Leica M10 Firmware Update: Improved SD Card Reliability

LUF Admin

Advertisement (gone after registration)

It goes like this after you click YES to updating the firmware:

Firmware updates uncompresses (1/2 minute), installs (3.5 minutes) and optimizes (ca. 10 seconds).

The screen then says "Update Successfull" for 10 seconds and turns off the screen. 

I think the profiles is only asked if you actually have set up your own user profiles.

I had a slightly different experience

Everything went as you described

The " update successful" appeared for 10 second and then the camera automatically activated the live view and it was ready to shoot.

I did not have to restart the camera like many described

• Like 1

Nice, smooth and straight forward...since I didn't have any problems with my Lexar 64GB 2000x at all, I still decided to upgrade. Maybe some other (hidden) improvements are there, e.g. Video :-)

The Lexar card you reccomended has worked like a champ. Thanks again.

Clean and simple update for me. Was not asked to save anything at the start and got clear messages all the way through. At the end the camera rebooted to the new firmware without a power cycle.

Michael

I am still having read and write problems with 3 cards after the firmware update.

2 sandisk and 1 lexar.

under camera information - firmware 1.7.4.0 is greyed out. Is this supposed to be so?

anyone else still have the read and write problems? Only happens to DNG files

I am still having read and write problems with 3 cards after the firmware update.

2 sandisk and 1 lexar.

under camera information - firmware 1.7.4.0 is greyed out. Is this supposed to be so?

Posted 29 June 2017 - 09:27

waterman1, on 29 Jun 2017 - 08:37, said:snapback.png

Updated the new firmware, in camera information, I see the correct firmware but it is greyout.  Is this normal?

Yes.

There would only be other/more info if there is a newer firmware available on the SD card

2 sandisk and 1 lexar.

Describe the errors in detail. Did you reformat the cards in camera after the new FW install before use?

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Describe the errors in detail. Did you reformat the cards in camera after the new FW install before use?a

all cards reformated before shooting

all 6 cards still have the same problem. Sdhc cards and HDSc cards. 30mbs to 300mbs. Sandisk, Lexar and Sony, UHS1 and UHS2 cards

after taking 20 to 30 shots about 2 to 4 DNG shots will be there with a file number but no image.

Has been having this problem before the firmware update. Leica Germany said that the firmware update will fix the problem

i wonder if the firmware number 1.7.4.0 being greyed out meant that the update was not completed despite an update successful message?

anyone having the same problem still?

all 6 cards still have the same problem. Sdhc cards and HDSc cards. 30mbs to 300mbs. Sandisk, Lexar and Sony, UHS1 and UHS2 cards

after taking 20 to 30 shots about 2 to 4 DNG shots will be there with a file number but no image.

Has been having this problem before the firmware update. Leica Germany said that the firmware update will fix the problem

i wonder if the firmware number 1.7.4.0 being greyed out meant that the update was not completed despite an update successful message?

The greyed out 1.7.4.0 is as it should be. The previous version of the firmware was greyed out before the update. The firmware description only becomes live if an SD card with new firmware is loaded. 

I had no problems with Lexar 2000x before the update and only some slight faltering with 1000x; all 32GB cards. Both work perfectly since the update. I always format the cards in the camera.

Unfortunately Lexar cards are being withdrawn from the market. I have found them more reliable than Sandisk cards in recent years, whereas at one time I was a Sandisk only user. It looks likely that Sandisk will have a monopoly at the top end of the market. This will be a serious issue for users of all makes of camera.

William

Edited by willeica

It is faster, but it is impossible to quantify this. I had been testing a Fuji GFX 50 with the 2000x card and it handled the large image sizes very well. As I did not purchase the Fuji camera, I switched the card to my M240 and from there on to the M10. Whether it is worth the additional cost is hard to say. I am going to try the 1000x card in the M10 with the updated firmware this weekend. I will report back if there are any issues.

William

It goes like this after you click YES to updating the firmware:

Firmware updates uncompresses (1/2 minute), installs (3.5 minutes) and optimizes (ca. 10 seconds).

The screen then says "Update Successfull" for 10 seconds and turns off the screen. 

I think the profiles is only asked if you actually have set up your own user profiles.

Thanks, great leads and went as you described to the point. 

The 2000x Lexars will drain the buffer about 50% faster than the 1000X Lexars. But do you ever fill your buffer? I only see that as an extreme test, since I haven't shot dance or sports recently.

No never. Just wondering whether I should get one before they run out just in case.

You possibly  switched the camera off too soon. As you can see  in Overgaards's post it takes some time to install. If so you probably need a factory reset.

The intallation instructions contain a warning about interrupting the update.

You possibly  switched the camera off too soon. As you can see  in Overgaards's post it takes some time to install. If so you probably need a factory reset.

The intallation instructions contain a warning about interrupting the update.

as I mentioned earlier, my experience was different at the end to Overgaard's

After finilizing the upgrade. An "upgrade successful setting" message came up.

The camera then went straight to live view mode by itself

I did not switch the camera off.

Perhaps I should have switched it off and made a restart right after?

With the new firmware if I do an exposure compensation (any) the general info before the shot shows it correctly but after the shot, in play mode, the photo informations show always as if it was taken to -3.

Someone else with same defect ?

I've done the measurement with SanDisk UHS-I 90 Mbps, and Lexar UHS-II 1000X cards.  And compared my results with what Josh Lehrer and David Farkas posted on RedDot Forum once the new firmware was available.  Naturally, Josh and David used the fastest card they could find, which is the Lexar 2000X UHS-II.  But since I never fill the M10 buffer except for purposes of a test, this is all rather academic. 

I think this is a case that should be solved by Leica, Forum advice will not suffice. I suggest that you contact Wetzlar directly.

You should have done that if you were following the instructions given by Leica. I agree that Leica's instructions were not 100% clear, even though they seemed pretty obvious to me. My M10 is working perfectly after the upgrade. The firmware number should be greyed out. If you are continuing to have issues with cards you should contact Leica about the matter.

William