Leica SL New HandGrip

Delrosa81

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I would like to get some opinions on the vertical grip + wrist strap. Cost aside, does it make holding the SL with heavier lenses more comfortable and less taxing? And does it help in shooting portraits?

The vertical grip isn't really compatible with a wrist strap. I mean obviously you can put the strap on and hold the camera, but it makes switching between landscape and portrait framing cumbersome as you have to take your wrist out to change your hand position.

I shoot a lot of portraits and use M lenses exclusively on my SL. I find the vertical grip makes manually focusing and holding a steady portrait composition much easier. I also really like the form factor it gives; it reminds me of Nikon F4 or F5 (and people always ask if it’s an old fashioned film camera which I like as it tends to be less intimidating for them if they think this.)

• Like 2

I tried the official vertical grip in a Leica store without a hand strap (which they didn't have in stock), and this was my brief impression:

- It improved grip, comfort and steadiness in the portrait noticetably, especially if a large lens was attached or if my left hand is manually focusing in which case my right arm is bearing all the weight. With the grip attached, you can tuck your elbows in next to your waist and hold the camera for a long without tiring.

- I also like you get the joystick and dials in that orientation. A big plus if you are manual focusing and want to call up the magnification aid.

- I don't remember if I tried hitting the shutter release in that orientation. But I agree with the point raised earlier that a front facing shutter release like was done on all earlier Leica reflex motor drives / winders would have been better.

- The vertical grip is milled narrower than the built-in grip on the SL and is easier and more comfortable to hold than the built-in grip. I believe they did this after customer feedback because earlier pictures of a prototype grip looked different. I agree with the review that says the built-in grip is not the most comfortable and required an "action figure hand" to hold. I quite like the grip of the vertical grip on the other hand.

prototype: https://leicarumors.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/09/16063_Leica-SL-Handgrip.jpg

product: http://www.leica-store.sg/media/catalog/product/cache/1/image/650x/040ec09b1e35df139433887a97daa66f/1/6/16063_16004_leica_sl_handgrip_strap_1024x1024.jpg

The vertical grip isn't really compatible with a wrist strap. I mean obviously you can put the strap on and hold the camera, but it makes switching between landscape and portrait framing cumbersome as you have to take your wrist out to change your hand position.

I shoot a lot of portraits and use M lenses exclusively on my SL. I find the vertical grip makes manually focusing and holding a steady portrait composition much easier. I also really like the form factor it gives; it reminds me of Nikon F4 or F5 (and people always ask if it’s an old fashioned film camera which I like as it tends to be less intimidating for them if they think this.)

Hi Gordon can you share how you modify straps to work with the quick release? I'd love for the standard neoprene strap, which I like, to be able to attach that way.

I have the grip. I only use it when I'm in studio or when I'm only using the 90-280. For everything else (90%) I prefer to have an RRS bottom plate. The grip works well enough but is large and bulky. You're into 1Dx territory.

I'm also adapting and modifying all my sling straps to take the QD quick release system integrated into the RRS plates. It's fabulous.

Gordon

With the handgrip permanently attached to my SL, I have not changed the battery in my SL body for the past 6 moths. It had always been a fully charged battery as a back up for me in case of heavy usage beyond the charge level which the battery in side my handgrip. So far I seldom need to dray power from my secondary battery. The OLED top screen on the camera will show clearly the power level of both batteries as the usage starts drawing down. Just as it will show dual SIM cards when two SIM are loaded. I'm 6'1" so I enjoy the balanced bulk of the SL native lenses with the battery grip. When I desire light load and compact lenses. I just leave my SL back home and load my Billingham messenger with my M10 & M lenses.

• Like 1

In addition, the hand grip offers a complete set of:

1 Release trigger,

2 compensation dial &

3 joystick

For vertical format shooting

I have the 'S' wrist strap, tried it on but still prefer the versatility of the shoulder/neck strap as I just wrap it round my wrist when I prefer no to sling over my shoulder.

• Like 1