No aperture settings on EXIF, how do you keep track of Fstops

tonyniev

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I expected Leica to re-activate the aperture estimate in a firmware update, but alas, that didn’t happen. It was very useful to me on the M240 and I miss it dearly on the M10. That and the missing split-level are the two things I miss most from the M240.

Leica can have both these features turned off by default and allow a menu setting to turn them on. There are enough loyal Leica customers who long for these features, I do hope Leica will listen.

• Like 1

I expected Leica to re-activate the aperture estimate in a firmware update, but alas, that didn’t happen. It was very useful to me on the M240 and I miss it dearly on the M10. That and the missing split-level are the two things I miss most from the M240.

Leica can have both these features turned off by default and allow a menu setting to turn them on. There are enough loyal Leica customers who long for these features, I do hope Leica will listen.

This is what my crystal ball shows:

- Leica will have these dropped features reappear in future version of M10. Lets call it MP(10).

- M240 users upgrading their bodies will be more inclined to buy new MP(10) rather than going for used M10.

- Leica marketing and finance department throw a party to celebrate success of this clever move.

- New Leica MP(10) users, being gentlemen with lots of mullah,  will defend Leica's business practices.

Edited by jmahto

Its a part of the Leica 'mystique' ;) . Perhaps we need a thread on 'which notebook' to jot down relevant (or indeed, utterly irrelevant) information about settings, subject matter and so on. It could evolve in a similar fashion to the 'which bag' treads. Personally I favour Leuchtterm 1917 notebooks but this is only because I'm an awkward person who still actually uses a fountain pen at times :D . You can still write in them using modern pens but you know it really isn't the same as proper ink, and writing doesn't convey the same sense of moment with anything other than a fountain pen :o .

Its a part of the Leica 'mystique' ;) . Perhaps we need a thread on 'which notebook' to jot down relevant (or indeed, utterly irrelevant) information about settings, subject matter and so on. It could evolve in a similar fashion to the 'which bag' treads. Personally I favour Leuchtterm 1917 notebooks but this is only because I'm an awkward person who still actually uses a fountain pen at times :D . You can still write in them using modern pens but you know it really isn't the same as proper ink, and writing doesn't convey the same sense of moment with anything other than a fountain pen :o .

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Paul,

Thank you for the info on Leuchtturm Notebooks. Due to an unsteady hand from arthritis, my writing is close to illegible, even by myself, unless using a wide italic nib fountain pen. I have been looking for notebook with decent paper that does not act like blotting paper with real ink. The nearest I found was Moleskin but the paper quality on those seems to have deteriorated with the last one I bought and is now printing through. My wife bought me a beautiful hand tooled and bound leather covered quarto notebook with hand laid linen paper inside. Lovely idea but the paper is so rough that the nib catches on it leaving ink splatters everywhere. I have ordered a Leuchtturm from Amazon. 

When I am on a long trip I write down the highest camera file numbers from each camera at the end of the day, together with brief notes of where we have been. Mind you the GPS is so good on the SL, together with Capture One, where there is a live link from the GPS EXIF data to Google maps, it is now easy to geolocate every photo. 

Wilson

Edited by wlaidlaw