fireworks and the SL

ryee3

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Going to New York on the 4th of July.   what are best photo  viewing areas with the best backgrounds.

Also, best iso, shutterspeeeds, lenses.  On the SL is there something that i have to program to simulate a cable release?

Thanks for everyone's comment!

Ahem... buy a cable release ? When this camera can be fully controlled by an phone ?

Just download the Leica SL app for iOS ( or Android ) and shoot the camera from there (i.e., trigger the shutter and adjust settings from there)

There are times when using the Leica SL app is not as convenient or as precise as having a remote release. I use both, depending on what I'm doing. 

• Like 1

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I entirely agree with Ramarren .

I use the phone if I want to alter the point of focus without touching the camera, e.g. on a tripod to produce a set of images for focus stacking. For normal tripod based shots e.g landscapes I use the cable release.

...but I do find that using the app for release by phone eats battery life compared to using a cable release. 

Graeme

• Like 1

could you elaborate on this statement please?

I prefer a cable release if I'm near the camera. The iPhone app is irritating to setup for me and it lost the wifi connection several times when I was doing long (5+ minute) exposures.

• Like 1

Apart from being a novel digital technology, why would one want to use the app for this purpose rather than a cable release? I'm genuinely puzzled.

To my mind, the app is useful when you can't easily look in the VF or see the back screen, either because of the positioning of the camera (e.g. ground level) or because you've placed the camera on its tripod at a distance. In other circumstances the app (including setting up the connection etc) just involves far more steps than a cable release.

• Like 1

It's really simple for me: 

• I use the app when I need to control the camera in a setup where it's difficult to get to the controls and viewfinder without getting in my own or the camera's way.
  • I use the cable release when all I need is to release the shutter without jiggling the camera and need immediate responsiveness from the shutter release. 

Both are great, they have different purposes. 

• Like 1