Issue: M 240 format cards when swapping battery

The card cannot be formatted when the battery is removed i guess but putting the battery back in should not trigger the formatting process IMHO. Better switch off the camera before removing the bottom plate anyway.

Edited by lct

If you remove the battery while the camera is writing to the card, you may damage the formatting of the card in a way which may make it appear unformatted. Switching the camera on when an unformatted card is mounted might have unpredictable effects.

• Like 1

Advertisement (gone after registration)

This is what I did:
1, take a photo, press "play" to confirm the photo is taken
2, take off the base place, the warning message about base plate removal will show up

3, wait for the warning message to disappear. Press "play" again, the message will show up

4, pop out the battery

5, replace the battery and the base plate. Now all images will be gone!

It happens almost randomly, but did happen to me twice, once during a shoot and I had to use another card while running recovery software on the faulty card. Not sure if it's the camera or the card, hence I'm checking here to see if anyone has the same issue.

Edited by minh0204

Why pressing "play" twice if you intend to remove the battery? Makes little sense with all due respect. Now i did those curious things four times and neither formatting nor erasing happened in any way i must say...

This is what I did:

2, take off the base place, the warning message about base plate removal will show up

3, wait for the warning message to disappear. Press "play" again, the message will show up

4, pop out the battery

It happens almost randomly, but did happen to me twice, once during a shoot and I had to use another card while running recovery software on the faulty card. Not sure if it's the camera or the card, hence I'm checking here to see if anyone has the same issue.

I find this a strange way to change batteries. Just switch off, replace battery, and shoot.

I think there is nothing wrong with either card or camera, but you managed to corrupt the data by this strange sequence.

This is what I did:

4, pop out the battery

Yes, and if you take a photograph while the lens cap is on the lens, you will get a dark frame, and if you smash the camera to the ground, you may break something. Such is life.

Yes, and if you take a photograph while the lens cap is on the lens, you will get a dark frame, and if you smash the camera to the ground, you may break something. Such is life.

Of course I don't always change the battery in this sequence; sometimes I even remember to remove the lens cap before taking a photo as well :) The point is, if the "play" button is pressed by accident before you change the battery, it's possible to corrupt the card. Just want to point it out and hopefully help someone if they have the same problem.

[...] The point is, if the "play" button is pressed by accident before you change the battery, it's possible to corrupt the card. [...]

Never heard about that so far and i could not replicate your issue. I would show my camera to a good workshop if i were you and i would refrain from removing the base plate when the camera is on anyway. FWIW .

Of course I don't always change the battery in this sequence; sometimes I even remember to remove the lens cap before taking a photo as well :) The point is, if the "play" button is pressed by accident before you change the battery, it's possible to corrupt the card. Just want to point it out and hopefully help someone if they have the same problem.

The issue is not the play button. The issue is removing the battery or the card while the camera is using the card. As long as you do that, you run the risk of damaging your files. It's the same with every device which records data to any medium.

• Like 4

Reading an SD card may also result in write operations. So even if you use Play and remove the battery, the card could become corrupt. See http://www.tech-faq.com/flash-memory.html

Read Disturb Limitation

The primary method to read memory on NAND-styled flash memory has been known to cause cells in nearby memory blocks to become programmed or to change over time. This phenomena is known as “read disturb.” In order to avoid this issue, the flash chip controller will normally keep track or count the total number of reads to a memory block since the last time it was erased. Once the designed limit is reached, this block is copied to a new block and then erased and released to the memory block pool. Once this occurs, the original data block is considered ready to use again. If this work-around is not employed in time; however, the read disturb error will happen and there can be data loss as a result.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...