7artisans 50mm F1.1 Leica M Mount

AntonioF

Since there is nothing really unique about the way a Leica lens renders on either a Leica or non-Leica body, how would you tell?  It appears to me that the debates here about bokeh, micro contrast etc really get in the way of appreciating the actual image.  I think back to famous images from the past and I doubt the photographers who took them really worried about trivia as to which lens has the best bokeh or highest resolution.

• Thanks 1

if you can't know- then the answer must be yes? right?

if we are talking film cameras then I can't see how a Leica body can possibly 'render' differently than a non-leica body: assuming everything is up to spec. With digital cameras there will be a difference from sensor to sensor- but that difference has virtually nothing to do with how Leica lenses render.

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, ktmrider2 said:

Since there is nothing really unique about the way a Leica lens renders on either a Leica or non-Leica body, how would you tell?  It appears to me that the debates here about bokeh, micro contrast etc really get in the way of appreciating the actual image.  I think back to famous images from the past and I doubt the photographers who took them really worried about trivia as to which lens has the best bokeh or highest resolution.

I know for myself- I have never once- ever looked at a photograph I didn't take- and wondered about what lens was used. Content is KING.

• Haha 1

Leica M7 + Ferrania P30 at ISO 50

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Edited by miguel
emphasis added
  • Like 3

Advertisement (gone after registration)

On 11/15/2018 at 11:27 AM, lct said:

As long as the LUF rules are not modified or officially interpreted, displayed pics are supposed to be taken with some Leica or Leica partner equipment and/or have a strong relationship to a Leica subject. This could be the case in comparos between a 7a or Sigma lens on the Leica SL vs the same lens on a Sony or Sigma body for instance. But the Sony pics above have no relationship to a Leica subject if i'm not mistaken. Ugly Sony & 7a user speaking 😉.

So what about pictures shot with a Voigtlander Bessa RxA with, say, a Zeiss M lens?

And I don't really know if pros worry about bokeh or micro contrast, but I know several working professionals who shoot for National Geographic and my oldest friend has a Pulitzer for photography and none of them worry about things that seem to be debated here forever and ever ie which version of the (name focal length) Summicron is the best?  Content is KING!

And how would anyone here know if someone posted an image claiming it was taken with a certain Leica lens but horror of horror, it was shot with a Zeiss, Voightlander or even a Nikon?  

I seem to remember David Douglas Duncan put Nikkor lenses on his screw mount Leica's to cover the Korean War because Leica products were not up to snuff.  Of course, that was in 1950 but?

Probably not, but that's not the point is it. This is a Leica forum, mainly it's about the gear. There are other websites/forums out there is you are more interested in seeing and sharing photos in general.

The forum rules are set by the forum owner, if you have a problem with them contact him directly with your views.

Well, rules are rules but honestly there is no way of knowing if the rules are complied with.  Again, I suggest that the differences between lenses of identical focal lengths are so minimal as to make id'ing a Leica lens over a Zeiss lens as very difficult, especially if reproduced on a computer screen.  I am not trying to stir up anything but I certainly can't see much difference on my Mac Pro so just trying to be practical.

Am 16.11.2018 um 18:56 schrieb Simone_DF:

So what about pictures shot with a Voigtlander Bessa RxA with, say, a Zeiss M lens?

I totally understand your point and usually I am pretty open about those things.

But, since this is the "L-camera-forum", where "L" stands for "Leica" as far as I know, there should be a closer relation to Leica than just the lens mount.
Following this logic, it would be OK to use a Leica lens on a Bessa or a Zeiss M lens on a Leica. If no Leica product was used, we should refrain from showing the picture here.

I, however, think that showing such an image should be ok for comparison reasons, i.e. in order to show possible differences e.g. between a typical Leica set-up (M10/Cron 50) and a Sony (A7III/Zeiss 50) one.

• 2 weeks later...

Dear god, I ordered the new 7Artisans 28mm 1.4 today and just a few minutes later I stumble upon this little gem of a 50mm 1.1 instruction video.

I am trying to convince myself not to shoot myself in the face right now. I hope the quality of these lenses is nothing near this brand representation......

Anybody out there anything useful to add after some months usage of the M lenses?

Edited by Naampje