintage. The cost of them all is within $500, so it's less of a factor.

Edited by michaelwj

I went through a similar process trying to decide recently. Many recommend the 75 summicron because it has a shorter focus distance to subject than the 90 summicron. I was told that the pre asph 90mm was softer and an excellent choice but ended up with a 90 summicron apo asph. It is absolutely one of my favorite lenses for the way it renders, and with a little post processing one can soften it if too sharp.

Having said that I recently purchased a 80 1.4 R (similar to 75 1.4) which I will use on a SL 601. I cannot comment as my copy should arrive this week. 

You might also look into the Voigtlander lenses - the 75 1.8 and/or the 75 2.5 - as alternatives. I have not used either, but both lenses get terrific reviews and are quite reasonably priced.

This is all hobby for me so professionals may feel differently.

Good luck with your decision and there are many excellent choices.

Rob

Edited by ropo54
  • Like 2

As far as my lenses are concerned:

- Summicron 90/2 asph (sharp) or v3 (softer at f/2). 90/2 v2 is the best compromise to me but is a (very) bulky lens.

- Summarit 90/2.4. Sharp, no significant flaw.

- Elmarit 90/2.8 v2. Same with more bulk and a bit more softness at f/2.8.

- Macro-Elmar 90/4. The smaller, sharp with no significant flaw. Great lens for closeups and macro.

Bargain: M-Rokkor 90/4 for Minolta CLE. Small, sharp but not "clinical". Better resistance to flare.

Edited by lct

Thanks for the thoughts so far.....I did consider the macro, for the extra versatility but I still have a canon DSLR and a 100mm macro..so chances are if macro is on the cards I would use that.

Interestingly my dealer has a used Used Contax Carl Zeiss 85mm F1.4 T* Planar Lens (AE) in stock at a good price...but leaning towards the cron v2 at the moment I think

[...] leaning towards the cron v2 at the moment I think

My favorite 90 ever but big lens indeed (left).

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 1

And the hood on the big cron is super cool

:D

+1. Very efficient though. My another favorite with great hood as well: Summicron-R 90/2 pre-apo (11219) below.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Thanks is that the V1? I was looking at this one LEICA 90mm f/2 SUMMICRON-M (1980-1998)

Yours is 90/2 v3. Same size as 90/2 asph. A favorite for portrait indeed. Bit softer at f/2 but plenty sharp above with less edge acutance than 90/2 asph. Beware that some (most?) of them need some calibration for digital if you intend to use it in rangefinder mode though.

Edited by lct
  • Like 2

+1. Very efficient though. My another favorite with great hood as well: Summicron-R 90/2 pre-apo (11219) below.

attachicon.gif11219.jpg

Yours is 90/2 v3. Same size as 90/2 asph. A favorite for portrait indeed. Bit softer at f/2 but plenty sharp above with less edge acutance than 90/2 asph. Beware that some (most?) of them need some calibration for digital if you intend to use it in rangefinder mode though.

Thanks

I will probably use with the Visoflex, and if not stop it down a bit....now to try and track down a good one!

Over time, I have ended up owning several lenses in the 85-105 range, some recent, some vintage, some large, some small, some Leica, some from other manufacturers, etc.

Each one of them has its "character", but none is bad, although some are borderline on digital. I guess this is due to the fact that longer focal lengths are less challenging than wides in terms of lens design. If I really had to pick a fave for portraits, it would be the Canon 85/1.8 or the Nikkor 85/2 (both Sonnars in LTM).

If you want your 90mm images to mix nicely with those from your 35/2 and your 50/1.4 - assuming both are the latest ASPH versions - without breaking the bank (or your back...), I'd recommend a Summarit. You should be able to get a good deal on a lightly used f/2.5 version.

Again, whatever you end up choosing, it's hard to go wrong in this focal length.

• Like 1

The 90mm Elmarit-M seems to be an underrated lens. Its a very consistent deliverer of very nice image quality from an 'old' (Mandler) style lens. Its sharp enough to satisfy all but the most critical (who want the biting, clinical precision of newer aspheric designs). And its rendering is pleasant without being 'in your face'. Mine gets used more than I thought it would and has produced some of my favourite images. Several have been printed at significant size (20" x 16") and are as good as I hoped. Its also an ergonomic lens. I would say that it is one of Leica's more understated lenses and relatively affordable in good condition. It also takes E46 filters so may share this size depending on which versions of the other lenses you own. Having owned a variety of other Leica 90s (Tele-Elmarit, Elmarits, Elmars and several Summicrons) its the 90mm I most prefer and would suggest it to any potential buyer seeking a Leica 90mm.

Best portrait rendering is 90 2.8 Elmarit, not tele elmarit , or 90 4.0 elmar.   Tamarkin has a ton of  the 2.8 in display case.  

90 2.0 short version from 1985 is very slightly soft close up.  Makes a nice portrait lens.  

