Which lenses for an M10

tonyniev

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I will be moving from Canon 5D2 , Sony A7R and on the wait list for M10, initially, I am thinking of getting either the Summarit or Summicron 35 and 50 mm, is there a difference in image quality between these? Do I get better lenses in addition to wider f stop? 

How about the jump to Summilux, the price difference is a big jump, is the image quality that noticeable? I use the camera for my travel and mostly cityscapes and landscapes. I am retired and don't have much funds, so maybe get a Summilux 35 and Summarit 50? 

Any information you can share will be useful in my decision. Thanks

There is no question about the image quality of any Leica lens, no lens is "better" than the other. Well, maybe the Apo-Summicron is slanted towards extreme specifications.

For the rest the choice is dictated by your needs and use.

Summiluxes are not better than Summicrons. They are just faster.

Summarits are not worse, they are just designed as an " economy" line but still up to Leica standards. In fact they are wonderful compact "to go" lenses and very good value.

Any lens you choose will be spectacularly  good.

• Like 5

Soden,

I will be using the M10 during my travels where I normally shoot landscapes and cityscapes...I have been shooting for 50 years now, used to shoot with Leica in films, I still have my M3 and Elmarit 28. I expect the quality to be better than what I can get with Canon L lenses and also the Sony Sonnar 55 mm, maybe the best would be to share of few of my 2016 images these are shot with Sony A7R, A6000, Canon 5D2, 7D...I will continue to shoot with DSLR for the airshows, sun and moon shots, I plan to carry the M10 in my driving around Umbria, Tuscany in October then cruise to the Aegean seas until November, Thanks for any feedback.  

https://tonyniev.smugmug.com/Photography/2016imagescollection

Jaapv,

Thanks for that info, I still have my Elmarit 28 which I found out is now rare, one in an auction for more than 2000 euro? made in 1966 still on the M3 and I occasionally use with the Sony A7R, the local store will get a black M10 tomorrow, the Leica store will get the silver in 2 months

Edited by tonyniev

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I'd answer no to both questions. The current and most recent versions of the 35 and 50 Summicrons, Summiluxes and Summarits are all fantastic. Just get the lenses you need that your budget allows. On digital the benefit of an extra stop is minuscule.

br

Philip

Do I get better lenses in addition to wider f stop? 

How about the jump to Summilux, the price difference is a big jump, is the image quality that noticeable?

• Like 3

I expect the quality to be better than what I can get with Canon L lenses and also the Sony Sonnar 55 mm...

You might be disappointed if you're expecting the Leica lenses to be better. I have the Sony 55 and the Summicron 50, and, while they're both good lenses, the Sony is definitely sharper at f2. It's also a lot more flare resistant than the Summicron.

The attraction of the M is the form factor and viewfinder rather than significantly better lenses.

• Like 1

Soden

2015 images are also about the same as 2016,

https://tonyniev.smugmug.com/Photography/2015-Images

I start with what's familiar. You already have a 28 so use that. You are comfortable with a 50 so certainly get one.

Summicron is Leica's gold standard, especially the APO Summicron's. it's not there fastest but it's the most corrected.

Summilux is their fast line, not as corrected but fantastic anyway. Many people prefer the 50 Summilux because of its rendering.

Noctilux is one of a kind.

Summarit, Elmarit, Elmar are older designs, however in the wider lenses they can't be beat. They are smaller, lighter and less expensive. They are also wonderful lenses.

In the leica world you have an artist palette of choices, you need to decide.

In my travel kit I carry a selection of old and new design, I usually have at least one fast lens and one very wide lens for architecture.

• Like 1

Tony,

If you want one 50mm to go along with your Elmarit 28mm, give Summarit-M 2.4 or 2.5/50mm a chance to please you.

As Noctilux/Summilux long time user, I appreciate more lighter/shorter lenses, now that I get older ( ;) weaker shoulders to carry gears around).

No long ago, I have found this ideal in Summarit-M 2.5/50, and just before that Elmarit-M 2.8/28 asph. (smaller than your's but not "better" in anyway).

28 + 50 is a nice combo with M10 (usable to 10 000 ISO ) to travel light and happy.

One thing that bother me with large and fast lenses, the finder blocage can be 1/4 of lower right with Noctilux and zero with 2.5/50 Summarit-M.

Arnaud

Edited by a.noctilux
  • Like 1

Most of those lenses are fairly new, in contrast to the 50 Summicron which has had the same optical design for decades.

Not true, just because it was released recently does not mean the design was not based on a older lens. Yes, the non APO 50 lingered for a while but that's because Karbe is a perfectionist. Other summicrons did progress. All of the current Summarits are based on older designs, Elmarit I believe.

Leica will always refer to older designs when calculating new lenses. In fact their main strength is the depth of their historical expertise which is unrivalled, only Zeiss can approach this level.

Not true, just because it was released recently does not mean the design was not based on a older lens. Yes, the non APO 50 lingered for a while but that's because Karbe is a perfectionist. Other summicrons did progress. All of the current Summarits are based on older designs, Elmarit I believe.

For my surprise, Summarit-M 50mm does have same optical formula as current Summicron 50.

Miracle of technology, it's far shorter and as good but no f/2 and with more aperture blades : 9 in Summarit-M and only 8 in Summicron-M.

images are  from summilux.net

http://www.summilux.net/m_system/images/Summicron50-coupe.jpg

Summicron50-coupe.jpg

Summicron 2/50 compared to

Summarit-M 50mm

below

SummaritM50-formule.jpg

Edited by a.noctilux

All lenses are based on older designs. The 50 Summicron is different in that despite cosmetic changes the optical design hasn't changed for decades. It's not correct that 'all of the current Summarits are based' on Elmarits.

I think that the small form factor of the M10 will -or at any rate should- spark anew interest in the Summarit series; they are a perfect match.

I certainly hope that there's a move back towards modestly sized lenses. It would be sad if the wow factor of faster lenses determined the future direction of lens development.

I certainly hope that there's a move back towards modestly sized lenses. It would be sad if the wow factor of faster lenses determined the future direction of lens development.

:)

As far as Leica can go with Summaron-M 5.6/28mm.

https://www.l-camera-forum.com/topic/265598-leica-summaron-28-just-announced-and-listed-merged/

I appreciate the courage of this move ... it's tiny and nice IQ, old design but new and modern coating and material.

With M10 + Aron 28, the combo is "pockettable" if not too heavy in small pocket.