Update problems {merged thread}

Bill W

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Sometimes (I have read) that an unsuccessful update - that is, one that is interrupted before completion or has another problem erases the original firmware, making the camera unusable until it is sent back to the manufacturer to have software re-installed. Perhaps this is what you will have to do.

Some of the issues folks are having may be related to knowing how long to wait while looking at that black screen on the M10 LCD after it has been providing information as to the progress of the update. Then, suddenly the screen goes black without providing any info and one wonders, "What do I do now?" I waited a goodly amount of time as that seemed the best route to take. And it was!

This update seemed to take a bit longer than ones in the past and then I began to worry because I started with 70% battery power NOT 100% like the directions mention. BUT... I do use a 4GB card reserved only for FW updates, I format the card in the specific Leica, ignore the DCIM file and add the FW Update just alongside the DCIM file because that is the top (that is, ROOT) directory available on the card. I do keep all past updates in files made for them in case I ever have to go back (not really certain that is possible, though.)

So far, has always worked the way it is supposed to.

I also waited about 15 minutes after the black screen...

Maybe in my case it has to do with the fact that the camera already had a problem prior to the firmware update. The ISO-ring, after one week of use, worked not correctly anymore. I hoped the update would solve this problem, how wrong someone can be, now it is unusable. Problem is that I am now in Ecuador and don't dare to send it to Germany, were I bought the camera (good that I have my Sony at hand ...).

I already contacted Leica if they can send me a firmware-file. They have no clue what is happening and it seems I have to wait several months now, before getting near Wetzlar again to send it in.

As I reported in another thread, I was a Leica S user and abandoned the system also because of serious reliability issues (which I shared with a lot of folks). As German citizen, I would wish this traditional company the best, but I had to learn the hard way that their QC is not up to the task, especially as regards software and electronics in general. Really sorry to say that, but this is my conclusion for now. 

• Like 1

Why shouldn't you send it to Germany? Ask Leica to handle the shipping.

Because Ecuadorian customs is a nightmare (I had some items stuck there for months) and I am not that sure that Leica handles this swiftly. But maybe I will risk it and ask them.

Edited by siddhaarta
  • Like 1

I would be interested to have feedback on the effect of the successful update installations. For those with issues, has it made a difference? My M10s work fine with my ScanDisc cards and I have been reluctant to install the update until I hear more about the results.

Having gone through the beta and now using the released firmware without any problems (SanDisk and Lexar cards), I would encourage everyone to install the update.  If you don't and have a problem in the future, Leica will only be able to help if you first update and then reproduce whatever problem is troubling you.  In general, I always install updates as soon as I have nothing critical pending, with the objective of staying current to ensure support.

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I have a faulty display and possibly but far from sure a defect sensor. Seams its refers to as a "dead" pixel. I have to say its pretty annoying even  if my Leica store seams to be able to lend me a M 240. 

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• 3 weeks later...

This is what I wrote:

There is a requested folder. It's the folder on top of the storage hierarchy, often called the "root folder" or "root directory". The documentation explicitly names it. Most users would put the update there anyway.

I wrote it in response to this post:

If there would be a requested folder it would be documented and/or selfexplaining....

....what would be the logic behind puting it in any folder?????

IOW, you said there was no requested folder and I said there was a requested folder. Quite the same, isn't it?

And mind your manners.

• 1 month later...

So this happened today, got the M10 on the 14 of July, hardly used it. It basically just sits at home, wanting to go out and take some shots today and found out the LCD screen is playing dead. Every thing else functions just the same, expect there is no display at all. The display in the range finder is fine though. Just the bloody LCD screen. Looks like I might have the first MD version of M10.