Modern ones are way too sharp for portrait rendering.  If I wanted a male character portrait,  my 90 4.0 macro Elmar  would be used.  100 2.8 APO macro is a deadly sharp lens.   Mine picked up skin texture on a 60 month old girl.  Do not photograph adults with it  

• Like 1

The 90mm Elmarit-M seems to be an underrated lens. Its a very consistent deliverer of very nice image quality from an 'old' (Mandler) style lens. Its sharp enough to satisfy all but the most critical (who want the biting, clinical precision of newer aspheric designs). And its rendering is pleasant without being 'in your face'. Mine gets used more than I thought it would and has produced some of my favourite images. Several have been printed at significant size (20" x 16") and are as good as I hoped. Its also an ergonomic lens. I would say that it is one of Leica's more understated lenses and relatively affordable in good condition. It also takes E46 filters so may share this size depending on which versions of the other lenses you own. Having owned a variety of other Leica 90s (Tele-Elmarit, Elmarits, Elmars and several Summicrons) its the 90mm I most prefer and would suggest it to any potential buyer seeking a Leica 90mm.

Agreed. The Elmarit-M is the best all-rounder AFAIC. And (relatively) cheap.

• Like 1

Like you (OP) I rarely use a focal length beyond 50mm, but want a 90-ish for the occasional use - portraits or just longer reach.

So not splurging on a lens I hardly use plus wanting one that I would bring along (for the day shoot or a trip) - i.e. small/light - were both important considerations. I also wanted something reasonably sharp and fast.

I got these 2 :

- Leica 90/2.8 Tele-elmarit (skinny)

- Komura 105/2 LTM 

90 tele-elmarit (skinny): 225g - tiny and light. Classic sharpness. Susceptible to flare. Ditch original large clunky hood - use rubber hood from 90/4 Elmar-C. Reasonably priced, easy to find. This review is spot on: http://joerivanderkloet.com/the-leica-90-tele-elmarit-review-a-fine-vintage-for-a-good-price/

Komura: 480g, 9.8cm long. Some say 105mm is the perfect portrait head and shoulders length for perfect balance between compression and flattering look. Aperture ring moves with focus ring but aperture is in clicks so does not change during focus. Easy to handle despite length and doesn't feel heavy even with 480g. Classic look (in sharpness not glow), slight less prone to flare. Very usable at f2!  Interesting signature (but not weird or quirky). Comes with 105 viewfinder. Up for sale every once in a while. Not crazy prices as well (quite unknown). I use this for portrait specific occasions. I think this is a killer keeper.

For travel, I almost always bring the 90/2.8 tele-elmarit. It's so small and light. On a recent trip, I used it only on 2 occasions but I was so glad I brought it along - gave me the reach I really wanted.

If you want a more modern look, maybe try the previous version Leica 90mm Summarit f2.5. 360g, 6.6cm long. Good prices - what's not to like? 

I owned the 90mm APO in the past but ended up selling it.  I had trouble getting accurate focus with this lens, but that was when I was using an M9 that had no live view functionality or EVF.  As a result, I simply can't comment on how good or bad the 90mm APO is since my inability to achieve consistent focus forces me to recuse myself in any discussions regarding its strengths or weaknesses.  I traded the 90 for a 75mm APO that I use as a portrait lens.  For whatever reason--and maybe it's just the fact that it's better calibrated or perhaps I tend to frame things a touch less tightly with this lens--I have had no problem getting focus accurate with this lens.  Even using the rangefinder (though I tend to resort to the EVF if I'm inside about four feet).  For portraits, I tend to use the 75mm stopped down to f/2.8 or even f/4.  Wide open, you usually won't have enough depth of field to cover from the ears to the nose.  Of course, this depends on your subject distance, but for a head and shoulders shot f/4 works well.  For a more environmental portrait, f/2 is fine.

If your heart is set on a 90mm instead for the greater working distance or for the additional compression, then I only have experience with the 90mm Macro Elmar-M.  It is surprisingly good as a portrait lens, though I mostly use it for landscape and nature shots.  I can recommend it, but I don't have any experience with the other 90's you are looking at so I can't say its "better".  It is, however, very light and compact which is nice.  The maximum aperture of f/4 is probably enough to provide the soft backgrounds one usually wants on a portrait lens, but some may disagree.  Again, it would depend on subject distance.  For head and shoulders f/4 is just about right, but for an environmental portrait you might prefer something faster.

- Jared

90mm tele-elmarit (thin) is not bad. It is cheap enough to try out and sell it if you don't like. I do like mine for occasional portraits but I am not a primary portrait shooter. When I do then I shoot with enough background with context using a wider lens.

Many years ago (film), when I shot portraits then I used 135mm. Therefore I agree with some here that around 110 is better portrait length (just head and shoulders) but you will need to use EVF.

Edited by jmahto

Thanks is that the V1? I was looking at this one LEICA 90mm f/2 SUMMICRON-M (1980-1998)

Great collection of lenses btw!!

My advice is the Summicron you quote (*), if you want f2, or the Tele Elmarit if you are satisfied with 2,8 and value top compactness and Handling.

(*) The definition of "version #" for the Summicron 90 is, as always, complex and questionable... :) ... let's say that the "80-98" item could be DECENTLY defined as "v3"...

Edited by luigi bertolotti

90 tele-elmarit (skinny): 225g - tiny and light. Classic sharpness. Susceptible to flare.  

If you consider this lens (which is as stated - tiny and light) check the rear glass surface because it can be prone to the problem of hazing. Has to be cheap enough if it needs work.