The Leica Forum uses cookies. Read the privacy statement for more info. To remove this message, please click the button to the right:    OK, understood.

Photo
- - - - -

Upgrade from X Vario?

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 mikeodial

mikeodial

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 70 posts

Posted 28 June 2017 - 15:55

Advertisement (Gone after free registration)

Firstly, let me state, I am very happy with my X Vario. However, there is always a need for more resolution and was wondering if anyone had any opinions of what they think is coming up that would be good upgrade. I already have a Sigma SD Q H and Nikon D810, so am familiar with these brands.

The portable nature of the X Vario, great lens and super OOC shots make me love it, but there is always that desire for more. 

Or not as the case may be. 

#2 wda

wda

Erfahrener Benutzer

• Members
  • 6,497 posts
  • City / Ort:Wiltshire UK

Posted 28 June 2017 - 21:03

Leica SL? If you can face up to size and weight.

David
www.davidaskham.com -
(Leica user since ... a very long time ago)

#3 Guytou

Guytou

Erfahrener Benutzer

• Members
  • 494 posts
  • City / Ort:MONTAUBAN (82) en FRANCE

Posted 29 June 2017 - 11:49

And also at the price ...  :wacko:  

Guy

#4 DwF

DwF

Erfahrener Benutzer

• Members
  • 482 posts

Posted 01 July 2017 - 19:45

The SL is a beast to hold/carry; not particularly Leica-like IMHO.  Do you (or we/most of us) really need the resolution?  I guess it can be nice to have more for cropping.  The Fuji X Pro 2 w zoom does really well in that regard (dare I say that here). 

It is sad seeing what Leica have rolled out, M after in lieu of further developing the X line, with marketing for success.  Files I get from my X and got from my X1 allow for all the enlarging I need.

David

• gbealnz and ropo54 said thank you to this

#5 HeinzX

HeinzX

Erfahrener Benutzer

• Members
  • 3,307 posts
  • City / Ort:Linz

Posted 02 July 2017 - 08:54

The SL is excellent, but it is heavy and expensive and very differnent to the Vario. As you are in
principle happy with the Vario, this seems not to be an alternative for you. I would wait a
little bit, because of some reasons. There is a new CEO with Leica - he might reconsider the stop of
the Vario line, which would seem to be a good idea in my mind. On the other hand there will probably
come a new Leica TL with a new sensor with higher resolution. This might be a alternative for you. So I
would wait until app. the end of the year, if there will be new developments. Perhaps something new
will already be announced in teh course of September/November. In teh meanwhile I would enjoy my Vario, which is a very good camera.
  • ropo54 said thank you to this
Regards/Grüsse

Heinz

#6 gbealnz

gbealnz

Erfahrener Benutzer

• Members
  • 3,316 posts
  • City / Ort:Hamilton. NZ

Posted 02 July 2017 - 09:21

Sage advice from Heinz, David, and Guy, and I'll echo their advice.

I've looked a bit at the SL, but it is prohibitively (to me) priced, recent price drop notwithstanding, and looks like a beast as well physically.

My X-Vario travelled Europe with me two years ago, and will again in a month, as a travel camera I am certain it is tops, for me anyway.

If it gets elbowed slightly to one side in a month it will be simply because my film cameras demand more of my time and interest.

Gary

• adelie, DwF, ronnjay and 3 others said thank you

#7 DwF

DwF

Erfahrener Benutzer

• Members
  • 482 posts

Posted 03 July 2017 - 07:38

Sage advice from Heinz, David, and Guy, and I'll echo their advice.

I've looked a bit at the SL, but it is prohibitively (to me) priced, recent price drop notwithstanding, and looks like a beast as well physically.

My X-Vario travelled Europe with me two years ago, and will again in a month, as a travel camera I am certain it is tops, for me anyway.

If it gets elbowed slightly to one side in a month it will be simply because my film cameras demand more of my time and interest.

Gary

+1 Gary  I have also been shooting film more lately and I know it will pass and I'll be back to digital but it is fun shooting and processing film.

• gbealnz said thank you to this

#8 Archiver

Archiver

Erfahrener Benutzer

• Members
  • 661 posts

Posted 12 July 2017 - 06:29

The new TL looks like a very good upgrade in terms of resolution, although it will offer a different shooting and handling experience, not to mention costing a lot more.

It would have been great if the X Vario had sold more, then it would have got the same sensor and performance upgrade as the TL.  I liked the X Vario a lot when I held it, but the sensor performance just wasn't quite what I was hoping for.

Edited by Archiver, 12 July 2017 - 06:43.

~ Loving Every Image Captured Always ~
http://www.flickr.com/photos/archiver/

#9 mikeodial

mikeodial

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 70 posts

Posted 12 July 2017 - 17:17

The new TL looks like a very good upgrade in terms of resolution, although it will offer a different shooting and handling experience, not to mention costing a lot more.

It would have been great if the X Vario had sold more, then it would have got the same sensor and performance upgrade as the TL.  I liked the X Vario a lot when I held it, but the sensor performance just wasn't quite what I was hoping for.

I am interested what you didn't like about the X Vario sensor performance and compared to what? Thanks in advance. 

• Photomic38 said thank you to this

#10 dkCambridgeshire

dkCambridgeshire

Sponsoring Member

• Premium Member
  • 5,409 posts
  • LocationCambridgeshire
  • City / Ort:Cambridgeshire

Posted 13 July 2017 - 12:44

Firstly, let me state, I am very happy with my X Vario. However, there is always a need for more resolution and was wondering if anyone had any opinions of what they think is coming up that would be good upgrade. I already have a Sigma SD Q H and Nikon D810, so am familiar with these brands.

