The red Leica Apo - Summicron dilemma

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I got myself a a red 50 Apo half year ago, background is here 

https://www.l-camera-forum.com/topic/268162-so-i-got-myself-a-red-lens/

3 days ago i shipped my old black 50 Apo to Switzerland.

I have enjoyed using the red APO a lot past half year. I am suddenly part time professional and it makes a good conversation piece. 

I got a nasty surprise today 

https://www.schouten-select.eu/index.php/new-arrivals/leica-50mm-f2-apo-summicron-red-anodized-limited-edition-box.html

23500 Euros... i bought it for 7500 Euros.

I really still like the idea i wrote about in the first post. I love the lens, but noway i am walking around with 30 000€ worth of equipment on my shoulder.  The special insurance i have for the half amount of equipment is crazy expensive.  

Have you guys seen other prices on that lens? 

It's really a dilemma.  

It's typical Schouten over-pricing, I think.  As another example, he has a Model I B listed for a price that is more than twice what I paid earlier this year for much nicer at Leica Shop Vienna (and no one accuses Vienna of selling cheaply).  I also watch Schouten's M7 Titanium Set, priced at 200,000 Euros, sometimes showing it to friends for a laugh.

Anyway, happiness knows no price.  Enjoy your lens!

• Like 2

I got a nasty surprise today [...] 23,500 Euros ... I bought it for 7,500 Euros. [...] no way I am walking around with 30 000€ worth of equipment on my shoulder.

This lens isn't worth € 23,500 until some dork actually disburses this insane amount of money. The lens being offered at that price doesn't mean anything.

• Like 1

Relax! In fact, it is not a nasty surprise, but rather a very pleasant one. I assume you did not buy your red lens to make money, but instead to take pictures, so it is simply nice to know that your lens may increase in value despite taking good pictures. The Schouten price is likely just an attempt to find out at what price this lens may eventually be sold (apparently, nobody bought it yet).

Cheers,

Andy

Make very sure you don't lose your lens cap, maybe a stick on retainer and string. There appears to be nothing available other than the black 14398 cap now. I wanted a silver/chrome one to use on my 75th Anniversary LTM chrome 50 Summicron, where on a Barnack camera, the cheap plastic lens cap just looks wrong. The 50 APO cap fits. There were silver/chrome finish APO 50 Summicrons sold, presumably with a matching cap but the two Leica dealers I have contacted have been unable to source one. I am guessing the same would apply to the red cap. I am going buy a black 14398 cap and spray it chrome with an air-brush and Vallejo chrome model paint. 

Wilson

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Schouten declares it as SOLD : not to me... ( :D) .. and I suspect not at 23.500 Euros ;) ... but it is anyway a "limited edition" item, so isn't strange that a complete as new kit is valued more than the original "standard" price...

Edited by luigi bertolotti

Unless you are in danger of throwing it down a drain, what are you worried about?

Be happy and secure in the knowledge that when you decide to sell, if ever, you will likely make a profit. Until then, use it in good health, and celebrate the reason you purchased it in the first place.

Edited by Mute-on

Unless you are in danger of throwing it down a drain, what are you worried about?

Be happy and secure in the knowledge that when you decide to sell, if ever, you will likely make a profit. Until then, use it in good health, and celebrate the reason you purchased it in the first place.

Perhaps OP is concerned for, not , but personal safety whilst wearing such a bauble. A red anodized albatross now?

s-a

• 5 months later...