Leica M6 sticky frames

Guest gaborkss

Guest gaborkss

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Dear All,

this is my first post here.

I have two leica m6 and both suffer from minor issues. One has a slightly misaligned RF vertically

and the other one has sticky frames. It is not possible for me to have them locally repaired and 

I have been given very high quotes from repair shop in other cities (not to mention LEICA), so

I have decided to buy the tools to remove the top cover and do the job by myself. 

I am rather confident about the vertical alignment, less about the cleaning of the rangefinder masks.

I would be very grateful if someone with experience in this kind of repair could advice me on what to use to clean

the masks and the kind of lubricant should be use once putting everything back.  

Thank you very much,

Gabriele

I have been given very high quotes from repair shop in other cities (not to mention LEICA),

Are you in the States? YYE is on the east coast and his CLA's are reasonably priced.

Both conditions should be covered under a regular cleaning.

Yes, they should be covered in a regular clean, but I suppose different people have different concepts of what a high quote is. Cleaning the RF masks would be a delicate job - they are thin - that would require a significant amount of disassembly and therefore time.

You might find that with some use, the frames become less sticky and free up with use.