SL native ISO

wooferdog

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Some measurements were done and the result is that the sensor uses dual conversion gain (which is quite common).

So the sensor has actually two base settings that are very close in characteristics:  ISO 50  and  ISO 200.

The measurements have been published at Photons to Photos. And also DPR has written about them.

https://www.dpreview.com/forums/thread/4124741

So I would typically use ISO 200 as a base setting. (in my eyes slightly better than ISO 50). But 100 is also not far away and can be selected with good results.

It would be very interesting, if Leica could give more details about it - not just a "discussion" without any technical content. I am not sure how many details Stefan Daniel knows about it, or how much he is allowed to disclose.

• Like 3

While the 'dual conversion gain' nature of the SL sensor nets two 'base ISO' settings, in practical terms seeing any difference in the capture rendering at any ISO from 50 to 400 is almost impossible without tools to measure it. I don't need any further details about it, to be honest, as they will not inform my photography with any advantageous benefit; it would be of academic interest only. 

If I want the very best capture quality the camera is capable of and would like to take advantage of some automation convenience, I'd set the AutoISO limits to 50->400 and forget it (with fw 3.0, which finally fixed the AutoISO issues I found with all prior revisions). At those sensitivities, it nets three stops of ISO range that the camera can use and extends use of the automation in an advantageous way with virtually no discernible change in image quality. I can even go so high as ISO 800 with only very minor degradation to the image. :D

• Like 4