Getting a used 240 after a Q

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Hi there. I’ve currently got a LEICA Q. It’s great. A real step up from my X100. A friend is selling his M240 for around £2500. Seems like a great deal. I’d love a m10 but there’s the wait and the cost. A used M240 gets me close for half the price.

My concern is that the Q has spoilt me. Things I love are the ISO, Wi-fi, minimalistic approach etc. I hear the M240 is only good to around iso 3200. I’m not sure I can go back to that limitation. I’m used to shooting 6400 on my 9 year old D700, and on the Q. Even the menu UI on the 240 seems busier than the Q.

It’s a saving over the m10 and less of a wait but is it going to make me feel like I’ve taken a step back? Am I going to feel constrained?

It's all relative...

http://www.reddotforum.com/content/2015/06/bw-iso-showdown-leica-m-monochrom-typ-246-vs-m-monochrom-m9-vs-m-typ-240/

The M10 will provide higher ISO capability than the M240, along with other refinements that have been covered well. Both are capable cameras. As usual, user tastes and preferences vary.

Why not just test your friend's camera and draw your own conclusions?

Jeff

I have the Q as well and bought a used like new M262. I had canceled my M10 order and was a bit worried about ISO and that I would regret picking the 262.

Sofar am happy, For low light I will revert back to Q, The longer lenses (Summicron 50 and 90) wouldnt work as well in low light to begin with, the short lux on the Q is really hard to beat.

I would strongly recommend looking at low light pictures on Flickr and form your opinion that way

I plan on uisng the 262 for a while and see if the range finder experience actually sticks with me.

I trust you would keep the Q around, correct?

And do not forget the autofocus of the Q, you're may be used to.

And M is hard work and a Q is easy photography to me.

I went from M9 to the Q, to the M-D and I think I am happy now.

For me, the total shooting experience is more important than extreme high ISO.

Coming from film, ISO 1600 is already a treat.

• Like 1

Yeah I'd keep the Q. It's fantastic and I'm not brilliant with manual focus. I've got a M6 and I'm ok with it but film costs money so I rarely use it.

I think the m240 might be a good buy. Less than the m10, which I can't get right now and isn't a crazy amount on something I may not adapt to.

Well, today morning i called my dealer asking for a Q and i have M240 & MP 240. I have been spoiled by auto focus and high iso ability of Sony A7r & A7S. Now i would never never ever dare to go ISO 3200 even though the sony's would easily goto 100k ISO. My teacher . Thorsten. taught me that if indoors just turn the iso to 3200 and forget it. I trusted him and did so. The M's are fantastic at 3200. If possible keep the Leica Q. Manual focus is hard but if you memorize where 6 ft is or 3 feet is on the focus tab, everything is easy. Start from infinity and then focus in. 2500 is a good price. go for it

Only you will know whether ISO 6400 is needed or not (dark alley, slow glass, more DOF, fast shutter etc. etc.). If you really need it then go for M10, else M240 is more than good.

And the $4300 differential can buy quite a number of those f-stops back!   

• Like 1

I have and do use one for commercial work and street. But its a mood killer in the wrong place. It wouldn't have helped me at the weekend at a festival with dimly lit projections n things.

Thanks for the replies guys. Meeting the seller on Saturday for a test.

• 5 weeks later...

Pete, the used M240 gives you better than an M10 for more than half the price, IMHO. The M10 is not so far more than the M240 and doesn't even have the movie trick. M240 is a wonderful camera 

Edited by epand56
  • Like 2

Am I going to feel constrained?

You need to attempt to calculate for yourself the advantage of a M over the Q.

Only real advantage is multiple focal lengths ... if that is a concern.

Dependent upon your age and the state of your physical limitations of vision the M may

be a step backwards.

In my 60s I can work with the M but prefer the Q ... In fact ... when I do not carry my Hasselblad MF X1D ... I use the Q.

It is faster ... less intrusive and gives me a file that will stand with the Hasselblad ... albeit at a bit smaller size.

So you gain a bit ... and will over time expend a huge amount of resources as you jump lens to lens ... looking to 

match the Q in different focal lengths. 

I have to agree with Viramati ... having had most of the Ms analog through digital ... three versions of the S cameras and two Qs.

It is hard to top the Q ... which is why Leica has not replaced it IMHO.

Bob

I had the Q and MP240, sold the Q after six months of usage. Great glass, superb IQ, nice EVF, but I couldn't justify the cost spent on the Q.

It really depends what you're after. Cost to me was the reason for making the decision

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro