Update problems {merged thread}

Bill W

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I started the update and waited while occasionally looking at the progress. I looked and the screen was black so I assumed it had finished. I turned the camera off and then on but nothing. My first thought was oh $#8t. Nothing worked. I took the battery out and replaced it and the red light came on when I turned it on and a message said "update failed" going into recovery mode. It went through the update sequence and said it had completed it and that it was restarting. Now it appears to work but the firmware shows it to be 0.16.24.12 Is this correct? Or should it be 1.7.4.0? I do not remember what the previous update number sequence was.

• Like 1

I carefully followed the Leica firmware instructions in English and had no problem, but interpretation of the final black screen is not explained well. There were clear progress/confirmation messages or graphic indicators at each step of the process, including one that said 1.7.4.0 was installed successfully and that the camera would restart. The screen went dark and nothing further happened for a few minutes. I turned the power switch off then on. The firmware menu item then showed version 1.7.4.0 — functions seem normal so far.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I've copied the FW update to my card, twice, and the old FW is greyed out on the card once I installed the card in the camera. Has anyone experienced this  as well?? Maybe I need a new card? Although it hasn't given me any grief until now.

Advertisement (gone after registration)

You should  fully delete any older generation firmware and then reformat the card prior to loading new firmware on to it.

I update firmware all sorts of products all the time... its part of my job to test firmware updates on active loudspeaker systems... and you never, ever use anything other than a clean and formatted card or USB device to do it. That way you can use them multiple times without issue. I have a card I use only for updating FW on my camera. I always delete any FW file and reformat it before putting it away, I do the same with any other device or USB thumb drive I use for FW updates, so it is ready, fresh and clean, for next time.

Its just simple discipline.

Edited by Bill Livingston
  • Like 4

My process is to unzip the new firmware if it needs to be unzipped (this one does not need it), then copy the new firmware into the root directory of the card that I am currently using.  The put the card back in the camera, and follow the mrf's instructions on how to start the new firmware loading.  I do erase the firmware from the card subsequently.  This has not given me any trouble with Leica (M and SL) Fuji or Ricoh.

I have survived even more terrible errors, such as turning the camera off when I thought that an upgrade must have finished by now (it hadn't, but when I turned it back on, it just continued and finished normally).

scott 

• Like 2

Ok I now reformatted my SD card. Reloaded the new firmware. Inserted in the camera and trying to reinstall to have a camera saying its firmware is 1.7.4.0 and not 0.16.24.12.......

Update successful message, blank screen. Restart OK 1.7.4.0 the only difference is that I formatted the SD card first, copied the FW to the card and then put it in the camera.

Edited by Guest

I always format the card in the camera BEFORE I load the update to the card. Its not my first time updating Leica firmware. I have done this since the M8 and my S and SL. In all these years this is the first time one has not worked the first time.

• Like 1

I just got a successful update the second time around. I wondered about the instructions where it said to use a card with at least 200 MB of free space. I am guessing that in the update process, there is a backup created on the SD card just in case the update fails which it did and then it will go into recovery mode and put the original firmware back on.

• Like 1

My camera would not allow me to update the FW. I did everything as instructed and the control to activate the update process is

grayed out. I tried everything: taking the battery out, reformatting the card, resetting the camera to factory settings, I even wanted to

reinstall the previous firmware. Nothing worked. The camera refuses to allow the update.

Any suggestions?

Mark

I cannot find any reference to update problems in the betatests  performed by our fellow forum members. 

So please follow the instructions to the letter.

The most common mistake in other firmware updates was not putting the update file in the root.

• Like 1

Thanks Jaap that is what I was doing wrong. I've only updated firmware in cameras from 3 different manufacturers probably

20 times. Eventually, I might get it right! Now it is working correctly.

Mark

• Like 1

Basically that is missing in Leica's instructions. Not only fomat the card in the camera, but do not put the update file in any folder.

FWIW, it is in step "d" of the instruction pdf file on the firmware downloads page. "Copy the firmware file to the root directory of the SD card."  :)

The root directory is a directory, the only difference to other directories being that it has no parent directory. However, many users of digital cameras appear not to be entirely comfortable with handling file structures.

The solution could lie in offering the firmware in three different packages: one for Windows users, one for Mac users and the native format. The Windows and Mac versions would contain the native format and a smallish program which moves it to the proper place on the card.

The root directory is a directory, the only difference to other directories being that it has no parent directory. However, many users of digital cameras appear not to be entirely comfortable with handling file structures.

The solution could lie in offering the firmware in three different packages: one for Windows users, one for Mac users and the native format. The Windows and Mac versions would contain the native format and a smallish program which moves it to the proper place on the card.

Great idea.  It would sell SD cards of twice the capacity, the extra storage used to support the Windows-lite, Mac-lite and whatever else is needed to support full drag-n drop functionality with views of the Sierras on the LCD screen when nothing is happening.  Think how much richer WiFi support could also be offered.  And netflix, too!

(a command-line guy.)

• Like 1

FWIW, it is in step "d" of the instruction pdf file on the firmware downloads page. "Copy the firmware file to the root directory of the SD card."  :)

Yes, but that will not be clear to all users.