Which lenses for an M10

tonyniev

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Here's my two cents on the matter - unless you absolutely need the faster speed of the 'lux lenses, stick with the Summicrons. They are generally regarded as the sharpest lenses in the Leica catalogue, they are much less expensive than the lux lenses and much smaller and lighter. They are readily available on the second-hand market at decent prices and seem to have much nicer build quality than the lenses below the Elmarit line. BTW, I recently found a used 28mm Elmarit and it is superb, light, sharp, beautifully made and very compact at a cost of $1100.00.It's actually sharper than the 28mm Summicron edge to edge. Some of the Elmarits are legendary for their sharpness. Check out Ken Rockwell's tests of the various lenses, they are informative.

• Like 1

[...] I recently found a used 28mm Elmarit and it is superb, light, sharp, beautifully made and very compact at a cost of $1100.00.It's actually sharper than the 28mm Summicron edge to edge. Some of the Elmarits are legendary for their sharpness. Check out Ken Rockwell's tests of the various lenses, they are informative.

Not sure what Mr Rockwell says exactly but as far as my lenses are concerned, i hardly see significant differences re sharpness between my Summicron 28/2 v2 and Elmarit 28/2.8 asph v1 down to f/4. At f/2.8 the Summicron looks sharper in borders and corners. Both great lenses anyway and the small size of the Elmarit is a big plus. FWIW.

Tony,

I think you will like the M10 and your 28 Elmarit and the 50 summarit ought to serve you well. Looking at your picture in time you might want a wider angle and a telephoto, but you can see if that really is the case. You can add slowly, but if you do want a wide angle the 21 Super Elmar is a fantastic lens and for a telephoto there are many great options, but the 90 Elmarit-M is fantastic and not too expensive. Given what you shoot a 21, 28, 50, 90 kit ought to cover everything, but you might be happy with just the 28 and 50.

• Like 2

Nice short interview, it omitted quite a lot. Putts book is the entire history of the 50mm, very detailed. I get lost in the math, but it's all there. From design to glass types to limitations in construction... all there.

I'm aware, including that his name is Puts. While densely packed with information, Puts' writing style is often less than clear.

Karbe breathes life into his own creations.

Jeff

I'm aware, including that his name is Puts. While densely packed with information, Puts' writing style is often less than clear.

Karbe breathes life into his own creations.

Jeff

Hey, Typos happen.

I agree about Karbe (the iPhone wants to change his name to Karen) but he is not the designer of all leica lenses, even in the current lineup and certainly not the current Summarits. As pointed out by another member the 50 uses the old 50 Cron design.... do I hear Mandler...

[...] I agree about Karbe [...] but he is not the designer of all leica lenses, even in the current lineup and certainly not the current Summarits. [...]

Where did you read this if i may ask? Always thought that Karbe is the designer of current Summarit lenses but i may be wrong.

Maybe it is a language problem but please explain me what means "faster" in case of fully manually operated optics?

It means that with the same light available you can use a wider aperture and a faster speed.

Lens A- max. aperture 2--------speed 1/125

Same light

Lens B max. aperture 1.4------speed 1/250

Edited by Neko
  • Like 1

It is amazing how much sharper the 50mm Summicron is at F2.8 than at F2. I use mine all the time for portraits as well as the 35mm Summilux. I'll usually set the 50mm to f4 and work as close as possible. Amazing results.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It is amazing how much sharper the 50mm Summicron is at F2.8 than at F2.

Might be time to have your lens checked (or your technique). Results wide open should be superb.

Jeff

Edited by Jeff S

It is amazing how much sharper the 50mm Summicron is at F2.8 than at F2. I use mine all the time for portraits as well as the 35mm Summilux. I'll usually set the 50mm to f4 and work as close as possible. Amazing results.

Post #16 :p...

That's why Leica launched Summarit-M 50mm (2.5/2.4).

These are almost same optical cell optimised for wide open at 2.5/2.4 and at WO, the out-of-focus lights are full circles :wub: .

Edited by a.noctilux

Post #16 :p...

That's why Leica launched Summarit-M 50mm (2.5/2.4).

These are almost same optical cell optimised for wide open at 2.5/2.4 and at WO, the out-of-focus lights are full circles :wub: .

. I had no idea. I will take a look.

Part of the perceived difference is a decrease in contrast with the Summicron at full aperture, which can be addressed in post.

But I prefer the Summilux in any case.

Jeff

Edited by Jeff S
  • Like 1