User Profile Recall ?

roverover

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Curious, is it normal for the m10 after shutting off and turning back on later to have it come back on in "Default Profile" mode instead of the last User profile used? I have the updated FW.

I've done a forum search but couldn't find this exact topic being discussed or listed as a bug, so i assume this just normal for the m10?

The 240 does NOT function this way and always turned back on in the last mode selected. Is there perhaps a setting to allow the m10 it to come back on in a "desired" or last used user profile?

Edited by roverover

• 3 weeks later...

I noticed this issue after the latest FW Update.

Finally figured it out, at least for my case.

So...

I have set up the four profiles as: B&W, Color, Continuous, Timer.

I would leave it on B&W and when turned off and on it was fine. But, If I was using Color or any of the other 3 profiles the camera went back to default.

It was driving me crazy AND taking a lot of time as I would re-enter the specifics I wanted for each of these three profiles only to see them lost when I turned the camera off. And I thought I was following the directions to the letter.

Anyway, it is all a bit fuzzy to me now but what I finally did was set everything for B&W (my 1st Profile for black & white jpeg review.) Then, to do the second preset I began with that B&W setting active and made the changes for, in my case Color. When all settings were in place I would then go to the User Profiles (one of my Favorites on the home menu) and go to the Save as User Profile and save it.

Previously, I had started the process IN THE PROFILE I was trying to set. For some reason that did not work so that's when I started from the first setting and then went on the the 2nd, 3rd and 4th.

Sorry if this reads a bit, or a lot, confusingly, but I am writing this from memory. If it does not work for you send me a private message and we could go over it on the phone (Mountain Time for me.) I do not look at this forum every day so don't get frustrated if I do not reply right away.

I noticed this issue after the latest FW Update.

Finally figured it out, at least for my case.

So...

I have set up the four profiles as: B&W, Color, Continuous, Timer.

I would leave it on B&W and when turned off and on it was fine. But, If I was using Color or any of the other 3 profiles the camera went back to default.

It was driving me crazy AND taking a lot of time as I would re-enter the specifics I wanted for each of these three profiles only to see them lost when I turned the camera off. And I thought I was following the directions to the letter.

Anyway, it is all a bit fuzzy to me now but what I finally did was set everything for B&W (my 1st Profile for black & white jpeg review.) Then, to do the second preset I began with that B&W setting active and made the changes for, in my case Color. When all settings were in place I would then go to the User Profiles (one of my Favorites on the home menu) and go to the Save as User Profile and save it.

Previously, I had started the process IN THE PROFILE I was trying to set. For some reason that did not work so that's when I started from the first setting and then went on the the 2nd, 3rd and 4th.

Sorry if this reads a bit, or a lot, confusingly, but I am writing this from memory. If it does not work for you send me a private message and we could go over it on the phone (Mountain Time for me.) I do not look at this forum every day so don't get frustrated if I do not reply right away.

Thanks for the reply. If i am understanding your reply, you were having trouble "Storing" presets to recall them, however, that is NOT the issue i am experiencing. I can store presets and they are always available to load, what i was wondering is if the M-10 is capable of turning back on the same Preset Mode that it was using when shut down, which is how the 240 works.

Thanks for the reply. If i am understanding your reply, you were having trouble "Storing" presets to recall them, however, that is NOT the issue i am experiencing. I can store presets and they are always available to load, what i was wondering is if the M-10 is capable of turning back on the same Preset Mode that it was using when shut down, which is how the 240 works.

My M10 ( at Wetzlar at the moment because I dropped it) started up on the profile it had been on when I closed it down, in the same way as the M240.

But I haven't been able to try the latest firmware update. Could your problem be something to do with that?

My M10 ( at Wetzlar at the moment because I dropped it) started up on the profile it had been on when I closed it down, in the same way as the M240.

But I haven't been able to try the latest firmware update. Could your problem be something to do with that?

Thank You. That is interesting. You are the first M10 user to reply that it functions that way. My M10 will not return to the User Profile that I used when i shut it. I have tried this through all 3 Firmware updates too.

So sorry to hear your camera was injured, i know that hurts us owners too.

Can anyone else chime in that uses User Profiles?

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I have to  admit that I don't really use user profiles so far.

However, I defined two additional profiles a few minutes ago. Fortunately, my M10 starts with the last user profile selected before turning the camera off. Thus it works as expected. 

