LEICA Q DNG VS JPG

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Hi everyone, I'm a newbie and I've just got my Leica last week. I love the Jpeg file from this camera but I want to shoot with the raw file.

However, the problem I have is the skin tone of the DNG is quite red although the Jpeg file is till beautiful, in Lightroom and even in the preview app, the DNG file is a bit magenta, I don't know why. Is there something wrong with my camera???

you can see at the sample image I attached. 

Edited by khoabilly
  • Like 1

Here is the image.

the top is Jpeg file

and the bottom is the DNG file I exported from Lightroom without any retouch

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 1

Welcome.

No picture to assess.

More operating details would be helpful, such as camera settings, lighting,white balance and processing procedures.

I see your pictures now.

Not a serious problem and easily fixed in LR..

Edited by wda

Is the profile in Lightroom set to "Embedded" or "Adobe Standard"? Might try switching them up. That said, I've never used a camera where the RAW file looked just like the JPEG in Lightroom regardless of the JPEG in-camera setting.

Thank

Welcome.
No picture to assess.
More operating details would be helpful, such as camera settings, lighting,white balance and processing procedures.

I see your pictures now.

Not a serious problem and easily fixed in LR..

thank you so much. I know I can fix that, but I wonder that your leica q has the same problem as mine??? If not I have to go to the Leica store for the exchange.

Every photo I shot has the same red skin tone like this although I tried many setting on the camera, in daylight, in dark room, and outside. I also tried to choose between "Embedded" or "Adobe Standard" in lightroom but it still red. 

the point is if the camera has the problem with the Raw file, how can it produces a right Jpeg.

I know that the RAW file has to looks different to the JPEG, but I hate the skin tone of the RAW file, it looks very unnaturally

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 1

Advertisement (gone after registration)

It is not your camera. The problem is the camera profile in LR. Adobe does not make very nice profiles in general. I found the same thing, especially with skin tones. A good white balance setting helps, but is not the solution. It is fat better to create a custom profile using a ColorChecker or something of that sort. I have done that some time ago, and it helps a lot. You may try the profile I created, if you like, but I cannot find a way to attach it to the forum post. If you drop me an email at bartvanhofwegen@gmail.com I will be happy to send it to you. You need to copy the file to the directory below and restart Lightroom. Then, from the camera profile section in Develop, select the new profile.

Windows—C: \ Users \ [your username] \ AppData \ Roaming \ Adobe \ CameraRaw \ CameraProfiles \

Mac—Macintosh HD / Users / [your username] / Library / Application Support / Adobe / CameraRaw / CameraProfiles /

Good luck!

• Like 2

Surely the simple point is that a JPEG file is a processed RAW and while a DNG/RAW file has some very basic processing it has to be processed according to the user's requirements to make it acceptable. By definition a DNG file is a file awaiting processing. As the OP points out his camera has processed the JPEG from the same RAW data. I never expect an out of camera DNG to be acceptable without further processing. Certainly setting up a preset in Lightroom or ACR to meet your image requirements a fast and good starting point. I use one of Ming Thein's which I have adapted to my requirements.

• Like 1

Have you tried adjusting the White Balance slider in Lightroom? It only needs tweaking a fraction to give a better rendering.

Is your monitor calibrated? If not, that might be a cause for concern.

I have produced individual presets using ColorChecker and its software. The changes are marginal but better in my view.

What is you light source for the portraits?

Edited by wda

Have you tried adjusting the White Balance slider in Lightroom? It only needs tweaking a fraction to give a better rendering.

Is your monitor calibrated? If not, that might be a cause for concern.

I have produced individual presets using ColorChecker and its software. The changes are marginal but better in my view.

What is you light source for the portraits?

Can you share where i can ask for a copy of the Q customized camera profile for lightroom? 

Can you share where i can ask for a copy of the Q customized camera profile for lightroom? 

I think I mentioned it in my first reply, I cannot find a way to share the profile through the forum, you cannot attach other files than images. But if you drop me an email at bartvanhofwegen@gmail.com I can send it to you (or anyone interested). My profile works best in full daylight, but also does a very decent job in other situations.

Indeed, JPG rendering is always based on subjective judgements. Manufacturers of software and camera's (software too, in this case, when you think about it) also try to figure out a way to make it look "good" in wide range of situations.

