New Lens

jdlaing

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Sort of. And a word on white balance.

So, pushing seventy, I had holy hell with rangefinder focusing last year. I had eye surgery 11 years ago to reattach a retina and after that became a left eye shooter. Doable but a pain in the akole. The doctor told me I would develop a cataract and 6 months ago it got bad enough to do the deal and get it removed.

A whole day of different appointments and 12-15 minutes and it was done. A rather novel experience as you are awake when they cut into the envelope, stick a vibrating rod in and pulverize the old lens and suck it out with a vacuum cleaner. Then they slip in a nifty new flexible lens. The doctor told me the lens you are born with is crystallized protein.

After going thru the eye drops, patches and the other little quirks I have brand new vision in my right eye and only wear glasses to read.

Here's the fun part. My right eye is now crystal clear with outstanding color sight and the left eye has a slight sepia cast. It's like my right eye is a nice new 50mm Summilux and the left eye is a first version summaron,

This all makes me wonder if half the grumbling about color rendering is due to the user's eyesight and not the lens or camera or monitor.

Any way.......I'm back to,using my right eye without diopter or glasses and it's wonderful. I can see the rangefinder patch again and the lens they put in is magnificent.

• Like 19

Excellent JD.....I guess now I have THAT to look forward to a little later.

If you're squeamish it will drive you nuts. After them going inside the eyeball for the retina this was a piece o cake.

• 2 weeks later...

Sort of. And a word on white balance.

So, pushing seventy, I had holy hell with rangefinder focusing last year. I had eye surgery 11 years ago to reattach a retina and after that became a left eye shooter. Doable but a pain in the akole. The doctor told me I would develop a cataract and 6 months ago it got bad enough to do the deal and get it removed.

A whole day of different appointments and 12-15 minutes and it was done. A rather novel experience as you are awake when they cut into the envelope, stick a vibrating rod in and pulverize the old lens and suck it out with a vacuum cleaner. Then they slip in a nifty new flexible lens. The doctor told me the lens you are born with is crystallized protein.

After going thru the eye drops, patches and the other little quirks I have brand new vision in my right eye and only wear glasses to read.

Here's the fun part. My right eye is now crystal clear with outstanding color sight and the left eye has a slight sepia cast. It's like my right eye is a nice new 50mm Summilux and the left eye is a first version summaron,

This all makes me wonder if half the grumbling about color rendering is due to the user's eyesight and not the lens or camera or monitor.

Any way.......I'm back to,using my right eye without diopter or glasses and it's wonderful. I can see the rangefinder patch again and the lens they put in is magnificent.

Do you happen to know if the new lens is for "near vision" or for "far vision"? I've been told that that is the choice, and that when both eyes are done, typically one lens put in is good for near vision and the other good for far vision.  I haven't had the surgery yet, but have been wondering which type lens (near vision type or far vision type) to have put into the right eye for good rangefinder patch vision without needing to use a diopter.

Do you happen to know if the new lens is for "near vision" or for "far vision"? I've been told that that is the choice, and that when both eyes are done, typically one lens put in is good for near vision and the other good for far vision. I haven't had the surgery yet, but have been wondering which type lens (near vision type or far vision type) to have put into the right eye for good rangefinder patch vision without needing to use a diopter.

The doctor set me up for distance vision so all I needed glasses for was reading.

I think the near/far you are talking about is called monovision. I had that years ago with contact lenses and after you get used to it it is fine.

Good luck. The surgery is more than worth it.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

Things were going too good.

I had a detached retina in the other eye a few days ago. Now repaired. Different procedure this time. They inject a silicone oil in the eye during surgery and you are awake. Very psychedelic.

Let's see how this progresses...........

...My right eye is now crystal clear with outstanding color sight and the left eye has a slight sepia cast....

I never had any eye surgery but I noticed the same thing with my eyes: both eyes have different color cast. My left eye sees a bit warmer and right eye a bit cooler. I can easily detect this looking at the monitor screen and putting a hand alternately over each eye. Wonder if other people noticed the same thing?

Can you leap tall buildings in a single bound too now, JD? (Or was that only part of the full Bionic Package? :D)

Very glad to hear that your sight has been improved.

Pete.

I was doing fine until 3 days ago and blew the other retina.

• Like 1

I have had both a detached retina and a cataract in my left eye treated while I lived in the Middle East about 10 years ago. Having the stitches removed with a tiny scissors after the detached retina operation was probably the most frightening part of the process. The cataract was treated about 3 years later and, while I was awake during the operation, it was not a bit frightening. Thankfully, my left eye is fine now. I have always used my right eye for focussing and I always wear my glasses for photography. The main issue I find nowadays is that both of my eyes get tired very quickly and I have to take little 'breaks' to allow them to recover on a day's shoot.

William

• Like 1