Leica M10 Firmware Update: Improved SD Card Reliability

LUF Admin

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Leica just published the firmware update  1.7.4.0 for the Leica M10 which brings improved compatibility with all SD cards.

About 40 forum members tested the update in a closed beta test. 50 different SD cards of various manufacturers were tested, especially products which caused problems in the past.

The result: Zero complaints! Thus we recommend to install the firmware as soon as possible. You'll find it in the Leica website's support area:

» Download Leica M10 Firmware

From the official installation instructions:

Improvements of SD card compatibility

Effective immediately a larger choice of SD cards is compatible with the Leica M10.

With the last Firmware, certain SD cards were not recognized, or the complete write speed could not be used with the camera.

The Leica M10 supports SDHC/SDXC cards from 1GB up to 512 GB. We recommend to use cards with write speed 80 MB/s or higher in order not to restrict the cameras performance. In single cases it can occur that the speed, stated by the cards manufacturers, differs from the effective read or write speed in the Leica M10.

Use UHS I cards instead of UHS II. The M10 is compatible with UHS II cards, but does not use the full UHS II speed.

Leica performs ongoing compatibility tests of the latest cards available in the market. We ask for your understanding that due to potential changes in production batches and software of SD cards as
they are manufactured and brought to market, Leica cannot guarantee a 100% compatibility of the recommended cards.

Thank you. It went very smoothly.

The process took rather longer than I expected – so don't get impatient.

Also, unless I blinked, there was no message saying that the installation had finished always complete or successful. The camera simply switched itself off without warning.

Switched it back on and everything was fine.

The guidelines make it look like a very smooth process but there were two discrepancies:

1) I was not asked if I wanted to save my user profiles before installation started up (but thankfully my profiles were kept intact)

2) Same as for marcg the camera simply closed down at the end so I needed to switch it off and on to proceed - a little disconcerting with the strong warning not to switch the camera off.

Once I switched the camera back on the firmware was updated, my profiles were still there and everything seems to work just fine. Touch wood.

• Like 2

It goes like this after you click YES to updating the firmware:

Firmware updates uncompresses (1/2 minute), installs (3.5 minutes) and optimizes (ca. 10 seconds).

The screen then says "Update Successfull" for 10 seconds and turns off the screen. 

I think the profiles is only asked if you actually have set up your own user profiles.

• Like 3

Never had a firmware update issue from M9 to M240, but now at end of update.... optimization, then "system will restart now", then nothing. So manually restarted camera only to find the update didn't take. After third attempt it finally took. A bit disconcerting.

Thorsten, your last sentence is a good guess but incorrect. I had user profiles defined and was relieved that they survived intact despite the process discrepancy.

It goes like this after you click YES to updating the firmware:

Firmware updates uncompresses (1/2 minute), installs (3.5 minutes) and optimizes (ca. 10 seconds).

The screen then says "Update Successfull" for 10 seconds and turns off the screen. 

I think the profiles is only asked if you actually have set up your own user profiles.

• Like 1

Yes, I would recommend updating regardless. It also resolves a couple bugs and is quite stable.

Curious, have any of the other "Bugs" that might have been addressed been listed anywhere for owners to see?  Just curious as everything i have read about this FW update only discusses the SD card compatibility improvements, thanks.

Installation goes very smooth. I must say however, that the Menu guys of the M10, compared to M9, were a bit panicky in the program process. You get messages in red like: DON'T REMOVE THE BATTERY!! This is not an incident: the messages when the battery is low aren't overly ZEN either

Edited by otto.f

I had a similar experience:  no option to save my settings (I don't have a profile defined), but it just launched into the decompression stage.  About five minutes in all.  I wasn't watching to see the messages as it finished.  But when I switched it on, everything was as I had set it.  

scott

Glad to hear some others had an unnerving moment or two when installing 1.7.4.0. - Mine didn't "take" till the second try, but then all was fine........... And I am hoping that the odd glitch I had noticed with the 32gb card I'm using - such as card not being recognised until I try repeatedly to get it to be - are now going to be things of the past............. Tony

I saw the successful message. The M10 was switched off. When I changed the SD card and switched on again. Camera information now showed (greyed out) firmware = 0.16.24.12!

I was of course expecting to see 1.7.4.0 !!!!

Camera seems to be working normally, my profiles are still there.

Curious, have any of the other "Bugs" that might have been addressed been listed anywhere for owners to see?  Just curious as everything i have read about this FW update only discusses the SD card compatibility improvements, thanks.

The 4th bug listed here was fixed:

https://www.l-camera-forum.com/topic/268492-m10-fw-requestsbug-reports/

discussed here:

https://www.l-camera-forum.com/topic/269358-camera-crash-with-visoflex-continuous-mode/?do=findComment&comment=3212371

The guidelines make it look like a very smooth process but there were two discrepancies:

1) I was not asked if I wanted to save my user profiles before installation started up (but thankfully my profiles were kept intact)

2) Same as for marcg the camera simply closed down at the end so I needed to switch it off and on to proceed - a little disconcerting with the strong warning not to switch the camera off.

Once I switched the camera back on the firmware was updated, my profiles were still there and everything seems to work just fine. Touch wood.

+1