NYC PRIDE Parade - on film

A miller

Advertisement (gone after registration)

NYC hosts the largest LGBT PRIDE parade in the world.  It is perhaps the most fun and vibrant parade held in NYC every year (and there are many).

As I told my "I like film" thread friends, I was surprised to see so many film photographers in the parade.  Of course, it is the best medium to use to best capture the colors and skin.  Don't you think?? :) 

M-A, 28mm cron, Portra 400 (@800)

Here's a start.  More to come.....!

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Edited by A miller
  • Like 7

NYC hosts the largest LGBT PRIDE parade in the world.  It is perhaps the most fun and vibrant parade held in NYC every year (and there are many).

As I told my "I like film" thread friends, I was surprised to see so many film photographers in the parade.  Of course, it is the best medium to use to best capture the colors and skin.  Don't you think?? :) 

I agree completely. These images deserve to be captured on film. I envy you being able to walk out into this expLosive colorful event!!

Frank

• Like 1

I agree completely. These images deserve to be captured on film. I envy you being able to walk out into this expLosive colorful event!!

Frank

Thanks, Frank!  I unfortunately only had about an hour b/c I needed to pick up my son from an appointment downtown.  I easily could have stayed there all day and shot a dozen rolls...  perhaps next year!

• Like 2

M-A, 28mm cron, Portra 400 

• Like 1

These are such excellent photographs!

But there is also much to learn from them in terms of technique. I have seen many 'street' photographs from protests, music festivals, and pride events which are so generalised that there is nothing for the eye to rest on. In his book Camera Lucida Roland Barthes writes about 'punctum'. I have always interpreted that to be some detail in the picture which holds the eye. In the first picture those socks are obviously 'it'; but in #4 is it the lips or the skirt? So often in Adam's pictures I learn something about how to make an interesting picture in a confused situation.

• Like 2

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Many thanks, Gentlemen.  Any of us would be like a kid in a candy store at this parade with our Leicas :)  Pure bliss!

These are such excellent photographs!

But there is also much to learn from them in terms of technique. I have seen many 'street' photographs from protests, music festivals, and pride events which are so generalised that there is nothing for the eye to rest on. In his book Camera Lucida Roland Barthes writes about 'punctum'. I have always interpreted that to be some detail in the picture which holds the eye. In the first picture those socks are obviously 'it'; but in #4 is it the lips or the skirt? So often in Adam's pictures I learn something about how to make an interesting picture in a confused situation.

A delightful set, as usual.

I told this guy that if he really wanted to make a statement his sign should have Trump's bloody decapitated head on it.  I told him that the bar has now been set so high that anything less is just a nicety and ineffectual.  He told me that he couldn't draw.  I then told him that I'd bet he could find a illustration on the web that he could simply print out and glue to his sign.  He then told me that he couldn't afford to do that.  What he ended up with is basically an extremely low budget rant, which only caught people's eye for a fleeting second.  Could have been so much more.   I tried to help him.  

• Like 3

Another...  :wub:

• Like 4

First one isn't a filler.  5 & 6 good too!

Edited by honcho
  • Like 1

• Like 1

Perhaps too much "pride"? :)

• Like 1

Love that Portra 400 !

• Like 1