Upgrade from X Vario?

mikeodial

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Firstly, let me state, I am very happy with my X Vario. However, there is always a need for more resolution and was wondering if anyone had any opinions of what they think is coming up that would be good upgrade. I already have a Sigma SD Q H and Nikon D810, so am familiar with these brands.

The portable nature of the X Vario, great lens and super OOC shots make me love it, but there is always that desire for more. 

Or not as the case may be. 

The SL is a beast to hold/carry; not particularly Leica-like IMHO.  Do you (or we/most of us) really need the resolution?  I guess it can be nice to have more for cropping.  The Fuji X Pro 2 w zoom does really well in that regard (dare I say that here). 

It is sad seeing what Leica have rolled out, M after in lieu of further developing the X line, with marketing for success.  Files I get from my X and got from my X1 allow for all the enlarging I need.

David

• Like 2

The SL is excellent, but it is heavy and expensive and very differnent to the Vario. As you are in

principle happy with the Vario, this seems not to be an alternative for you. I would wait a

little bit, because of some reasons. There is a new CEO with Leica - he might reconsider the stop of

the Vario line, which would seem to be a good idea in my mind. On the other hand there will probably

come a new Leica TL with a new sensor with higher resolution. This might be a alternative for you. So I

would wait until app. the end of the year, if there will be new developments. Perhaps something new

will already be announced in teh course of September/November. In teh meanwhile I would enjoy my Vario, which is a very good camera.

• Like 1

Sage advice from Heinz, David, and Guy, and I'll echo their advice.

I've looked a bit at the SL, but it is prohibitively (to me) priced, recent price drop notwithstanding, and looks like a beast as well physically.

My X-Vario travelled Europe with me two years ago, and will again in a month, as a travel camera I am certain it is tops, for me anyway.

If it gets elbowed slightly to one side in a month it will be simply because my film cameras demand more of my time and interest.

Gary

• Like 6

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Sage advice from Heinz, David, and Guy, and I'll echo their advice.

I've looked a bit at the SL, but it is prohibitively (to me) priced, recent price drop notwithstanding, and looks like a beast as well physically.

My X-Vario travelled Europe with me two years ago, and will again in a month, as a travel camera I am certain it is tops, for me anyway.

If it gets elbowed slightly to one side in a month it will be simply because my film cameras demand more of my time and interest.

Gary

+1 Gary  I have also been shooting film more lately and I know it will pass and I'll be back to digital but it is fun shooting and processing film.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

The new TL looks like a very good upgrade in terms of resolution, although it will offer a different shooting and handling experience, not to mention costing a lot more.

It would have been great if the X Vario had sold more, then it would have got the same sensor and performance upgrade as the TL.  I liked the X Vario a lot when I held it, but the sensor performance just wasn't quite what I was hoping for.

Edited by Archiver

The new TL looks like a very good upgrade in terms of resolution, although it will offer a different shooting and handling experience, not to mention costing a lot more.

It would have been great if the X Vario had sold more, then it would have got the same sensor and performance upgrade as the TL.  I liked the X Vario a lot when I held it, but the sensor performance just wasn't quite what I was hoping for.

I am interested what you didn't like about the X Vario sensor performance and compared to what? Thanks in advance. 

• Like 1

Firstly, let me state, I am very happy with my X Vario. However, there is always a need for more resolution and was wondering if anyone had any opinions of what they think is coming up that would be good upgrade. I already have a Sigma SD Q H and Nikon D810, so am familiar with these brands.

The portable nature of the X Vario, great lens and super OOC shots make me love it, but there is always that desire for more

Or not as the case may be. 