(Still on firmware 1.7.4.0)

I have to  admit that I don't really use user profiles so far.

However, I defined two additional profiles a few minutes ago. Fortunately, my M10 starts with the last user profile selected before turning the camera off. Thus it works as expected. 

(Still on firmware 1.7.4.0)

Thank You for taking the time to test it out. Knowing that it should work has prompted me to spend more time experimenting and I have discovered that 1 of My saved Profiles has a 2/sec Self-Timer setting selected and it's that setting feature that is preventing the camera from loading that User Profile when it was the last one I used.

Thanks to all who replied, it helped me track down the reason it wasn't functioning for me. It seems to me that this is a programming glitch. The M-10 DOES allow a Self-Timer setting to be "Stored" and then "Loaded" manually in a User Profile, but the camera will Not turn back on in that User Profile if it was the last one used when the camera was shut down.

Just an FYI for anyone else that might encounter this.

• 3 years later...

Hi, 

I’m having this same issue (camera goes back to std profile every time power is turned off).  I don’t have any self-timers set.  This is true for both M10 and M10 Monochrom.  Seems I have to load my user profile every time time I turn the camera back on.

@roverover - as I said, no self-timer set in any profile.  Any suggestions?

Regards,

Reed

• 9 months later...
On 3/6/2021 at 5:07 PM, rgeorge911 said:

Hi, 

I’m having this same issue (camera goes back to std profile every time power is turned off).  I don’t have any self-timers set.  This is true for both M10 and M10 Monochrom.  Seems I have to load my user profile every time time I turn the camera back on.

@roverover - as I said, no self-timer set in any profile.  Any suggestions?

Regards,

Reed

Mine is doing this too. When I turn the camera on it looks like it is set to the "standard" profile, but all the settings are the same as the setting I set/saved in my one custom profile I have set up so far on my M10. I have a feeling that the "standard" profile is merely the profile that was used last as when I look at the profiles available Standard is not one of them. Can anyone confirm this? Thanks!

Every little change in the settings of the camera such as display mode or exposure compensation seems to make the chosen profile disappear. But this is not so. It remains the chosen profile added with the changed settings. 

So if the camera is in the default profile this means standard profile or chosen profile plus changes on that.

This is hard to describe, especially in English. Hope You understand it.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, elmars said:

Every little change in the settings of the camera such as display mode or exposure compensation seems to make the chosen profile disappear. But this is not so. It remains the chosen profile added with the changed settings. 

So if the camera is in the default profile this means standard profile or chosen profile plus changes on that.

This is hard to describe, especially in English. Hope You understand it.

This does make sense. So if you change the iso dial, it keeps your selected profile settings, but switches to standard profile as a setting has been changed since you last selected that profile?!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, AllNoAll said:

This does make sense. So if you change the iso dial, it keeps your selected profile settings, but switches to standard profile as a setting has been changed since you last selected that profile?!

From my testing, if you choose a "saved" profile, but make any settings changes, it doesn't revert back to a "standard profile," it simply modifies the chosen profile.
So, if you make a change and then go back and look at your "profiles," the profile you chose doesn't show as active because it was modified, but the camera
is using your last profile selection but allowed you to make a change to it, so basically, because you changed it, the camera doesn't display it as that exact profile.

I know this is a little tricky to explain but I think I am correct from my own testings and hope this helps.

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, roverover said:

From my testing, if you choose a "saved" profile, but make any settings changes, it doesn't revert back to a "standard profile," it simply modifies the chosen profile.
So, if you make a change and then go back and look at your "profiles," the profile you chose doesn't show as active because it was modified, but the camera
is using your last profile selection but allowed you to make a change to it, so basically, because you changed it, the camera doesn't display it as that exact profile.

I know this is a little tricky to explain but I think I am correct from my own testings and hope this helps.

This does make sense! Even though I think it’s not the best way to handle profiles. Maybe I just need to live with it for a bit before I pass judgement.

• Like 2

On 12/25/2021 at 9:47 AM, AllNoAll said:

This does make sense! Even though I think it’s not the best way to handle profiles. Maybe I just need to live with it for a bit before I pass judgement.

I agree, it's not the best way to handle the M User Profiles. A better idea might be to show the user selected profile but add an *asterisk* or such to indicate
a CHANGE was made and which profile is active. This way, the user isn't in the dark about which profile was modified and active. I bent my brain to figure out
how this was set-up and I feel it could better too and easily modified by Leica.

• Like 1