Leica SL New HandGrip

Delrosa81

I attached the hand grip to my SL permanently. It has the set of shutter release, joystick & tumbwheel for vertical position shoots in addition to storing the 2nd battery. The second battery will be drained first in the grip before the juice in the primary battery gets sucked. Most of the time only the battery in my grip gets replaced by my spare battery (I hv 3 batteries all together) and it is good to know there is always another spare battery available in the camera in the event of heavy usage. It makes attaching the 24-90mm & 90-280mm lens onto the SL body more balanced ergonomically. I was also using the Leica grip for a while but prefer to use back the strap to wrap round my right wrist when shooting and can still sling my camera sideways when not shooting.

• Like 1

I am wondering how much weight and bulk the grip adds.  From the picrures I have seen it is quite large, adding considerably to the bottom of the camera.   I can see it for the big zooms, but I don't think I'd use it with M lenses.  Then again, I've not seen one in action.

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I've never liked the attached grips on any of my cameras. The integrated grips on Nikon's D# series I did like. With small lenses like the M lenses I don't see much of a use case for it.

The RRS base plate improves handling of the SL for me with M and native lenses.

• Like 2

I attached the hand grip to my SL permanently. It has the set of shutter release, joystick & tumbwheel for vertical position shoots in addition to storing the 2nd battery. The second battery will be drained first in the grip before the juice in the primary battery gets sucked. Most of the time only the battery in my grip gets replaced by my spare battery (I hv 3 batteries all together) and it is good to know there is always another spare battery available in the camera in the event of heavy usage. It makes attaching the 24-90mm & 90-280mm lens onto the SL body more balanced ergonomically. I was also using the Leica grip for a while but prefer to use back the strap to wrap round my right wrist when shooting and can still sling my camera sideways when not shooting.

The RRS plate (just the base, no L extension) fits like a glove, a really great addition to the SL. It improves handling for me, and it is made to the greatest standard. I also use it with a quick release wrist strap that attaches conveniently to the corner of the RRS plate.

• Like 2

Sounds good but Im very concerned about the added weight. The SL with the 24-90 is a heavy piece of equipment. With the added handgrip....im wondering......

Anyways the bottom of the handgrip does have the tripod screw mount right?

Sent from my Camera using Tapatalk

I am wondering how much weight and bulk the grip adds.  From the picrures I have seen it is quite large, adding considerably to the bottom of the camera.   I can see it for the big zooms, but I don't think I'd use it with M lenses.  Then again, I've not seen one in action.

Mine has hardly been used ....... too big, adds a lot of basically unnecessary weight and bulk with not a lot in return. 

• Like 1

I have the grip. I only use it when I'm in studio or when I'm only using the 90-280. For everything else (90%) I prefer to have an RRS bottom plate. The grip works well enough but is large and bulky. You're into 1Dx territory.

I'm also adapting and modifying all my sling straps to take the QD quick release system integrated into the RRS plates. It's fabulous.

Gordon

• Like 1

Mine has hardly been used ....... too big, adds a lot of basically unnecessary weight and bulk with not a lot in return.

I have no issues with the slight increase in weight as a trade off for better ergo & a additional battery. When I desire for compactness, I just fall back on my M10.

I got one recently and use it a lot - but I tend to like more grip space from using Nikon D series in the past and don't mind the extra weight. Personal preference really. If you have not used a full grip size camera before it may feel too big.

It does have a tripod mount on the bottom, set more towards the rear.

A nice touch is it includes space within the grip to store both rubber connection covers - but you wouldn't discover this unless you read the instructions.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

I'd think when shooting horizontally (landscape), you only get the real benefit of the grip with the wrist strap attached.  When shooting vertically (portrait), I tried the grip and it provided excellent support.

My experience from shooting the R9 with the DMR or motor drive is that a well-designed wrist strap will make the camera a lot more comfortable to hold / carry even with the added size / weight of the vertical grip.

My experience from shooting the R9 with the DMR or motor drive is that a well-designed wrist strap will make the camera a lot more comfortable to hold / carry even with the added size / weight of the vertical grip.

My experience from shooting the R9 with the DMR or motor drive is that a well-designed shutter release will make the camera a lot more comfortable to hold with an hand strap. The SL release should be more on the front the camera to be perfectly placed when mounted with an hand strap attached on the RRS plate or on the Leica battery grip. Edited by Leicaiste

You are right, actually.  The DMR and motor drive both add front facing shutter releases to the camera and those are more comfortable than the top facing shutter release.

My experience from shooting the R9 with the DMR or motor drive is that a well-designed shutter release will make the camera a lot more comfortable to hold with an hand strap. The SL release should be more on the front the camera to be perfectly placed when mounted with an hand strap attached on the RRS plate or on the Leica battery grip.

I would like to get some opinions on the vertical grip + wrist strap. Cost aside, does it make holding the SL with heavier lenses more comfortable and less taxing? And does it help in shooting portraits?

Not in my opinion.

I had the opportunity to try the Leica vertical grip while I already had the RRS base plate.

The handle of the combo is to tall, not well integrated with the camera body.

You have to remove it to charge the camera battery.

https://www.l-camera-forum.com/topic/253630-recommended-l-plate-for-leica-sl/page-2?do=findComment&comment=3210161

• Like 1