Some tips:

• Always take extra care of using a good White Balance setting on forehand when shooting JPG out of the camera!
  • When converting RAW, adjust white balance for better results; use the dropper took on neutral parts of the photo
  • The saturation slider in the HSL section can be used to adjust the color balance, even in combination with a custom profile (Presets with these, among other settings, is what Ming Thein's workflow is based on). I found that for skin tones, dialing down the oranges and sometimes the reds can help. But whatever you do here: don't overdo it! These settings can easiliy lead to nasty artifacts such as noise and blotches, and these are easily overlooked when focusing only on the color balance.
  • For making your own profile with a ColorChecker card, I prefer Adobe Profile Editor over the ColorChecker software, Adobe gives me better results
  • When making custom profiles, make sure that the card is evenly lit! This is key to getting a good profile.
Edited by Bart van Hofwegen

It is not your camera. The problem is the camera profile in LR. Adobe does not make very nice profiles in general. I found the same thing, especially with skin tones. A good white balance setting helps, but is not the solution. It is fat better to create a custom profile using a ColorChecker or something of that sort. I have done that some time ago, and it helps a lot. You may try the profile I created, if you like, but I cannot find a way to attach it to the forum post. If you drop me an email at bartvanhofwegen@gmail.com I will be happy to send it to you. You need to copy the file to the directory below and restart Lightroom. Then, from the camera profile section in Develop, select the new profile.

Windows—C: \ Users \ [your username] \ AppData \ Roaming \ Adobe \ CameraRaw \ CameraProfiles \

Mac—Macintosh HD / Users / [your username] / Library / Application Support / Adobe / CameraRaw / CameraProfiles /

Good luck!

Use Dropbox.

personally I only use photoshop, not LR, and I'm not a fan in general of "profiles". I'd rather adjust each picture as needed on my calibrated monitor. That said, when I opened the image in photoshop, the second image looks far different than how it renders in this webpage. I did a very slight white balance adjustment on the second image and slightly dialed down the saturation and it looks fine. The image is by the way out of focus.

warning: this will look bad via webpage, so download it and open it in either LR or photoshop.

i-ztfjXcS.jpg

personally I only use photoshop, not LR, and I'm not a fan in general of "profiles".

If you shoot RAW and take the image to Photoshop, do you use Adobe Camera Raw? If so, you use the built in profile, if you like it or not. It is not an optimal profile, mildly put. Adobe Camera Raw uses the exact same engine as Lightroom, only the user interface is different. That said, I don't use Lightroom either and often use a different RAW converter than ACR.

warning: this will look bad via webpage, so download it and open it in either LR or photoshop.

Interesting, When downloading the image (save image as... in browser, there is no download link) and inspecting it, it does not have an embedded profile or tag. Maybe the forum stripped it, who knows. Most browsers will render it assuming sRGB, if it is not, then there is a problem indeed. However, I opened it in Photoshop, tagged it as sRGB and it looks exactly the same  as in the browser. So that is expected behavior. (And yes, I have a calibrated monitor, but that does not matter in the comparing) That leaves me with the following questions: what browser do you use, and how did you tag the image when opening in PS?

If you shoot RAW and take the image to Photoshop, do you use Adobe Camera Raw? If so, you use the built in profile, if you like it or not. It is not an optimal profile, mildly put. Adobe Camera Raw uses the exact same engine as Lightroom, only the user interface is different. That said, I don't use Lightroom either and often use a different RAW converter than ACR.

Interesting, When downloading the image (save image as... in browser, there is no download link) and inspecting it, it does not have an embedded profile or tag. Maybe the forum stripped it, who knows. Most browsers will render it assuming sRGB, if it is not, then there is a problem indeed. However, I opened it in Photoshop, tagged it as sRGB and it looks exactly the same  as in the browser. So that is expected behavior. (And yes, I have a calibrated monitor, but that does not matter in the comparing) That leaves me with the following questions: what browser do you use, and how did you tag the image when opening in PS?

I use Adobe Camera Raw (always with no problem) now suddenly, when I open the raw image, all the bright spots are bright red. Have I done something different in my set-up?

I use Adobe Camera Raw (always with no problem) now suddenly, when I open the raw image, all the bright spots are bright red. Have I done something different in my set-up?

No, nothing wrong, but you seem to have turned on the "blown highlights" warning. On the histogram, you see two arrows on the top left and right. Click the right one, once, the red will go away.

It is actually somewhat useful, click it to turn it on again an adjust exposure upward, you will see more red were highlights cannot hold any detail anymore. The arrow on the left does the same for blacks. Turn it on by clicking it once, dial down exposure and see the darkest parts turn blue. This is meant as a warning that you are losing any detail in those area. The colors will NOT show up in your conversion and can be switched on and off with the little arrows.

• Like 1

No, nothing wrong, but you seem to have turned on the "blown highlights" warning. On the histogram, you see two arrows on the top left and right. Click the right one, once, the red will go away.

It is actually somewhat useful, click it to turn it on again an adjust exposure upward, you will see more red were highlights cannot hold any detail anymore. The arrow on the left does the same for blacks. Turn it on by clicking it once, dial down exposure and see the darkest parts turn blue. This is meant as a warning that you are losing any detail in those area. The colors will NOT show up in your conversion and can be switched on and off with the little arrows.

Thank you very much Bart!

• Thanks 1

• 1 year later...