Leica S format verses others

Guest NEIL-D-WILLIAMS

Guest NEIL-D-WILLIAMS

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Last month I bought a Chamonix 8x10 and basically shot that most days as you do when you buy something new :) Anyway on one of the shoots I used my Leica S as a ginny pig prior to making the 8x10 shot (at $7 bucks a shot you want to try and get it right first time). Anyway the shot turned out okay, in fact it turned out very okay........... below

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Today I was looking through the shots that I took with my Leica S and came across the ginny pig shot. At first I was like WTFHT, then I remembered that the Chamonix is 8x10 and the Leica format is 4x something, but it just looks so skinny, kind of like a upside-down panorama :)

Don't get me wrong I like the format of both but I was shocked to see just how different the perspective is

Here is the ginny pig shot.......i'm glad I took it.....I love my S :)

• Like 3

Nice shots, both! Love the 8x10.

Leica M, SL, S, Q are all 3:2 ratio, so 6.67" x 10" would be the comparison to the 8"x10" format. Most digital MF guys use a 4:3 ratio (The Sony 50MP sensor is 44mmx33mm, the Leica S is 45mmx30mm). 645 film is supposedly 4:3, but I think it's not exact. 6x7 is also not exactly 6:7, and is closer to 8x10 than other MF film.

--Matt

A lot of landscape guys complain about the Leica ratio, but then shoot 2:1 or 3:1 panos. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Edited by mgrayson3

Guest NEIL-D-WILLIAMS

I think...... not sure though but you can change the format in camera on the S007 but all it really does is delete pixels....... so your better of just living with the Zleica format........ had I not been shooting with he Chamonix I wouldn't have known the difference [emoji41][emoji41][emoji41]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Guest NEIL-D-WILLIAMS

At the size shown here a mobile phone camera is almost good enough, what size are you looking to print and do you see much of a difference? I would never go back to sheet film, far too staid and uninteresting results IME.

john

John I print most of my stuff A3+ and keep them in nice portfolios. I also sometimes print A2....... that's as big as my Epson P807 will go.

I'm enjoying shooting LF, as continue to enjoy shooting digital as well.

Thanks

Neil

It's not perspective (only affected by subject to camera distance), it's aspect ratio. One can change that (crop) in camera or in post.... same principles.

The S is 45x30, or 3x2, the same ratio as 35mm (36x24). The 8x10 is obviously the same ratio as 4x5. You might like 5x7 as a compromise.

Medium format film varies as well...6x4.5, 6x6 (square), 6x7, and much more.

Funny you just realize this... for many, like me, it's a priority from the start in choosing a system.

Jeff

Edited by Jeff S

Advertisement (gone after registration)

At the size shown here a mobile phone camera is almost good enough, what size are you looking to print and do you see much of a difference? I would never go back to sheet film, far too staid and uninteresting results IME.

john

I have a Canon PRO-2000, print up to A2 sheet, and (from roll) up to 61 cm * whatever, largest print I have made so far is 61*210 cm.

Guest NEIL-D-WILLIAMS

It's not perspective (only affected by subject to camera distance), it's aspect ratio. One can change that (crop) in camera or in post.... same principles.

The S is 45x30, or 3x2, the same ratio as 35mm (36x24). The 8x10 is obviously the same ratio as 4x5. You might like 5x7 as a compromise.

Medium format film varies as well...6x4.5, 6x6 (square), and much more.

Funny you just realize this... for many, like me, it's a priority from the start in choosing s system.

Jeff

Jeff

You know me, I can get muddled up with my words especially when I try the big ones. Ive actually known all along what ratio Leica cameras use as I have had them since 2011 or around there. My point was that after shooting 8x10 for about 3 weeks to then see that beside the Leica 3x2 its like WOW to me. I think that the 3x2 excels in portraiture whereas the 8x10 excels in landscape..........thats a personnel thing.

I also like the 6x6 formate that I get when I shoot my Hasselblad 503 CW, I guess at the end of the day if you are half decent at taking pictures and have an eye for a picture then it really doesn't matter what format you shoot, as you will shoot something pretty decent.

Neil

Guest NEIL-D-WILLIAMS

I have a Canon PRO-2000, print up to A2 sheet, and (from roll) up to 61 cm * whatever, largest print I have made so far is 61*210 cm.

I would love one of those big 44" or 67" printers, I just can't justify spending all that money on something that is just going to collet dust. At least with the P807, it gets used most days and gives me pleasure seeing the prints coming out of the front of the printer.....If I really need something printed bigger I just get the lady that prints my website stuff to print it.........that stuff looks great too

Neil

Beside personal aesthetics, I care about how it affects supply purchase decisions , e.g, papers, mats, frames , glass etc, as well as how works hang together for display. And it definitely impacts how I see the world if shooting with one format over a long period. I can't generalize between subject matter and format; for me it's more image specific. I feel the same about print size.... lately very small series.

Jeff