Have you considered using the XV with high quality supplementary close-up lenses … e.g. the Raynox DCR-150 which screws straight into the XV's 43mm filter thread? This is no ordinary cheapo c/u lens … it's a 3 element achromat which enables results comparable to marque macro lenses and when used at the XV's 70mm zoom setting enables close focus to within a few inches of the subject. There are several XV forum threads explaining how to use supp. c/u lenses with the camera e.g. :

https://www.l-camera-forum.com/topic/250569-further-close-up-experiments-x-vario-raynox-cu-lenses/?hl=elpro

dunk 

• Like 2

Have you considered using the XV with high quality supplementary close-up lenses … e.g. the Raynox DCR-150 which screws straight into the XV's 43mm filter thread? This is no ordinary cheapo c/u lens … it's a 3 element achromat which enables results comparable to marque macro lenses and when used at the XV's 70mm zoom setting enables close focus to within a few inches of the subject. There are several XV forum threads explaining how to use supp. c/u lenses with the camera e.g. :

https://www.l-camera-forum.com/topic/250569-further-close-up-experiments-x-vario-raynox-cu-lenses/?hl=elpro

dunk 

Funny you should say that, I just purchased the two Elpro Leica lenses and am await a step up filter adapter to use them. I think this will be very interesting, as I like to grab the odd macro photo while out and about. 

The TL2 has been released, and the resolution has been upgraded to 24 megapixels.

This is the most straightforward upgrade.

Another possibility is the Sony A6000/A6300/A6500 which also have 24 MP sensors.

There's an autofocus adapter for Leica R/M lenses by Techart Pro.

Toshi

• 3 months later...

I am interested what you didn't like about the X Vario sensor performance and compared to what? Thanks in advance. 

I much preferred the look of the images that come from the Ricoh GR, and even the Ricoh GXR aps-c modules.  The GR has no AA filter, and the aps-c 50mm and 28mm modules have a very weak AA filter.  Also, the GXR Leica M-mount module has no AA filter.  The way the Ricoh cameras show detail was better than what I was seeing in the X Vario.  Much more crisp and with better micro contrast. 

No matter what I did with the X Vario DNG files in Lightroom, I couldn't get the same kind of detail and microcontrast as with the Ricoh cameras and modules.  The X Vario files had a slightly plasticky look when viewing surface detail at 100%, whereas the Ricoh files seemed to have better colour variation and 'texture' when viewing the same things.

I had the same issue with the X 113.  Handling and ergonomics were great, but the files didn't have the same or better quality than the Ricoh cameras I use.  If I'm paying that much money for a camera, it ought to produce images which are as good or better than my existing gear.  I loved how the X Vario handled but that wasn't enough for me.

I haven't used the GR and can't speak to the files or how they handle. I've used and currently use other digital cameras including RD-1 M8, M9,RX-1, X100, MM and Fuji X Pro2. I find the files from the X 113 right in there and easy to work with. If someone thinks they need larger files, that's one thing.

After direct comparison testing with other cameras, I would characterize the AA filter on the X 113 as relatively weak. For my money it contributes to a well balanced roundness in the images. The files are in no way un-sharp, just not squeaky clean or sterile, or edgy in quality. My sense is the same is true of the X Vario. We see many images from both cameras here and elsewhere that speak for themselves. But then, on my M cameras, I'm perfectly satisfied with the Summicron v4, not the sharpest knife in the block but plenty sharp and consistently delivers a look that I enjoy.

Here below is a snap that I think exemplifies one aspect of what the X 113 does nicely. To my eyes, it's plenty sharp with nice 3d quality and color.

165376262.eH1KVC63.FocusingatpointDefian

Edited by DwF

• 1 month later...

You've probably heard about the Leica CL already, but in case you haven't - this looks like a good upgrade.

Toshi

There is also the possibility of further evolution of the CL line with either a fixed prime lens or fixed zoom lens on a CL body. The latter would be the perfect X Vario upgrade.

I believe such developments would have wide appeal to upgraders and new converts alike. If interested, register your interest and swell this thread. Look at the popularity of the X Vario picture thread.

I can foresee controversy over choice of focal lengths for the fixed prime lens version, but let that not deter a very promising line of development.