To the Leica S and also SL owners

Guest NEIL-D-WILLIAMS

Guest NEIL-D-WILLIAMS

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I was planning to take the SL, 24-90, and WATE on a walking trip, but just couldn't leave the S behind, so I went with the S, 24, and 70. It wasn't bad having the S+24 over my shoulder. In retrospect, the SL would have made more sense, but I'm an S addict.

--Matt

Matt

I'm with you bro. It's kind of like having a truck and a Porsche sitting in the drive. It's okay to jump into the truck for a trip to the supermarket but if you're going somewhere nice then of course you want to go in style.

Again I love my SL but ...........

Neil

• Like 1

Guest NEIL-D-WILLIAMS

0.95 on the SL for the magical stuff

You certified have got that bit write [emoji41][emoji41]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Neil,   I have hiked and driven all over both NZ islands over the years using the M, S and SL.  If you use the car, I would recommend you take the S system.  The scenery is incredible and perhaps the best kept secret in the world for landscape photographers.   But if you have a sherpa, I would take the SL with a Leica S to L adapter...just in case the S007 misbehaves.  I used this combo a lot and it saved my hikes several times.  I found up sizing SL files never to be an issue.  Many of my clients like large prints 4X6 ft.  

Now days, I use the SL and M systems for weight and hiking/driving to my locations.  Plus Leica is going to have some surprises coming soon for the S system.  Last, I would not recommend taking the 4X5 as your S files will be superb as you well know.  Then again, maybe the sherpa can do double duty, drive and carry the equipment...just in case you decide to hike.

Last, if you do hike, the Milford and Routeburn tracks are worth the effort...but bring your sherpa...and tripod.

r/ Mark

Edited by LeicaR10

Good question,

I would say it depends a lot what you want to achieve.

If I want to be quick, spontanious, get the shot the SL with ability to move focus point around, with a 24-90 zoom (specially in bad weather big advatage over primes) the SL does a great job. Also less prone to vibration, IS, and IQ is quite good.

If you want to max IQ or print big big the S certainly wins.

And for more "character" and less obstrusive shooting I like the M (or the T).

Lately for me I more often grab the smaller cameras because it is more important to have the right lens with me (you dont want to carry 5 S lenses) and to be fast and spontanious than maxing IQ.

To NZ I would certainly bring the S.

For my upcoming trip to a greek Island I will bring either the T, or eventually the M with 3 lenses (eventually MM with "character lenses") to achieve a certain look in my images,

I would certainly not carry a S and 4x5 because I believe it is double bubble and you allways will have a hard time to decide between the 2.

Guest NEIL-D-WILLIAMS

I wouldn't like to pack a Chamonix for a flight anywhere

I'm more worried about my S gear than The Chamonix. If I end up buying it I will be putting it in my checkin suitcase

Neil

Unfortunately I don't take any Leica gear on landscape trips. I tried the S on a recent weekend away to test it and as I thought I can't live with mandatory LENR or the stupidly short exposure times. I also hate the S zoom. But I loved the usability and interface of the camera and the lenses are sublime (except the zoom).

I'm off to Cuba in October and as much as I want to take my M, S or SL, I'll be taking an X1D and filling the gaps, probably with an A7R2. The A7R2 is a camera I don't particularly like but with the wide zoom and 70-300 it'll be a good compliment to the Hasselblad. I would take the SL but I'm walking a lot during the day so don't need it if I have the Sony, regardless of how good the lenses are.

Gordon

• Like 1

My 4x5 lenses are

Nikor 360mm (love this lens)

Fuji 210mm lens

Fuji 150 mm

Rodent 90mm (had to buy another bellows for that but only used it once as its a PITA to keep changing bellows

Therfore I would only take the 360mm and 150mm to NZ

Neil

Which Chamonix do you have? I use 75mm on a standard below with no issue.

Guest NEIL-D-WILLIAMS

Unfortunately I don't take any Leica gear on landscape trips. I tried the S on a recent weekend away to test it and as I thought I can't live with mandatory LENR or the stupidly short exposure times. I also hate the S zoom. But I loved the usability and interface of the camera and the lenses are sublime (except the zoom).

I'm off to Cuba in October and as much as I want to take my M, S or SL, I'll be taking an X1D and filling the gaps, probably with an A7R2. The A7R2 is a camera I don't particularly like but with the wide zoom and 70-300 it'll be a good compliment to the Hasselblad. I would take the SL but I'm walking a lot during the day so don't need it if I have the Sony, regardless of how good the lenses are.

Gordon

Gordon

What's LENR

Neil

Guest NEIL-D-WILLIAMS

Which Chamonix do you have? I use 75mm on a standard below with no issue.

I have the new Chamonix 8x10..............my comments about having to change bellows was on my Wisner Technical 4x5 when using my 90mm. Currently my Wisner is waiting for a nice wooden tripod and will then become a permanent fixture in the corner of my living room............beautiful looking camera, but heavy and somewhat clumsy. If I decide to buy another 4x5 it will be the Chamonix 45H-1

Neil

• Like 2

Gordon

What's LENR

Neil

Not Gordon, but LENR is Long Exposure Noise Reduction.

The problem is that for e.g Leica S and SL, LENR is always activated for longish exposures, reducing the number of images taken during changing light conditions (first you expose for X minutes, then the camera software computes and removes digital noise for X minutes).

Alternatively, if in-camera LENR is optional, digital noise can be mediated/removed afterwards by the user. In this way, more images can be taken and, secondly, the user us free to chose the degree of noise removal.

Edited by helged
  • Like 2

I have the new Chamonix 8x10..............my comments about having to change bellows was on my Wisner Technical 4x5 when using my 90mm. Currently my Wisner is waiting for a nice wooden tripod and will then become a permanent fixture in the corner of my living room............beautiful looking camera, but heavy and somewhat clumsy. If I decide to buy another 4x5 it will be the Chamonix 45H-1

Neil

That I think is a better choice. I however went down the heavy sturdy path with the Linhof technika 3000 this month.

Gordon

The A7RII just seems more practical than the SL, especially with the current lens line up...

The A7RII just seems more practical than the SL, especially with the current lens line up...

I actually prefer the range of the SL lenses. And the look of the optics. For me the A7R2 is a backup/hi res body and gets little use. I need it but not often. Regardless of the potential to have smaller cameras and lenses I would prefer to carry the larger SL whenever possible.

I'm currently reducing my Sony inventory. I have the body because I can shoot high res files with the Canon T/S lenses but I mostly use the SL if I can. That's why I'm so keen on a 36+ MP SL body. Now I have the X1D I'm selling off Sony lenses, as the Hasselblad ones become available. I ordered the 120 macro today (should have it tomorrow) so I'll be selling my Zeiss 100MP and a couple of Sony primes in that range. When the 22mm comes I'll sell the Sony 16-35 as well. In fact if the HB 22mm is available before my trip I'll leave the Sony at home and take the SL. I may even just take the upcoming TL2 as a backup. I just know I want resolution in the wide angle files. It'l be a bigger kit but for me, a more enjoyable one.

Currently travel is the only time where I don't prefer Leica. I do 85% of my work with the SL and 10% with the S. A high res SL2 would take that to 95% and a mirrorless S would make it 100%. But for travel the X1D is definitely king of the hill. There's nothing in that size/weight that comes close for me. The Fuji is chunky. The A7R2 files are one step behind and with equivalent optics comes equivalent size. The S isn't mirrorless.

Gordon