Screenless M10 with remote control?

rosuna

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I am waiting of a M10 without screen, an updated M-D.

The difference is the thickness of the camera, the sensor, the viewfinder... and the possibility of reviewing (and transferring) pictures from a smartphone, and controlling all the parameters of the camera from the phone, using the wifi module built in the camera. 

Is that possible?

I have a M240 and I rarely look at the pictures in the camera or change any parameter in the menu. I would like to transfer pictures from the camera to the phone using wifi for sharing, that is all. I don't need a screen in the camera, or plastic buttons and controls. 

A screenless M10 with remote control would be perfect for me. 

I prefer the ISO control wheel at the back of the camera, just like that of the current M-D, than the small wheel on top of the M10. In a monochrome camera, with a wider range of useable ISO values, the small wheel of the M10 would be too narrow... 

Edited by rosuna
  • Like 4

M10 M-D would be very nice (but will they make it?):

- useable with the add-on EVF

- upgradable EVF?

- WiFi for iPhone App

- Without the screen, the current ISO dial might be a problem. Perhaps the M could be for setting ISO using the App. I loved my M60, and would be in for such a camera, I think.

Edited by IkarusJohn
  • Like 1

EVF is easy... and it is a option.

The current M-D has limited parameters and control possibilities. Maybe too limited. 

But a screenless M10 camera may be controlled from the phone or the computer (card formatting, white balance, anything...) and that is great. I rarely change any parameter in my M240 in the menus. 

The ISO wheel is OK if the sensor is bayer-layered. The monochrome sensors have a much wider range of ISO values, and the larger wheel of the M-D would be more convenient. 

The large and fragile screen and those silly plastic buttons will be gone forever! 

A different possibility for camera evolution is that pointed by the TL line... but that is another story. 

Looking to the present moment from the future, we will find quite primitive those cameras (M8, M9, M240, M10) with strange interfaces at the back. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Used alone (i.e., without the EVF), the M10-D would be relatively clean - same ISO dial (the M function could be set over WiFi using the App) - and nothing on the back but an expanse of leather covering (okay, I would get custom leather on mine).

But here's a conundrum.  One of the benefits of using the EVF is to be able to move the focusing point.  Without any buttons on the back, how would this be done?  I really dislike the idea of the 4 way button being retained.  The EVF brings a number of benefits - exposure simulation, magnified focusing, further information in the screen (if you want it - I guess that would be set using the App, or do we revert to the Fn/movie button?), but the critical one for me (and really the only reason for using the EVF) is to move the focal point.  How would that be done without adding buttons you don't want?

One thing occurred to me - leave the focal point in the middle of the view finder, half press the shutter release and recompose.  While recomposing, if you hold the shutter release down, the camera holds focus on the point that had been in the centre, allowing you to adjust the focus on the lens.  I wonder if this is technically possible ...

Edited by IkarusJohn
  • Like 1

Just my opinion, but it disturbs me to consider that to need an outside app to configure our camera.

Such seems to absolutely break the philosophy of an M camera.

Edited by pico
  • Like 2