Coaching/Instruction Help Needed

JonathanF.

Interesting. Is this your first camera? Am guessing not as most would not choose the 246 as their first, but don't want to assume. The M, a great camera to learn on being mostly manual. But, the 246? Best way to learn is just get out there and take shots, with some basic understanding of camera settings. I would look for some books on that. Then, being digital, lots to learn about working with images on the computer. There is much much free material on YouTube as far as tutorials on Lightroom, for example. There may even be some basic instruction on the M on YouTube as well for beginners. Do a search on "how to use Leica M", or something like that.

As far as personal coaching, I would consider asking at your camera store. Maybe they know someone willing to teach in person. Hope that helps. Good luck.

Edited by Belle123
  • Like 1

Hello, Jonathan.  Welcome to the forum.

Congratulations on your new M246.  You have a very special camera!

The good news... unlike most digital cameras sold today, your M246 - like all Leica M's - is a very basic camera.  And your owners manual describes in detail all those basic functions.  Pretty much, set ISO and shutter speed on the camera, aperture on the lens, and you're ready to focus and shoot.

Leica Akademie frequently holds one-day training sessions for new users of M cameras.  I'd contact the Leica Stores in NYC and see if they have anything upcoming.  And as Frase mentions, an evening photography class at your local community college would be an excellent option.  As would any number of basic photography books.  Again, the good news with your M246 is that its controls are basic and timeless.  You could pick up a photography book from 50 or 75 years ago and other than that you're shooting digital rather than film, everything would apply.

Good luck!

• Like 1

Assuming you know the basics of photography, you only need to learn the basics of using an M. For the latter, the following FAQ will give you a great start....

https://www.l-camera-forum.com/topic/216580-leica-m8-m82-m9-m9p-mm-mtyp240-faqs-questions-with-answers/page-1

The Monochroms differ in only a few respects, which have been discussed in these threads and are easily understood. These relate primarily to use of color filters and care not to overexpose.

The rest is just practice. Not everyone loves the RF experience, but you'll soon know if it suits.

Jeff

• Like 1

My thanks to everyone who took the time to respond and offer much valued advice.

Many many years ago my camera was a Rollei and I did all my own B/W processing.

Now I am (very) fortunate enough to return to the "hobby" with superb gear intending to make pictures from all the "art" that surrounds me in ordinary things.

I am overwhelmed by digital's complexity.  

I need to sort out and master the most basic functions/operation of the 246 and P 800 printer.

Complicating my case is that I am not technically-oriented: the kind of dummy who never even mastered "programming" my VCR!

Looks like I best read up on/recall my old film camera "skills."

Just need - I guess - to have the camera basic/default "set up" to allow me to get out a practice.

Again....thank you all!

My thanks to everyone who took the time to respond and offer much valued advice.

Many many years ago my camera was a Rollei and I did all my own B/W processing.

Now I am (very) fortunate enough to return to the "hobby" with superb gear intending to make pictures from all the "art" that surrounds me in ordinary things.

I am overwhelmed by digital's complexity.  

I need to sort out and master the most basic functions/operation of the 246 and P 800 printer.

Complicating my case is that I am not technically-oriented: the kind of dummy who never even mastered "programming" my VCR!

Looks like I best read up on/recall my old film camera "skills."

Just need - I guess - to have the camera basic/default "set up" to allow me to get out a practice.

Again....thank you all!

You'll love the experience of getting back to the proper way of using a camera I can assure you! I don't even use Aperture priority - manual only :) You already know how to do it as the basics is like bicycling. Once learned you only need to freshen up old skills. Enjoy you M246 - it's a fantastic camera.

• Like 1

The P800 is a great little printer, too! Be sure to visit the digital post-processing part of the forum for some useful discussion. If you're willing to spend another $800 or so, ImagePrint 10 will greatly simplify your print workflow. It does a lot behind the scenes to eliminate setting and software issues, and to improve print results. And it will eliminate any need to purchase custom paper profiles or profiling gear.

Once you get going with the camera and printer, stop back as often as needed for any specific concerns and questions.

Happy shooting.... and printing.

Jeff

• Like 1

ImagePrint 10: does it "replace" (for example) LIghtroom? (It too seems awfully complex!)

I use LR for my editing, then with a simple click move to IP for printing. Another click, and I'm back in LR. This is easily accomplished by initially setting up IP as an external print editor in LR. There's a simple set of online instructions to set this up.

Once set, no need to change. IP takes over the Epson print driver, and automatically makes all the appropriate settings for each paper, so that you never again have to worry about forgetting a LR or printer setting or worrying that other software updates from Apple or Adobe screw anything up.

There are simple videos on the IP site. And the service reps are exceptional at assisting with any concerns in setup or use.

The result is a simpler, more foolproof process, not a more complex one. Additionally, unlike LR, you're always in softproof mode, so what you see is what you get. And you get superb custom profiles for every imaginable paper, for varying display lighting, and including gray scale. All you do is choose your paper/size and desired profile. There are also excellent tools for final print sharpening and contrast. I also like the print layout tools better than LR.

Oh, and print results are improved. An alternative for an all b/w print workflow with your M246 is another dedicated Epson with a third party all black inset like Jon Cone's Piezography system.... but you don't want to even begin dealing with those complexities...IP is a breeze by comparison.

Jeff

Edited by Jeff S
  • Like 2

ImagePrint 10: does it "replace" (for example) LIghtroom?  (It too seems awfully complex!)

You don't need Imageprint. Some people swear by it, others, like myself, haven't yet encountered the problems it solves.

I get my profiles for free or for a few pounds as a one-off, then build them into a Lightroom preset together with the Epson printer settings.

But I don't doubt that Imageprint does the job as well.

My current problem is a clogged printer head on my R3000. That's once too many just when I was printing for an exhibition. The P800 arrives next week!

• Like 1

My current problem is a clogged printer head on my R3000. That's once too many just when I was printing for an exhibition. The P800 arrives next week!

Well, I recommended against the R3000 for many here, suggesting instead the 3800 or 3880. One didn't 'need' the latter machines, but they improved greatly on the R3000. IP10 is another tool not needed, but much appreciated by those who have adopted it. I doubted its worth at one point; now I wouldn't be without it. The trial is free.

Jeff

Edited by Jeff S
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

The 246 is such a perfect camera, I only very seldomly use Lightroom. If I use it, then mostly because I have it and it is part of the work flow. Any other software will work with your camera probably as well.

Goncrats to your new Leica gem!