Who makes a nice carrying strap for the SL, that can be removed easily?

rafael_macia

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I recognise two different needs, at least for me.

1. An elegant strap. I will use it with my SL and all M-lenses. It is 100% black leather, soft, light, understated elegance, comfortable, can wear it on my neck, or across body. No metal or plastic parts, 100% leather. An example is Tie Her Up range of straps. I use the very simple flat narrow one Thin and Classy strap. The only drawback is it does take a minute or so to attach this strap, or take it off.

2. A technical strap. A technical strap is for all situations where a work has to be done, period. I will use a rapid release SunSniper strap that has the stainless steel wire inside for extra protection. This goes across my body for the SL with the 90-280 lens attached. It's super comfy, very fast in action, and easy to attach/detach. For a smaller lens attached to SL or if across body strap is not required, I carry the SL in my hand with the Black Rapid release wrist strap attached to the RRS base plate. Takes a second to attach / detach the wrist strap and the connection is 1000% secure.

By the way, the RRS base plate never leaves my SL. It's as if part of the SL, one solid piece. Gives me extra grip and extra protection for the camera, and instant arca-swiss plate to attach to a tripod's head. If I do want to take it off, say "wearing" the SL at a theatre or cocktail party with a small M-lens attached, there's an Allen key embedded at the bottom of the plate and I can take the plate off in a matter of seconds.

Edited by meerec

I prefer sling straps to everything else. I have both Blackrapid and Holdfast straps. Neither work the way I want because I also use RRS plates. I want to be able to go quickly from a strap to a tripod.

RRS plate use the QD quick release system but I don't like the QD strap. So I am removing the connectors off my Rapid and Holdfast straps and replacing them with the QD connectors.

Fantastic!! This is the solution I have been looking for for years.

I am also making my own belt clips using Sunway Photo Arca Swiss plates so I'll be able to attach my cameras to my belt/bag via the RRS plate (kind of a home made version of what Peak design sells).

Gordon

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 2

I prefer sling straps to everything else. I have both Blackrapid and Holdfast straps. Neither work the way I want because I also use RRS plates. I want to be able to go quickly from a strap to a tripod.

RRS plate use the QD quick release system but I don't like the QD strap. So I am removing the connectors off my Rapid and Holdfast straps and replacing them with the QD connectors.

Fantastic!! This is the solution I have been looking for for years.

I am also making my own belt clips using Sunway Photo Arca Swiss plates so I'll be able to attach my cameras to my belt/bag via the RRS plate (kind of a home made version of what Peak design sells).

Gordon

Hi Gordon ... I take similar approaches.

#1 quick release sling

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

#2 quick release wrist strap

#3 strap 

Edited by meerec

Guest NEIL-D-WILLIAMS

I've just ordered the Plustek sling, I like the way that you don't have to remove it when using a tripod because the small convectors don't get in the way, that way I can go from carrying it over my shoulder  to on a tripod in either portrait or landscape mode and leave the strap on.

Neil

I've just ordered the Plustek sling, I like the way that you don't have to remove it when using a tripod because the small convectors don't get in the way, that way I can go from carrying it over my shoulder  to on a tripod in either portrait or landscape mode and leave the strap on.

Neil

To me the strap is in a way when on the tripod. I prefer to have it off.

Guest NEIL-D-WILLIAMS

To me the strap is in a way when on the tripod. I prefer to have it off.

That's the beauty of the Peak Design, it comes off very easily :) :)

Neil

Advertisement (gone after registration)

That's the beauty of the Peak Design, it comes off very easily :) :)

Neil

After a full day carrying the SL + 24-90 with the Peak Design Strap SL2 around Bishkek, Kyrzygstan; I find the strap amazing convenient to use strap across my shoulder.

The SL + 24-90 weight was not an issue anymore since strap across my shoulder distributing the weight.  

I added the Peak Design Clutch System CL2, this allows me greater ability to change the exposure compensation and also the aperture.

Glad I bought it just in time for my trip here.

Edited by Fang