Who makes a nice carrying strap for the SL, that can be removed easily?

rafael_macia

I've started using the QD attachment on my RRS base plate. Brilliant. I'm in the process of changing over the clips on my RRS and Holdfast straps to the new connectors.

Please post a photo of your RSS+QD+strap combo...

I have a few pieces of Black Rapid "FastenR-3," which attaches to the tripod socket.  Attaching split-O or -D rings enables the use of a few different straps and easy changing thereof.  In the case of the Optech loop strap, the loops fit through the opening of the "FastenR."

For me, having the SL hang lens-down prevents the base of the camera from acting as a fulcrum when a heavy lens is attached, and puts less pressure on my neck.

Advertisement (gone after registration)

The supplied strap is Ok, but I would like a strap I can take off quick. I intend to do video work with a stabilizer, and for those times I want to remove the strap.

thanks

Unless you are using small M lenses the SL is really too heavy and unbalanced to carry round the neck.

Peak design Slide or similar crossways over the shoulder preferably with the RRS baseplate is the best option I have found after 2 years..... and multiple strap configurations. 

• Like 1

I was quite happy using the provided strap attached to the tripod mount with the C-Loop mount. This is a swivel design similar to Black Rapid I believe. However, my happiness ended abruptly one day when somehow the camera had managed to swivel itself loose and crashed to the ground from hip level height.

I got away with some serious dents, a bent lens shade and a minor heart attack. And, as a result, for the time being I will use the standard strap as intended.

• Like 1

To elucidate my previous post in this thread:

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

I've carried well over 3kg for hours at a time (with an Optech loop strap) using one of these attached to the tripod socket of a telephoto lens without any portent of failure.

• Like 1

Guest NEIL-D-WILLIAMS

Everyone is raving about the peak design strap but there are many styles.............what works best for SL with M lenses??

Hey ... thanks all for the suggestions. The strap which fit the bill is the Optech Pro ⅜" web. The flat web goes through the SL bar connection points perfectly. Loop connectors on straps look imbalanced and mismatched ...... for my taste anyway ....

The price is really reasonable. ($22). I don't like the bright, white, OPTECH logo on the strap .......that will be "Sharpied-out"!

The Peak Designs strap is not really balanced for the SL, because it uses thin loop connectors which do not fit well on the SL's mounting bars, so I passed on it.

Also Jono's warning about metal connectors on Peak straps scratching bodies made me hesitate.

I asked Peak Designs about the loop connectors, and the scratching possibilities ....Peak Designs response ?? They told me to remove the strap when putting it in a case. Absurd !

Edited by rafael_macia

Guest NEIL-D-WILLIAMS

Hey ... thanks all for the suggestions. The strap which fit the bill is the Optech Pro ⅜" web. The flat web goes through the SL bar connection points perfectly. Loop connectors on straps look imbalanced and mismatched ...... for my taste anyway ....

The price is really reasonable. ($22). I don't like the bright, white, OPTECH logo on the strap .......that will be "Sharpied-out"!

The Peak Designs strap is not really balanced for the SL, because it uses thin loop connectors which do not fit well on the SL's mounting bars, so I passed on it.

Also Jono's warning about metal connectors on Peak straps scratching bodies made me hesitate.

I asked Peak Designs about the loop connectors, and the scratching possibilities ....Peak Designs response ?? They told me to remove the strap when putting it in a case. Absurd !

I've just ordered the Peak Design strap with extra loops for both my SL and S007................I think a scratch here and there is okay............it makes the camera look used :)

Neil

I've just ordered the Peak Design strap with extra loops for both my SL and S007................I think a scratch here and there is okay............it makes the camera look used :)

Neil

You will be thought of as a better photographer, if others see you camera as "used". Good move ordering the Peak strap !

Guest NEIL-D-WILLIAMS

Anyone using the Peak Design strap plus the RSS L plate....... can you post up a picture how you connect it to both camera and plate....... please

Neil

Guest NEIL-D-WILLIAMS

Anyone using the Peak Design strap plus the RSS L plate....... can you post up a picture how you connect it to both camera and plate....... please

Neil

Neil

https://www.l-camera-forum.com/topic/267283-hows-the-sl-stock-carry-strap/page-2?do=findComment&comment=3202180

.... and photos a few posts down

Edited by thighslapper

A matter of taste of course, but for me it is UP Strap. It is not a fancy strap, but 100% reliable.

http://www.upstrap-pro.com/category/camera-straps-full-list.html

lots of options to choose from, and the buckles can be non-metallic, so no damaging the camera.

I personally use a rapid release strap, and on occasion exchange the non-slip part of the strap with a plain web for "slippy" cross-body use. 

:)