The portable nature of the X Vario, great lens and super OOC shots make me love it, but there is always that desire for more

Or not as the case may be. 

Have you considered using the XV with high quality supplementary close-up lenses … e.g. the Raynox DCR-150 which screws straight into the XV's 43mm filter thread? This is no ordinary cheapo c/u lens … it's a 3 element achromat which enables results comparable to marque macro lenses and when used at the XV's 70mm zoom setting enables close focus to within a few inches of the subject. There are several XV forum threads explaining how to use supp. c/u lenses with the camera e.g. :

https://www.l-camera...enses/?hl=elpro

dunk 

• Guytou and mikeodial said thank you to this

Well they would say that!!  :lol: … Wouldn't they?? :blink: 

#11 mikeodial

mikeodial

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 70 posts

Posted 13 July 2017 - 21:50

Have you considered using the XV with high quality supplementary close-up lenses … e.g. the Raynox DCR-150 which screws straight into the XV's 43mm filter thread? This is no ordinary cheapo c/u lens … it's a 3 element achromat which enables results comparable to marque macro lenses and when used at the XV's 70mm zoom setting enables close focus to within a few inches of the subject. There are several XV forum threads explaining how to use supp. c/u lenses with the camera e.g. :

https://www.l-camera...enses/?hl=elpro

dunk 

Funny you should say that, I just purchased the two Elpro Leica lenses and am await a step up filter adapter to use them. I think this will be very interesting, as I like to grab the odd macro photo while out and about. 

#12 dkCambridgeshire

dkCambridgeshire

Sponsoring Member

• Premium Member
  • 5,409 posts
  • LocationCambridgeshire

Posted 13 July 2017 - 22:13

Elpro lenses work fine with the XV provided adapters are either made or purchased.

Good luck.

dunk  

#13 gbealnz

gbealnz

Erfahrener Benutzer

• Members
  • 3,316 posts
  • City / Ort:Hamilton. NZ

Posted 13 July 2017 - 23:07

Indeed they do Dunk, as you have shown.

The devil is in the adapters though, as both of us had to fabricate our own.

Gary

• dkCambridgeshire and mikeodial said thank you to this

#14 mikeodial

mikeodial

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 70 posts

Posted 14 July 2017 - 15:47

Indeed they do Dunk, as you have shown.

The devil is in the adapters though, as both of us had to fabricate our own.

Gary

This the one I ordered 

#15 dkCambridgeshire

dkCambridgeshire

Sponsoring Member

• Premium Member
  • 5,409 posts
  • LocationCambridgeshire

Posted 14 July 2017 - 16:09

This the one I ordered 

Should work fine … I made my own and also had one custom made which cost a lot more than $29.

Good luck

dunk 

• mikeodial said thank you to this

#16 TMorita

TMorita

Neuer Benutzer

• Members
  • 173 posts

Posted 17 July 2017 - 08:58

The TL2 has been released, and the resolution has been upgraded to 24 megapixels.

This is the most straightforward upgrade.

Another possibility is the Sony A6000/A6300/A6500 which also have 24 MP sensors.

There's an autofocus adapter for Leica R/M lenses by Techart Pro.

Toshi

#17 Archiver

Archiver

Erfahrener Benutzer

• Members
  • 661 posts

Posted 21 October 2017 - 03:21

I am interested what you didn't like about the X Vario sensor performance and compared to what? Thanks in advance. 

I much preferred the look of the images that come from the Ricoh GR, and even the Ricoh GXR aps-c modules.  The GR has no AA filter, and the aps-c 50mm and 28mm modules have a very weak AA filter.  Also, the GXR Leica M-mount module has no AA filter.  The way the Ricoh cameras show detail was better than what I was seeing in the X Vario.  Much more crisp and with better micro contrast. 

No matter what I did with the X Vario DNG files in Lightroom, I couldn't get the same kind of detail and microcontrast as with the Ricoh cameras and modules.  The X Vario files had a slightly plasticky look when viewing surface detail at 100%, whereas the Ricoh files seemed to have better colour variation and 'texture' when viewing the same things.

I had the same issue with the X 113.  Handling and ergonomics were great, but the files didn't have the same or better quality than the Ricoh cameras I use.  If I'm paying that much money for a camera, it ought to produce images which are as good or better than my existing gear.  I loved how the X Vario handled but that wasn't enough for me.

~ Loving Every Image Captured Always ~
http://www.flickr.com/photos/archiver/

#18 DwF

DwF

Erfahrener Benutzer

• Members
  • 482 posts

Posted 21 October 2017 - 04:40

I haven't used the GR and can't speak to the files or how they handle. I've used and currently use other digital cameras including RD-1 M8, M9,RX-1, X100, MM and Fuji X Pro2. I find the files from the X 113 right in there and easy to work with. If someone thinks they need larger files, that's one thing.

After direct comparison testing with other cameras, I would characterize the AA filter on the X 113 as relatively weak. For my money it contributes to a well balanced roundness in the images. The files are in no way un-sharp, just not squeaky clean or sterile, or edgy in quality. My sense is the same is true of the X Vario. We see many images from both cameras here and elsewhere that speak for themselves. But then, on my M cameras, I'm perfectly satisfied with the Summicron v4, not the sharpest knife in the block but plenty sharp and consistently delivers a look that I enjoy.

Here below is a snap that I think exemplifies one aspect of what the X 113 does nicely. To my eyes, it's plenty sharp with nice 3d quality and color.

165376262.eH1KVC63.FocusingatpointDefian

Edited by DwF, 21 October 2017 - 04:49.

0 user(s) are reading this topic