In praise of the 35mm Summilux aspheric pre-FLE at f/2.8 - focus shift?

pgk

Advertisement (gone after registration)

You need to adjust the 'relative' position of one group to another (such as with a floating group), but I can't remember how it fixes the issue as focus and aperture are independent of each other. I used to know why...

Some manufacturers gave it names like CRC (Close Range Correction) which again deals with optical performance optimisation as the lens focuses closer - in essence a floating rear group similar to the FLE. But if I remember correctly, the difference between pre-FLE and FLE is essentially mechanical in that the rear group moves rearwards in the later lens as it focusses closer. I assume that part of the problem is focus shift and that the rear group moving compensates for this as focal length increases when the lens extends as it is used at closer distances. No doubt with more complex and larger lens designs and the use of electronics it will be possible to build even better optimising/correcting lenses in the future. In the meantime both my Summiluxes seem to produce very acceptable images ....

No problem with mine in any practical situation. I actually find this lens to ¨deliver¨ the most consistens quality of all my Leica lenses. While I have a couple of other favourite lenses, this 35 I will always keep!

• Like 1